The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

Teams rally around their goaltender. If they feel more confident in their goalie they can push the puck a bit more and take some chances. Which is why the Sabres have a little pep in their step and a big reason why teams we're facing look flat (because they're playing their backups).

As a team, they are much more competitive within the game. They are IN every game of late.

There is a second line. Ennis-Zemgus-Moulson

There are two defensive Pairs: Gorges-Myers

Risto-Zads

I'm much less worried about goal-tending.

Enroth might not be the final dominant answer - but he might just be a Marty Biron.

I don't think you need to worry much about finding bottom 6 forwards they can always be found.

What is needed is a top forward line and a bottom D pair.

That's some progress in my mind even if the team isn't more competitive in the league standings yet.

This is the most coherent post on the state of the Sabres I have seen.

I think this - not tanking - is the truest reflection of Tim Murray's plan.

It's a rebuild guys. Pieces are slowly being put in place.

And we have the assets to add more.

As a team, they are much more competitive within the game. They are IN every game of late.

There is a second line. Ennis-Zemgus-Moulson

There are two defensive Pairs: Gorges-Myers

Risto-Zads

I'm much less worried about goal-tending.

Enroth might not be the final dominant answer - but he might just be a Marty Biron.

I don't think you need to worry much about finding bottom 6 forwards they can always be found.

What is needed is a top forward line and a bottom D pair.

That's some progress in my mind even if the team isn't more competitive in the league standings yet.

They are in every game because their goaltending has a save % of .930 while the opposition has a save % less than .900 over the last 14 games. Not because they are even in terms of puck possession and shots take - a hot goalie can cover up a lot of warts.

This is the most coherent post on the state of the Sabres I have seen.

I think this - not tanking - is the truest reflection of Tim Murray's plan.

It's a rebuild guys. Pieces are slowly being put in place.

And we have the assets to add more.

Essentially the same sentiment has been shared previously but not in the organized and specific manner that he did it.

I don't actually think that the GEM line is a "great" second line, but it's passable on a good defensive team who has a great first line and solid bottom six mixtures.

I use a different measure. What team in the east would we take 4 of 7 from? As currently constructed, I am at a loss to name one. Let's not even mention the west. Until we can name one I keep rebuilding and collecting talent/assets. I just don't see it today.

I use a different measure. What team in the east would we take 4 of 7 from? As currently constructed, I am at a loss to name one. Let's not even mention the west. Until we can name one I keep rebuilding and collecting talent/assets. I just don't see it today.

Carolina. Otherwise we would only maybe hang with Ottawa, New Jersey and Columbus while unhealthy.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr. Murray, Or How 11 Learned to Stop Worrying and Accept the Tank:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/is-tanking-for-connor-mcdavid-morally-indefensible---trending-topics-150155141.html

Excellent article.

I'm never going to love the tank, but I have come to accept it as the best outcome of this season. Tickets are already paid for anyway.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/is-tanking-for-connor-mcdavid-morally-indefensible---trending-topics-150155141.html

Excellent article.

I'm never going to love the tank, but I have come to accept it as the best outcome of this season. Tickets are already paid for anyway.

Just think of it as an suck cost investment with the potential for better future gains. If we get a generational talent like McDavid you should be able to sell your tickets for any games you won't be able to attend in the future for more money.

http://sports.yahoo....-150155141.html

Excellent article.

If you can, even grudgingly, accept the tank then Buffalo is going to get at least one championship in the next decade. This is a stunning turn of events.

Just think of it as an suck cost investment with the potential for better future gains. If we get a generational talent like McDavid you should be able to sell your tickets for any games you won't be able to attend in the future for more money.

"Suck cost investment." I like that even if unintentional.

Excellent article.

Thanks for posting the link. My favorite part of that article;

"Players and coaches are in the trenches here. Obviously. They're playing for professional pride and contracts and to not get fired. You expect maximum effort from them and you typically get it, even if they know how much of a slog this season was always going to be. But if you ice a roster of bottom-six AHLers against NHL teams, they can try all they want; they're going to get slaughtered. Buffalo hasn't taken it to that extreme, but to look at this roster and think it was designed to do anything besides lose as many games as possible specifically to get elite young talent through the draft. And remember, they have three first-round picks and two more in the second this year thanks to the Islanders and Blues — following five first-round picks and seven more in the second over the last three drafts — so there are a lot of bullets in that chamber."

We've been saying this for a while - it doesn't matter if the team is trying to win - if they lack the talent to do so, then the inevitable outcome is losing.

Heck, we could take a bunch of Forum members, suit em up, make them the new Sabres; everyone would want to win, but it ain't happening.

Thanks for posting the link. My favorite part of that article;

"Players and coaches are in the trenches here. Obviously. They're playing for professional pride and contracts and to not get fired. You expect maximum effort from them and you typically get it, even if they know how much of a slog this season was always going to be. But if you ice a roster of bottom-six AHLers against NHL teams, they can try all they want; they're going to get slaughtered. Buffalo hasn't taken it to that extreme, but to look at this roster and think it was designed to do anything besides lose as many games as possible specifically to get elite young talent through the draft. And remember, they have three first-round picks and two more in the second this year thanks to the Islanders and Blues — following five first-round picks and seven more in the second over the last three drafts — so there are a lot of bullets in that chamber."

We've been saying this for a while - it doesn't matter if the team is trying to win - if they lack the talent to do so, then the inevitable outcome is losing.

Heck, we could take a bunch of Forum members, suit em up, make them the new Sabres; everyone would want to win, but it ain't happening.

D4rk and Josie apparently have good chemistry. I hear PA's skating has really improved

And you know Yuri would have our backs.

But I don't think Eleven could co-exist in the same dressing room as Stafford.

Edited by dudacek

Excellent article.

Fully agree. Don't like the tank but i'm not delusional thinking we are a playoff team. Still going to as many games as I can though despite the losses. I'll enjoy the wins when they happen.

Excellent article.

Unfortunately, finishing DFL IS the best outcome for THIS season.

Their locking it up can't get here soon enough, because when and if that day arrives it will be an early Christmas present - the tank will be officially completed prior to game 82. And that day truly will be AWESOME.

Unfortunately, finishing DFL IS the best outcome for THIS season.

Their locking it up can't get here soon enough, because when and if that day arrives it will be an early Christmas present - the tank will be officially completed prior to game 82. And that day truly will be AWESOME.

I feel like on that day we should celebrate... god it's been years since there was any hope surrounding this pile of puke that Darcy turned our team into. Ryan Miller getting run is such a milestone for the franchise.

I feel like on that day we should celebrate... god it's been years since there was any hope surrounding this pile of puke that Darcy turned our team into. Ryan Miller getting run is such a milestone for the franchise.

Pretty sure I will.

Hopefully when that day comes somebody somewhere holds up and pours a stale warm appletini on the floor for Darcy. :censored:

I get the eyes on the prize part of it all but it's painful to watch this as a long time fan.

The solution is simple for me. I don't watch. I had center ice ever since I moved to NC, but the decision was easy not to order it knowing what was in store for these two seasons. The only fans that I feel bad for in all of this are the season ticket holders. If it didn't constitute a public admission to tanking and that fan suggestion box was still open to Ted Black, I'd submit that all season ticket holders who endured through the two full tank seasons should be heavily compensated.

I hope I never need to see the word tank and Sabres in the same sentence again after July 2015.

Even if we fall short of McEichel and with a top five looking like a lock, I'm certain the tank in Buffalo is done for a very long time after this year.

Edmonton is a very bad team. They may have better goal differential and higher scoring than the Sabres, but the Oilers are just as likely to finish dead last. Question is will the Sabres dump Stewart, Stafford or any other play TM does not intend to have on his team in the upcoming seasons. Oilers traded Perron for a 1st round pick. Helps their attempt to tank for Mceichel. Honestly think it'll be between Buffalo and Edmonton. Carolina is improving and have Jordan Staal back in the lineup. So continue to lose Buffalo! I'm all for the tank.