NHL to Implement Coaches Challenge Replay System

26CornerBlitz

Do you want a replay system in the NHL?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a coaches challenge replay system in the NHL?

• Yes, It's about time.
    • No, It's a slppery slope

@TSNBobMcKenzie

If all goes as planned with NHL Competition Committee (today)/NHL GMs (Wed), Coach's Challenge is likely to be instituted next year, but...

...But, at this point, subject to change, goalie interference calls would NOT be amongst criteria a coach could challenge via video review.

Until Comp Committee and GMs beat this up, nothing is in final form but limited and very specific Coach's Challenge appears to be the plan.

Overdue or Slippery Slope?

It'll be interesting to see what reviewable and what isn't. Reviews in the NFL make a lot of sense since the game is much more beholden to measurement and boundaries (were his feet in, did the ball cross this line, etc.). The NHL has far fewer of these situations, and most aren't "that" important. The only one that really matters is the goal line, and that's already covered. The only other one I could really think of is if an off-sides directly leads to a goal.

I don't want to see coaches have any direct roll in the outcome of games other than who they send over the boards.

Unless it's Ron Rolston. He's not allowed to do that even... Probably for good reason.

As for me, I'm glad they'll be bringing it in. BUT make sure it's quick. Put a time limit on these things and don't waste everybody's time by hiding behind inconclusive evidence on every call. Make the call that you see.

It'll be interesting to see what reviewable and what isn't. Reviews in the NFL make a lot of sense since the game is much more beholden to measurement and boundaries (were his feet in, did the ball cross this line, etc.). The NHL has far fewer of these situations, and most aren't "that" important. The only one that really matters is the goal line, and that's already covered. The only other one I could really think of is if an off-sides directly leads to a goal.

I think everyone in Buffalo can think of one more, although it's not a rule anymore.

I think everyone in Buffalo can think of one more, although it's not a rule anymore.

Yeah, but theoretically all potential goals are now reviewed so there's NO WAY a puck shot into the goal through the netting would count. ;)

Oh, that's not the one you meant? Then surely you must mean either a blatently blown icing call resulting in an OT goal or a player being in the crease AND deflecting a puck into the net with a high stick which the ref refused to have reviewed.

Oh, those aren't the one you meant either? No idea what you could possibly be referring to. :angel:

Not bad. For 3 consecutive years, in the round the Sabres were eliminated, there was a call against them so egregious that the league changed a rule for the next season. :censored:

Edited by Taro T

Not sure hockey has the same black and white considerations outside of the goal. And that is already reveiwed. Maybe did the puck go out untouched? Did the player touch it, so no icing? I'm okay with reviewing did it go out, but I would think camera angles will be bad.

Not sure hockey has the same black and white considerations outside of the goal. And that is already reveiwed. Maybe did the puck go out untouched? Did the player touch it, so no icing? I'm okay with reviewing did it go out, but I would think camera angles will be bad.

I've seen lots of bad offside calls that led directly to goals. Hope technology that definitively indicates a puck crossing the goal line comes to fruition some day.

I'm with X on this one.

I don't like it. Let the players on the ice decide the game.

If you recall, I am about the only football fan that hates the goal line crap FIFA is doing.

That's the issue. Sometimes the players don't decide the game... The refs do. Allowing replay puts the game more in control of the players.

That's the issue. Sometimes the players don't decide the game... The refs do. Allowing replay puts the game more in control of the players.

No disrespect, but no it doesn't. It puts too much control on a coach.

I rather keep the goal review by the league and let the refs manage the game ... well, or poorly, it does not matter to me.

I do not want a coach to be able to dispute a call by a ref. The refing, good, or bad, is part of the game.

I rather keep the goal review by the league and let the refs manage the game ... well, or poorly, it does not matter to me.

I do not want a coach to be able to dispute a call by a ref. The refing, good, or bad, is part of the game.

Linesmen miss an offside call that causes the Sabres to lose game 7 of the SCF. You'd be okay with that?

I don't want to see coaches have any direct roll in the outcome of games other than who they send over the boards.

Agreed.

I just don't think hockey is a sport that lends itself to replays - it seems sports with intermittent action like football and baseball are better-suited to have a replay system.

I'm not saying reffing isn't part of the game. I'm saying that replay doesn't actually take control away from the players. It gives them more. The players make the plays, and refs sometimes miss those plays. The coaches can only challenge what the players already did/didn't do.

If limited it gives coaches only a little more control than they already have.

There area calls that are black and white and video review can eliminate human error. There are also calls that are not only judgement calls, but part of a larger system of balancing calls and game management internal to the refs during a game that should not be interfered with.

I'd need to see the details before judging a video review system.

Linesmen miss an offside call that causes the Sabres to lose game 7 of the SCF. You'd be okay with that?

I'd hate it. But I'd prefer that to stoppages with video replays.

Before the 2005 lockout many games were beginning to creep up to 3 hours. The perfect game should be no longer than 2 hours 15 minutes.

Edited by X. Benedict

Yes.

I wouldn't like it, but I would be OK with it.

We could just as easily win the cup on a missed offside call. Would you be OK with that?

:P

You don't have to answer.

Yes.

We could just as easily win the cup on a missed offside call. Would you be OK with that?

I don't want an asterisk.

Yes.

Truthfully, I'd detest either scenario. If there's an ability to get the call right, do it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.