NHL to Implement Coaches Challenge Replay System

26CornerBlitz

Do you want a replay system in the NHL?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a coaches challenge replay system in the NHL?

• Yes, It's about time.
    • No, It's a slppery slope

COACH'S CHALLENGE, VIDEO REVIEW DOMINATE NHL GM MEETINGS: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454604

NHL general managers discussed a coach's challenge system, expanded video review and other rule changes at their annual Stanley Cup final meeting but could not come up with any final resolutions.

GMs made progress on narrowing what coaches might be able to challenge, including goals scored on plays that should've been offside, the puck hitting the protective netting, the wrong player getting penalized and the puck going over the glass for a penalty.

Jim Rutherford of the Pittsburgh Penguins stressed that coach's challenges would not be instituted for the 2014-15 season. Don Maloney of the Phoenix Coyotes said it was not too late for that possibility, though, adding to the lack of clarity out of Wednesday's meeting.

It'll be interesting to see what reviewable and what isn't. Reviews in the NFL make a lot of sense since the game is much more beholden to measurement and boundaries (were his feet in, did the ball cross this line, etc.). The NHL has far fewer of these situations, and most aren't "that" important. The only one that really matters is the goal line, and that's already covered. The only other one I could really think of is if an off-sides directly leads to a goal.

I would also like to see off sides on a rush prior to a goal be reviewable. Occasionally you see the linsemen miss a call and the direct result is a goal. If the cameras can prove it was off sides, then the goal should be called back. Perhaps put a clause in that the team that scores needs to have continuous possession prior to the goal, and the puck can't have crossed the end line (i.e., if a team carries in off sides, it's not called, and they play with it for 30 or 40 seconds before the goal.... maybe not reviewable.)

I would also like to see off sides on a rush prior to a goal be reviewable. Occasionally you see the linsemen miss a call and the direct result is a goal. If the cameras can prove it was off sides, then the goal should be called back. Perhaps put a clause in that the team that scores needs to have continuous possession prior to the goal, and the puck can't have crossed the end line (i.e., if a team carries in off sides, it's not called, and they play with it for 30 or 40 seconds before the goal.... maybe not reviewable.)

I'd make it 10 seconds. How often does one team even keep the puck in the opponents zone for 30 seconds?

There should be some kind of coaches's challenge, WITH RESTRICTIONS, of course. Everybody was talking about how it would hurt the NFL experience. It hasn't. In fact, I think it has ENHANCED the experience. Lets do it. And as a Sabres's fan, still bitter about the Brett Hull goal in '99, I wish it was there then. We would have a cup. Think about that incident, probably one of the most significant in Sabres history when weighing how you feel on this matter....

There should be some kind of coaches's challenge, WITH RESTRICTIONS, of course. Everybody was talking about how it would hurt the NFL experience. It hasn't. In fact, I think it has ENHANCED the experience. Lets do it. And as a Sabres's fan, still bitter about the Brett Hull goal in '99, I wish it was there then. We would have a cup. Think about that incident, probably one of the most significant in Sabres history when weighing how you feel on this matter....

while that series still burns fresh in my mind, the sabres would have had to have won game 6 in OT and then won game 7 in a series where I recall them being outplayed, from memory.

I'm still not a huge fan of replay by coaches

At least they would have had a chance. That was a very special team, they could have done it with Hasek in goal. I actually cried that night. You have to admit, as long as they install restrictions, it cant hurt. Again I defer to the NFL...

It works in the NFL, but the flow of the game is completely different, there are stoppages in between each down and 3 time outs per half..... I don't even know what would constitute a review by a coach right now, but I can't pass complete judgement until I hear what the grounds are and etc...

As for that game.... F Brett hull!!!! Still a Heartbreakers to this day, we were indeed robbed of a chance that night

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.