Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

It was a gratuitous shot at Miller indeed. I thought we were allowed to do that to professional athletes here. It's the translation of the name that made me chuckle — and then attack.

It's over. I apologize, and as a result of this scandal, I will not be running for president in 2016.

The real gem here is Eleven, thinking he had been doxxed, doxxed me, and in the process, himself! You can't make this stuff up! I still love you, pal.

Maybe. But that comment could refer to a bunch of white kids' "crazy" names too. It's not a racial issue. I think this is a good example of how the word "racist" has been so watered down so as to mean almost nothing. My original commentary wasn't about the name Bhodi. But what if it had been? It doesn't make me a racist. I'll tell you another good, old-fashioned, solid name that should be brought back though — Strom.

Was my opening sentence not clear enough? What followed that was a general point, not directed at you.

Edit: put another way, not everyone who uses that sort of phrasing is a racist, but if somebody is a racist, that's the type of thing they'd say because they sure as hell aren't going to say "I really dislike how colored folk have weird names."

Edited by TrueBluePhD

You're painting yourself more and more into a racist/intolerant type. This is the nuts. Sorry people don't make the same choices that all your clean white friends do.

Clean? I think you've forgotten where I live.

Was my opening sentence not clear enough? What followed that was a general point, not directed at you.

Edit: put another way, not everyone who uses that sort of phrasing is a racist, but if somebody is a racist, that's the type of thing they'd say because they sure as hell aren't going to say "I really dislike how colored folk have weird names."

And I wasn't directing my comments back at you. You're not the one who watered down the term here.

Or maybe it's novelty names, instead of the good, old fashioned, solid names we used to have. 

This was a bad sentence, and I can see why it bothered Tank. But I can defend it. Novelty and old-fashioned are essentially opposite words. Note that I didn't write, "or maybe it's the ethnic names..." And I don't think any reasonable person would say "novelty" is some code word for "ethnic." Anyway, it's apparently not a novelty name at all, but a cultural reference. My bad.

Also, I wrote: "If anyone in our respective families would have pulled this name out, for this reason, we'd all be rolling our eyes." For this reason. What reason? It translates to "enlightenment." Now, to be fair, I don't know that's why they chose the name. And even if they did, more power to them. Again, it was just a shot at Miller.

Protest too much? Maybe. Now I'm done.

I'd say let's hug it out, but there's that whole lack of cleanliness thing you just alluded to...

Let's put it this way. We didn't have water for days on end, and no one could tell the difference from before...

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

It was a gratuitous shot at Miller indeed. I thought we were allowed to do that to professional athletes here. It's the translation of the name that made me chuckle — and then attack.

It's over. I apologize, and as a result of this scandal, I will not be running for president in 2016.

The real gem here is Eleven, thinking he had been doxxed, doxxed me, and in the process, himself! You can't make this stuff up! I still love you, pal.

Maybe. But that comment could refer to a bunch of white kids' "crazy" names too. It's not a racial issue. I think this is a good example of how the word "racist" has been so watered down so as to mean almost nothing. My original commentary wasn't about the name Bhodi. But what if it had been? It doesn't make me a racist. I'll tell you another good, old-fashioned, solid name that should be brought back though — Strom.

Screw Strom, when is the last time you saw a baby named Larry? In 40 years once the old ones have died off we're not going to have anyone left named Larry. Oh well.

My main issue with it besides causing the kid problems down the road is the whole "my kid i a special little snowflake that has to have a unique name so nobody else in any of his or her classes will ever have the same name as him or her". We get it folks. Your kid is special, just like everybody elses.

I read an article years back about a family that got taken to court for naming their daughter V a g i n a Davis and the judge made them change it to Virginia Davis luckily. He should have also made the parent's change their names to Mr. And Mrs. Dipshit McF u c k wad and Self-righteous Cuntface just to see how they like it when going to the bank, the DMV, the airport, and other places that require showing identification.

Edited by Drunkard

Love the devolution of this season. 

I'm gonna take Igor's side here. I'm sure there's a correlation between celebs and awful, embarrassing names. I'm no pop culture guy, but Blanket, North, Suri... All pretty obnoxious and a manifestation of a celeb's desire for attention. The unfortunate thing is they are pushing this narcissism on to their offspring, whether they want it or not. 

I know plenty of kids of non-celebrities that have goofy names too. It's just a thing some people do.

until you go out to fine dining restaurant and their little shits are kicking the back of your both and screeching because mom and dad can't be bothered to smack the little brats upside the head because that isn't pc so RUN WILD KIDS!!!!  :censored:

I need a beer.

If you're going to restaurants where (and when) parents are comfortable bringing their kids, you're doing "being young" wrong. :)

I think I've said my peace. Having an issue with somebody because of a name is silly. Things like naming your kid "North" when their last name is West is worth some gripes (although you might get the benefit of the doubt if your claims to fame weren't a sex tape and naked photos)... Naming somebody "Bodhi" because of your heritage is completely fine and shouldn't be thought about any differently than naming somebody "John" because you prefer the simple route.

I know I guy named North, it's a great name. He comes by it honestly though, with a very common Swedish last name.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.