NHL BOG adopts new draft lottery for 2015 - NHLPA must okay.

PromoTheRobot

http://www.wgr550.co...hanges/19302837

The assumption is this is bad news for the Sabres. The only way that is true is if it's a given we are trying to tank again, which the NHL is obviously trying to discourage with this move.

I think our #2 pick is a reminder that tanking doesn't guarantee anything. We'd be better served trying to actually win some games. At least we have two tickets (or three if playoff teams are included) in the lottery.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This is bad news and a total joke. Don't know all the details yet but if every non-playoff team has a better chance at #1 than the league should be ashamed of themselves. You want parity look at the NFL. Worst team picks first end of story. Most teams don't intentionally tank anymore. Players take too much pride in themselves just to throw games. Yes I know it's the GM plays apart in most of this but most GM's don't tank if they want to keep their job.

Breaking News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It probably needs its own thread. When one of the mods wakes up they may want to transfer the stuff out of the 2015 draft thread which is more about the players and trades and such then the changing of rules.

This was just discussed on WGR, the fact that the reason the owners change things is almost always about revenue. Peters was talking about it and how ppl wanted Tavares to get exceptional status to enter the NHL draft early. He said the only reason to change something draft related at this stage is that revenue is what drives the NHL

I bring this up because while I don't believe that the NHL is conspiracy against Buffalo, I think they are in general conspiring against smaller media markets in an effort to line their own pockets. That is just solid business ideals but as a fan, total ######.

When this comes into effect we'll already be making our first steps towards respectability which will give us an increased chance at picking first whether we deserve it or not. I prefer the worst gets first model. The league will eventually realize their folly and go back to the old system or a hybrid of the two in 6 or 7 years. Its just the way bush leagues do it.

I guess I'll make this comment here, since it's THE thread and all...

But, folks, I wouldn't worry about how this changes the previously accepted function of the draft, which is basically to help bad teams acquire players who will help them, eventually, become better teams.

What will happen is that in June of 2016, they're going to have another board of governors meeting and reinstall the system that was in place before this current lottery system. Because, you know, the generational talent will have come and gone and Buffalo will not, hopefully, be in a position to tank again.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I like the move by the NHL. The objective should always be winning and no team should ever go into a season trying to minimize wins in order to maximize draft lottery balls. People on this site have been talking about losing on purpose for well over a year... that is exactly what the NHL is trying to discourage.

From what I'm reading, if we're dead last again in 2014-2015, the odds favor us ending up with the #2 pick. That is no different than this past season.

Having its own thread is probably good, but the title is misleading. It isn't official yet.

Sorry, I'll fix it, but it's not that misleading.

Since this topic was raised, I want to say something about threads on SS.

I appreciate the desire to maintain efficiency but it can go too far. Funneling new topics into existing threads makes SS look like a dead board.

I'm sure the dozen or so of you who dominate this board would disagree but anyone who is a casual reader would think that nothing is happening here because the topics never change. I don't have the time or the desire read every thread before posting, nor should I have to.

Take sister site TBD an example. There is a constant influx of new topics. Some may be similar to existing threads, and if they are too similar, a mod closes and/or merges it. Every time I come here it looks like nothing has changed in months. And I'm sure others feel the same way.

So lighten up.

I appreciate the desire to maintain efficiency but it can go too far. Funneling new topics into existing threads makes SS look like a dead board.

I'm sure the dozen or so of you who dominate this board would disagree but anyone who is a casual reader would think that nothing is happening here because the topics never change. I don't have the time or the desire read every thread before posting, nor should I have to.

Take sister site TBD an example. There is a constant influx of new topics. Some may be similar to existing threads, and if they are too similar, a mod closes and/or merges it. Every time I come here it looks like nothing has changed in months. And I'm sure others feel the same way.

So lighten up.

As of late, I'm having a hard time figuring out which thread is devoted to which topic. They all sort of merge into the same draft/free agents/current roster discussion. This new thread fits a specific topic, which is great.

I like the move by the NHL. The objective should always be winning and no team should ever go into a season trying to minimize wins in order to maximize draft lottery balls. People on this site have been talking about losing on purpose for well over a year... that is exactly what the NHL is trying to discourage.

From what I'm reading, if we're dead last again in 2014-2015, the odds favor us ending up with the #2 pick. That is no different than this past season.

NFL seems to be working fine without a lottery. Difference is the top teams usually have the best quarterbacks or they have a very good quarterback with a top defense.

1. This was not done w/ the intention of screwing the Sabres.

2. This may have been done with the intention of letting a struggling market, like Florida, get a better chance at McDavid.

3. This may hurt the Sabres, but it may also help: I expect the Islanders to have a lottery pick next year, and the odds on that pick might improve.

4. Incredibly stupid timing by the league, though. It means all teams that made deals involving 2015 picks (not just the Sabres) did so in reliance on a system that no longer exists. Maybe, if he had known about this, Snow would have kept the 2015 pick, for instance. There really should have been more lead time.

So lighten up.

Very well said.

There really should have been more lead time.

Also well said, and your last line is the key. The timing does make it look like it's about the Sabres and McDavid.

NFL seems to be working fine without a lottery. Difference is the top teams usually have the best quarterbacks or they have a very good quarterback with a top defense.

The NFL is quite different than the NHL given the much greater number of players per team in the NFL. The impact of any one NFL player is less than in the NHL, with a few "franchise QB" exceptions like Andrew Luck going at #1 overall.

The NFL is quite different than the NHL given the much greater number of players per team in the NFL. The impact of any one NFL player is less than in the NHL, with a few "franchise QB" exceptions like Andrew Luck going at #1 overall.

On the flip side, the NBA has a system similar to the NHL, and it has done precisely zero to deter tanking. Yes, one player in the NBA means more than in the NHL, but there are also fewer "sure things" high in the NBA draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.