Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

I'm gonna say this:  I've been reading PA's posts for ten years.  The unqualified sadness of how I waste time here aside, it's going to take a lot more than this for me to think he's racist.  That is not an accusation that should be tossed around lightly.  I'm betting that if they named the kid "Apple," he'd hate it just as much if not more.

Old man?  Definitely.  Curmudgeon?  Sure.  ######-stirrer, you bet.  But I just don't think he's a racist.  And I certainly can't think so based solely upon this.

Edited by Eleven

The claim is based in racism. I'm not calling him a racist. This rant is. Intolerance of things that are culturally different is racist. Or whatever prejudice you want to label it.

If somebody makes a dumb decision that doesn't mean they're an idiot.

Edited by Tank

The claim is based in racism. I'm not calling him a racist. This rant is. Intolerance of things that are culturally different is racist. Or whatever prejudice you want to label it.

Now that's not true at all.  There's a whole Hollywood culture that some people don't like, and it has nothing to do with race.  And it's a very reasonable reading of his dislike of the name.

Edited by Eleven

Would it still be racist to discuss if they had twins and named them things that rhyme? Based on her mother's heritage?

Now that's not true at all. There's a whole Hollywood culture that some people don't like, and it has nothing to do with race. And it's a very reasonable reading of his dislike of the name.

But his argument isn't about Hollywood. His argument is that he doesn't like it because it's not a classic American name...

Okay... Re-reading it I think I missed a post that changes things a bit. "Racist?" Probably not. "Ignorant?" Possibly. He is basing his complaint on the idea that Miller chose this name which is HIGHLY unlikely. I'm sure he had a say in it but it's clear that his wife was the biggest factor in the name. If not, it was Miller wanting to show appreciation for her heritage as an honor to her.

Either way, it's completely fine that they named their child this. Using this as ground zero for a personal attack on Miller was quite uncalled for.

Not liking something because it's different or you're completely off-point and looking for a reason to attack somebody is weak.

Edited by Tank

But his argument isn't about Hollywood. His argument is that he doesn't like it because it's not a classic American name...

Okay... Re-reading it I think I missed a post that changes things a bit. "Racist?" Probably not. "Ignorant?" Possibly. He is basing his complaint on the idea that Miller chose this name which is HIGHLY unlikely. I'm sure he had a say in it but it's clear that his wife was the biggest factor in the name. If not, it was Miller wanting to show appreciation for her heritage as an honor to her.

Either way, it's completely fine that they named their child this. Using this as ground zero for a personal attack on Miller was quite uncalled for.

Not liking something because it's different or you're completely off-point and looking for a reason to attack somebody is weak.

I can agree with the last clause.  The rest of it, we know nothing about and probably never will.

Everyone thinks Pitbull is a crappy singer

I have no idea who this person is.

I can agree with the last clause.  The rest of it, we know nothing about and probably never will.

No, you're right. Maybe they just randomly decided to go with a name that has strong connections to the mother's heritage without it having anything to do with her heritage. :p

No, you're right. Maybe they just randomly decided to go with a name that has strong connections to the mother's heritage without it having anything to do with her heritage. :p

I keep telling ya, Miller digs Swayze movies!

It's not necessarily racist. Some people just have a problem with people giving their kids weird names whether it's a black couple naming their kid something translated from Swahili or a hippie couple naming their kid moonbeam. All races do it and I personally believe it's stupid because it has the potential to put the kid at a disadvantage in life.

20 years from now some HR rep is going to be looking at the resumes of these now adults. With other things being equal are they going to call the guy named Steve and the woman named Rachel or the people named Moonbeam and Oranjello?

Edited by Drunkard

It's not necessarily racist. Some people just have a problem with people giving their kids weird names whether it's a black couple naming their kid something translated from Swahili or a hippie couple naming their kid moonbeam. All races do it and I personally believe it's stupid because it has the potential to put the kid at a disadvantage in life.

20 years from now some HR rep is going to be looking at the resumes of these now adults. With other things being equal are they going to call the guy named Steve and the woman named Rachel or the people named Moonbeam and Oranjello?

This post is exactly what my big issue is with complaining about names. One of our culture's many beautiful moments is when somebody decides to judge somebody based on their name. We've got to be clean and have the right name if we want to get anywhere...

This post is exactly what my big issue is with complaining about names. One of our culture's many beautiful moments is when somebody decides to judge somebody based on their name. We've got to be clean and have the right name if we want to get anywhere...

Now this is one I completely agree with you on. But I'm not going to muddy up a hockey thread any further. But this discussion could be had elsewhere if you want it.

I think I've said my peace. Having an issue with somebody because of a name is silly. Things like naming your kid "North" when their last name is West is worth some gripes (although you might get the benefit of the doubt if your claims to fame weren't a sex tape and naked photos)... Naming somebody "Bodhi" because of your heritage is completely fine and shouldn't be thought about any differently than naming somebody "John" because you prefer the simple route.

PA thinks Ryan Miller is a big sissy. Let's not pretend it's anything deeper than that. 

Yup.  Big, sensitive, sissy is what he is claiming.  I get it too.

Solid "meh" on the attention scale.  Unlike that sissy name.   :P

Edited by weave

Let me state as clearly as possible that I don't think PA is a racist, nor did his complaint have to do with race. But let's not pretend phrasing like "good, old fashioned, solid names like we used to" isn't the exact kind of thing a racist would say when they don't want to appear racist. Since being an overt racist is no longer socially acceptable, people find ways to express their prejudice which have plausible deniability if anyone calls them on it.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

It was a gratuitous shot at Miller indeed. I thought we were allowed to do that to professional athletes here. It's the translation of the name that made me chuckle — and then attack.

It's over. I apologize, and as a result of this scandal, I will not be running for president in 2016.

The real gem here is Eleven, thinking he had been doxxed, doxxed me, and in the process, himself! You can't make this stuff up! I still love you, pal.

Let me state as clearly as possible that I don't think PA is a racist, nor did his complaint have to do with race. But let's not pretend phrasing like "good, old fashioned, solid names like we used to" isn't the exact kind of thing a racist would say when they don't want to appear racist. Since being an overt racist is no longer socially acceptable, people find ways to express their prejudice which have plausible deniability if anyone calls them on it.

Maybe. But that comment could refer to a bunch of white kids' "crazy" names too. It's not a racial issue. I think this is a good example of how the word "racist" has been so watered down so as to mean almost nothing. My original commentary wasn't about the name Bhodi. But what if it had been? It doesn't make me a racist. I'll tell you another good, old-fashioned, solid name that should be brought back though — Strom.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.