Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Any word on the Edmonton presser?

In case you want to watch it yourself, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0dWt9X9hIs

Also, I found this video the other day. A fan's POV on the situation. I know the Sabres have been a struggle bus for awhile, but I'm not sure anything compares to the dumpster fire that is Edmonton.

Edited by Josie914

I have no sympathy for the Oilers, but I can understand McTavish's difficult position.

The value of their assets right now won't return what the club thinks they're worth.

For example: a year ago there was no way they would take Tyler Myers for Eberle.

Right now, there is no way they could get Tyler Myers for Eberle.

If McT really does believe in the core and building around it, what he should be doing is shopping their first pick.

It's the only asset he has that may be overvalued at the moment.

But I doubt his bosses would let him do that, even if he has the balls himself.

I have no sympathy for the Oilers, but I can understand McTavish's difficult position.

The value of their assets right now won't return what the club thinks they're worth.

For example: a year ago there was no way they would take Tyler Myers for Eberle.

Right now, there is no way they could get Tyler Myers for Eberle.

If McT really does believe in the core and building around it, what he should be doing is shopping their first pick.

It's the only asset he has that may be overvalued at the moment.

But I doubt his bosses would let him do that, even if he has the balls himself.

I respectfully disagree. McTavish should understand that the 1st round picks up to this point have been a type of player that you can't build an entire team around. He has the very real probability of being able to draft Connor McDavid who is a player to build around. He should be doing what DR did last year. Sell off your talent for what you can get and start picking multiple players in the top 2 rounds. That 1st round pick this year is probably the only asset he has that is untouchable.

There is another fundamental problem for Edm and that is their woeful understanding of player development. Leon Draisaitl wasn't ready for the NHL. That was obvious after 2 games let alone 9. The kid can't skate well enough to play at NHL speed. He is heavy but not necessarily strong. The fact they did not return him to juniors but instead did what they always do and keep him on the Oilers speaks to the fundamental flaw within the Oilers. They lack the patience and ability to allow proper development. They do not think ahead. It is a main reason for their current predicament.

If I was McTavish I would hold onto Taylor Hall, Leon, and Hopkins up front. Klefbom and Nurse on defense. My draft picks this season. Everything else would be a fire sale. That said I would not rush to move those assets because you have to allow other teams the time to get more desperate. Eberle now is worthless in a trade because the belief is that McTavish has to move him. If McTavish sits tight and inches closer to the deadline the value will increase. He just has to realize that once the deadline is starting to get closer the pressure will shift back to him yet again. It is a dangerous game of cat and mouse.

The Oilers will be garbage this year. They will be garbage next year. Most likely the year after that they may start to inch out of the cellar but only if they stop rushing prospects, draft players that aren't carbon copies (Hall, RNH, Yakupov) and recognize that they need to draft defense. Theoretically the tear down of the Oilers to get them back to a place to build from could take you an entire year or two. That is honestly how messed up they are as a franchise. I invite people to listen to the words coming out of that locker room. It is beyond toxic with almost 0 accountability.

The Oilers will be garbage this year. They will be garbage next year. Most likely the year after that they may start to inch out of the cellar but only if they stop rushing prospects, draft players that aren't carbon copies (Hall, RNH, Yakupov) and recognize that they need to draft defense. Theoretically the tear down of the Oilers to get them back to a place to build from could take you an entire year or two. That is honestly how messed up they are as a franchise. I invite people to listen to the words coming out of that locker room. It is beyond toxic with almost 0 accountability.

Sounds so familiar. The Sabres appeared to have turned that corner, but they were pretty much there last season. All this talk of patience with the tank and all and really it's only been not even two years and we're starting to see the uptick.

Interesting what goal support can do for a goalie, eh?

Neuvirth in goal on Saturday. So ends the run of Enroth.

It's okay. Neuvirth was staking his claim as #1 as the streak started. His injury opened the door for ETHRON. I think it's time for the two-headed monster approach: Neuvirth plays until he loses or the Sabres play on consecutive nights, then Enroth takes over under the same conditions. You win, you move on to the next game. You lose, the other guy gets a shot. Then if/when one of them gets hot, you ride 'im, baby.

Interesting what goal support can do for a goalie, eh?

It's okay. Neuvirth was staking his claim as #1 as the streak started. His injury opened the door for ETHRON. I think it's time for the two-headed monster approach: Neuvirth plays until he loses or the Sabres play on consecutive nights, then Enroth takes over under the same conditions. You win, you move on to the next game. You lose, the other guy gets a shot. Then if/when one of them gets hot, you ride 'im, baby.

Serious inquiry. What recent examples are there where an active platoon has worked? My take is that is disruptive and neither guy gets in sync.

Rumor: "There are rumors swirling that the Boston Bruins might acquire Jordan Eberle.

The Oilers might get Chris Kelly and Niklas Svedberg or Malcolm Subban in return. The move would make some sense for Boston as they're struggling offensively and it might shake things up in Edmonton enough to spark the team. At the same time, Oilers GM Craig MacTavish has been reluctant to alter the team's core, so we'd take this trade rumor with a grain of salt."

Source CSN New England

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.