Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Not saying Marner doesn't deserve a high ranking but I haven't been impressed with watching him in couple of games. Probably a few of his weaker games because he's putting up a ton of points in the others.

Then again, Cody Hodgson was near 2 points a game in his last junior season, so points are not the be all end all.

From the WGR article today:

Buffalo has 19 more games of this and then trying to be the worst team in the NHL is over. The lottery will be held two nights after the season is over and then Buffalo will know where they’re picking and who they’ll get.

Every(!) single team plays their last game on Saturday, April 11th, making the draft lottery on Monday, April 13th, 2015.  Last year, it was Tuesday, April 15th, two days after the season conclusion on Sunday the 13th.

If it's like last year, expect it to air live on TSN and NBCSN at 8pm EST and replay on NHLN at 8:30pm EST.

Not saying Marner doesn't deserve a high ranking but I haven't been impressed with watching him in couple of games. Probably a few of his weaker games because he's putting up a ton of points in the others.

Then again, Cody Hodgson was near 2 points a game in his last junior season, so points are not the be all end all.

Marner turns 18 in May and currently has:

41G 69A for 110P in 53GP (2.08 PPG)

The season in which Hodgson turned 18 (in February), he had:

40G 45A for 85P in 68GP (1.25 PPG)

Even the next season (and a year makes a big difference in juniors), Cody had:

43G 49A for 92P in 53GP (1.74 PPG)

Interestingly, when Stamkos turned 18 (in February), he had:

58G 47A for 105P in 61GP (1.72 PPG)

Also, Tavares turned 18 much earlier (September) in his draft year, but still only put up:

58G 46A for 104P in 56GP (1.86 PPG)

Though, clearly both were drafted more as goal scorers than Marner would be.

Some others:

Taylor Hall: 40G 66A for 106P in 57GP (1.86 PPG)

Tyler Seguin: 48G 58P for 106P in 63GP (1.68 PPG)

RHN (in WHL): 31G 75A for 106P in 69GP (1.54 PPG)

Yakupov: 31G 38A for 69P in 42GP (1.64 PPG)

Brief documentary on McDavid. Seems unbelievably focused and mature for a kid his age. 

Tin Foil Party, put your hats on and unite at around the 12-13 minute mark. (He's real close to the son of the family he lives with in Erie; the kid is a big Sabres fan. Shows a bunch of clips of McDavid and him playing knee hockey with Sabres gear)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dma4n_connor-mcdavid-transitions_sport

Edited by WildComrade

Kris Baker laughed at the notion that Marner is in the same tier as Hanifin yesterday. There's a quick drop off after three. You're not looking at a franchise-changer after them unless you get lucky. These guys are likely to be very good top six players but not guys that are able to lead you to a cup. Supporting players.

Kris Baker laughed at the notion that Marner is in the same tier as Hanifin yesterday. There's a quick drop off after three. You're not looking at a franchise-changer after them unless you get lucky. These guys are likely to be very good top six players but not guys that are able to lead you to a cup. Supporting players.

Ya from all the info I have read I would be surprised at this point if Hannifan is not the pick at 3.

I don't want Crouse at 3 whatsoever.  But if there is any GM who would (over?)value Crouse I would think it could be TM.  He fits the exact mold of guys he continues to bring into the organization.  If we pick 3 I believe it's Hannifin but if Edmonton and Arizona pass us and the lottery bumps us down to 4, I would not be surprised at all to see him be the pick.  If we draft outside of the top two it's going to be a long two months between the lottery and the draft.

2 out fo the 7 draft sites I follow have Marner ahead of Hanifin. To laugh at the thought that they are in same tier is just old school thinking that bigger is always better.

Not to say I would rank Marner over Hanifin but I also wouldn't mock someone that did.

I don't want Crouse at 3 whatsoever.  But if there is any GM who would (over?)value Crouse I would think it could be TM.  He fits the exact mold of guys he continues to bring into the organization.  If we pick 3 I believe it's Hannifin but if Edmonton and Arizona pass us and the lottery bumps us down to 4, I would not be surprised at all to see him be the pick.  If we draft outside of the top two it's going to be a long two months between the lottery and the draft.

For me if Murray took Lawson Crouse at 3 it would derail the Murray train into a nuclear reactor.  There is not enough high end offensive skill to warrant that pick. Crouse is a safe bet to make the NHL because of his size but I don't want safe, I want 0 f###s given

Crouse has 13g, 10a in 23games since the WJC

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

I think you're right, most everyone, but a look at iss's 2014 top 30 board is pretty accurate as far as what actually happened, so I wouldn't be surprised if Crouse goes early. 

Though, one major difference between the draft and ISS is that at least two teams value high scoring defenseman a lot higher than ISS does, since both Honka and DeAngelo went much higher than ISS expected, so it's reasonable that we'll find teams value low-scoring forwards lower than ISS does.

For me if Murray took Lawson Crouse at 3 it would derail the Murray train into a nuclear reactor.  There is not enough high end offensive skill to warrant that pick. Crouse is a safe bet to make the NHL because of his size but I don't want safe, I want 0 f###s given

Crouse has 13g, 10a in 23games since the WJC

Ya things might go nuclear around here.  Good to see he's picked up his scoring pace a bit (being serious).

Ya things might go nuclear around here.  Good to see he's picked up his scoring pace a bit (being serious).

Yeah, that pace considering what else he does is a top five in most years.

Fortunately we will be picking top three.

It has probably been mentioned, but did anyone else notice that in the documentary about McDavid, the house Connor billets with, the son was wearing a Buffalo Sabres T-shirt

Can someone rank these prospects by the general consensus on their potential in their draft year?
Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon

Crosby

McDavid

Tavares

MacKinnon

Eichel

Stamkos

Eichel is a bit tricky, as if McDavid wasn't around he would be talked of a lot more!

It has probably been mentioned, but did anyone else notice that in the documentary about McDavid, the house Connor billets with, the son was wearing a Buffalo Sabres T-shirt

Crosby

McDavid

Tavares

MacKinnon

Eichel

Stamkos

Eichel is a bit tricky, as if McDavid wasn't around he would be talked of a lot more!

This looks right except I'd put McDavid above Crosby.

Brief documentary on McDavid. Seems unbelievably focused and mature for a kid his age. 

Tin Foil Party, put your hats on and unite at around the 12-13 minute mark. (He's real close to the son of the family he lives with in Erie; the kid is a big Sabres fan. Shows a bunch of clips of McDavid and him playing knee hockey with Sabres gear)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dma4n_connor-mcdavid-transitions_sport

Quite a kid... P.S. McDavid suffered a boxers fx of the 5th metatarsal....  Pretty common in hockey, fighting, and any stick, hand, ball type of sport.  They heal well especially with younger guys... So it really wasn't a big deal despite the drama.

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

I don't know if I put McDavid over Crosby. Crosby has Mvp award, Stanley Cup and Gold medal in Olympics. McDavid isn't even in the league yet.

Though I'd agree that I wouldn't have him above Crosby right now, my question was about where they would be ranked in their draft year, when Crosby hadn't yet done any of that.

I honestly was under the impression that Eichel was above everyone but McDavid and Crosby, hmmm.

Edited by Randall Flagg