The "meddling" Kim Pegula???

LabattBlue

I have no recollection of before 6 or so. None.  And 7-middle school is sketchy. I assume my memory loss is for different reasons though.   :ph34r:

Lulz.

But, more seriously: It's instructive to hear that another person has no real memory of life up until age 5, 6, 7 -- for whatever reason. Given the sort of person that she evidently is, it seems as though her brain just started dumping the unpleasant and/or non-useful memories overboard.

Lulz.

But, more seriously: It's instructive to hear that another person has no real memory of life up until age 5, 6, 7 -- for whatever reason. Given the sort of person that she evidently is, it seems as though her brain just started dumping the unpleasant and/or non-useful memories overboard.

Kidding aside, I assume that is my situation as well.

I think I only have a single memory prior to kindergarten.  I can remember being up in the attic and finding a box of toys (I think they were my older brother's), around the time my parents added an extra bedroom up there, which would make me about 2.  Next thing I remember is kindergarten.  So I don't remember much before 5 either.

Also, those early memories fade as you get older.  I seem to think I probably remembered more details of my early life when I was 10 than now when I'm over 50.

Edited by Robins Egg

Like others my earliest memory is about age five.  Ever heard of Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory?  Only a handful of people have been identified as having this ability where they can recall events and details from any day in their life instantly. Actress Marilu Henner has this ability, when she was interviewed by Stern a few years ago it was fascinating to hear the mundane details she was able to recall from her daily life in the 1970's.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I have no opinion as to what normal is. Actually I have no say as to what normal is. Never really remembered much really young iTinSn stuff. The first few horrible accidents in my 20's(some IW related and some not) had awakened some really old memories. The more crazy shiznit that happens(all IW related at this age) the more memories I seem to recall. It's weird. I remember my gold butterfly collared suit with the black tie I wore to my Kgarden graduation. Our teacher, Mrs. Walker, wore a purple paisley dress that was "sorta short for a teacher" I remember my mother saying. We sang it's a small world after all and I hated that song. I remember thinking "this is BS that they're making me sing this so I just mouthed the words." The details that I recall about the silliest things is spooky at times. Spoooooooooky

Also, those early memories fade as you get older.  I seem to think I probably remembered more details of my early life when I was 10 than now when I'm over 50.

This is a good point.

My wife said to me the other day, "tell [one of our kids] that story about what happened in the school's parking lot when you went looking for that hockey ball you lost ... ."

I was all "huh?"

She says: "That story you told me back when we were dating -- it was that one where you were still in pre-school [and so on]."

So, I told her that story some 20 years ago or so. I don't remember it now.

Fair points.

Sorry to have doubted you, Mrs. Pegula.

I remember a tunnel, a light, crawling through some brush and watching a man in a white coat slap my mother. I have no idea what that's all about.

Finally, how're you going to cover that sort of ground and not have some tissues handy? C'mon, Sal!

Anyone? Really? Come on, this is low-hanging fruit.

In regard to the autobiographical memory thing, did you see where they looked back at 20 year old footage of Merilu Henner and she was able to give details about what was in them? Or the steelers fan who could recall the date, and score and details of any game when asked at random? There also is some science behind it too as they noticed differences in brain morphology by MRI vs. age and gender matched control subjects.

What I take out of yet another Pegula puff piece is that even back then Terry relied on his heart (on) and hired people who weren't qualified. No wonder an accountant, a lawyer and a finance guy comprised his early hockey braintrust. And LaFontaine. And Battista. Cute young girls, pals, hockey heroes, cronies. Hope he did better with the Murray hire. Even that won't look great if it doesn't work out — if he was trying to win a Cup, why did he hire a first-time GM? As with Kim, was it the eyes?

What I take out of yet another Pegula puff piece is that even back then Terry relied on his heart (on) and hired people who weren't qualified. No wonder an accountant, a lawyer and a finance guy comprised his early hockey braintrust. And LaFontaine. And Battista. Cute young girls, pals, hockey heroes, cronies. Hope he did better with the Murray hire. Even that won't look great if it doesn't work out — if he was trying to win a Cup, why did he hire a first-time GM? As with Kim, was it the eyes?

I am not disagreeing with the rest of your point but... nothing looks great if it doesn't work out.

If he was trying to win a Cup why did he let his new GM hire a cup winning coach, and make sure the team had the best odds of drafting an impact player, and letting his GM trade the franchise goalie who was aging.  Your point on Murray is really weak. Hell the leafs hired every ex/former guy they could find and I think they are still 4 ways from friday.

Edited by LGR4GM

What I take out of yet another Pegula puff piece is that even back then Terry relied on his heart (on) and hired people who weren't qualified. 

You've made this point before. I don't think it holds water.

If money talks (as it most certainly does in business), then there's 4.7 billion dollars saying that Pegula has developed decision-making criteria that work, for him anyway.

The idea that Terry Pegula's foundering out there by hiring hacks, cronies, and eye candy is one that cannot be squared with the weight of historical facts.

It's fair to wonder -- shoot, it's fair to conclude -- that he's had some learning to do in his transition to the role of owner of pro sports teams. And I think he's getting it figured out. 

Spoiler alert (and SHOCKER): He's not done making mistakes. Until we're taking dirt naps, none of us are.

The idea that Terry Pegula's foundering out there by hiring hacks, cronies, and eye candy is one that cannot be squared with the weight of historical facts.

The Sabres have foundered under Pegula's watch. Only an assumption that the tanking scheme will work would lead someone to say otherwise.

The Sabres have foundered under Pegula's watch. Only an assumption that the tanking scheme will work would lead someone to say otherwise.

Agreed.  However are you prepared to argue that Terry Pegula has done nothing to correct that floundering?  And I am not saying the tank, I am talking management moves.

[Aud Smell:] The idea that Terry Pegula's foundering out there by hiring hacks, cronies, and eye candy is one that cannot be squared with the weight of historical facts.

Ah, wait a second. You didn't quote me in context. The bolded piece addresses your point.

You've made this point before. I don't think it holds water.

If money talks (as it most certainly does in business), then there's 4.7 billion dollars saying that Pegula has developed decision-making criteria that work, for him anyway.

It's fair to wonder -- shoot, it's fair to conclude -- that he's had some learning to do in his transition to the role of owner of pro sports teams. And I think he's getting it figured out. 

Spoiler alert (and SHOCKER): He's not done making mistakes. Until we're taking dirt naps, none of us are.

It really is just a Rorshach test of sorts: Look at the Sabres since February 2011. Now tell me, what do you see? 

PA: I see a billionaire buffooon who hires unqualified people, meddles too much in hockey decisions, and can't stop tripping over his own d*#k.

Smell: I see a billionaire owner who was somewhat naive, operated a bit too much like a fan, and of late seems to be working to correct past mistakes.

Agreed.  However are you prepared to argue that Terry Pegula has done nothing to correct that floundering?  And I am not saying the tank, I am talking management moves.

Please. It's foundering.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Smell: I see a billionaire owner who was somewhat naive, operated a bit too much like a fan, and of late seems to be working to correct past mistakes.

We're not that far off. It's just a matter of degree. More than somewhat and a bit too much. I tend to agree he seems to be trying to change. I won't let LGR make me say he actually has corrected that foundlering, though.

Pegula has made moves intended to correct the foundering.  The Sabres are still a last place team until the new season starts and the record gets re-set to 0 - 0.  Their team looks better on paper, but until the puck drops... 

What I take out of yet another Pegula puff piece is that even back then Terry relied on his heart (on) and hired people who weren't qualified. No wonder an accountant, a lawyer and a finance guy comprised his early hockey braintrust. And LaFontaine. And Battista. Cute young girls, pals, hockey heroes, cronies. Hope he did better with the Murray hire. Even that won't look great if it doesn't work out —[/b] if he was trying to win a Cup, why did he hire a first-time GM? [/b] As with Kim, was it the eyes?

Glad to see the myth of the proven winner lives on. Executives winning a championship with multiple teams is one of the rarest events in sports. Hiring someone who has won before could not possibly mean less when making a hire for future success.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.