Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Good eyes fellas...

"McDavid (#1), Eichel (#2), Crouse (#3), Hanifin (#4) and Rantanen (#5) maintain the top five rankings in ISS Hockey’s release of its February ISS Top 30. Portland Winterhawks left winger Paul Bittner rises 12 positions to #18" 

So as I stated in another post, my late round guys are Greenway, Boeser and Bittner right now. For defense I said Zboril but if you like a bit more of a stay at home and eat babies type of kid, Brandon Carlo... 6'5" 17yr old who is only at 185lbs (some list him at 205)... he's gonna get bigger.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120965

"Brandon Carlo is an industrious, shift-by-shift defenceman who lets the game come to him rather than chasing the play; he is able to quickly adapt to the pace of the game on the fly. Through maneuvering his way around the ice and making high-percentage, skilled decisions in all three zones, he is able to shut opposition offense down before it begins to take shape. Carlo is a smooth skater who can control the puck very well and get into open areas for scoring chances; that being said, he does and will need help finding offense due to his natural defensive style of play. All-in-all, a towering, defensive d-man that has very few holes in his game and is physically ready to make the next step."

Going off Liger's comments for who I like in the late first right now:

Paul Bittner, 6'4" 202 lbs, LW for the Portland Winterhawks

He's a big kid learning how to be a man still. He plays hard and is a leader on the ice with how he plays. I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays against bigger, stronger players. Powers his way along the offensive zone and to the net, but he needs to be using his skill on a more consistent basis. He's been on fire as of late which has him nearing a PPG pace.

Jansen Harkins, 6'1" 180 lbs, C for the Prince George Cougars

You could pretty much read what I said about Bittner for Harkins, but he's not quite as big. On the other end of that, though, he has more skill than Bittner. He has kind of burst onto the scene this year doubling his production level. He's been under-the-radar here, but there's a good chance we don't get a crack at him without trading up. Plays all three zones very well. He's got that hard-to-play against style that everybody wants. Might be a pure upside pick since he only has one good year under his belt now.

I am so tempted to do an early mock... but gotta hold off.  When the final CSS rankings come out I will do one but until then I will do my top 10 prospects currently.

1. Connor McDavid
  2. Jack Eichel
  3. Noah Hanafin
  4. Mitch Marner
  5. Dylan Strome
  6. Pavel Zacha
  7. Zack Werenski
  8. Matthew Barzal
  9. Lawson Crouse
  10. Ivan Provorov

I know you don't like Crouse and I am fine with where you have him but I myself could not justify putting Zacha ahead of him.  In the couple of games I've seen of Zacha he plays a very similar game to Crouse but is not quite as big, not as physical and is scoring at only a very slightly higher point per game (still under a point a game).  Not to mention he plays on a better team.

That doesn't even take into consideration his dumb suspensions.

Edited by Derrico

I know you don't like Crouse and I am fine with where you have him but I myself could not justify putting Zacha ahead of him.  In the couple of games I've seen of Zacha he plays a very similar game to Crouse but is not quite as big, not as physical and is scoring at only a very slightly higher point per game (still under a point a game).  Not to mention he plays on a better team.

That doesn't even take into consideration his dumb suspensions.

My reasoning is I see more offensive upside in Zacha than I do Crouse. Could be wrong but that's my thoughts for now.

Race for 30th with 30 games to go for Sabres -

Magic number vs all other teams

Anaheim       20

St.Louis      22

Nashville     22

Tampa         23

Detriot       25

Montreal      27

NYI           27

Pittsburgh    28

NYR           30

Chicago       30

Wash          30

San Jose      31

Boston        33

Calgary       33

Winnipeg      33

Vancouver     35

Florida       38

Colorado      39

Minny         40

Dallas        40

LA            40

Philly        42

Ottawa        45

NJ            45

Toronto       46

CBJ           49

Arizona       49

Carolina      51

Edmonton      57

All we need is 20 more Sabres losses and 9 more wins by Oilers.

Race for 30th with 30 games to go for Sabres -

Magic number vs all other teams

Anaheim 20

St.Louis 22

Nashville 22

Tampa 23

Detriot 25

Montreal 27

NYI 27

Pittsburgh 28

NYR 30

Chicago 30

Wash 30

San Jose 31

Boston 33

Calgary 33

Winnipeg 33

Vancouver 35

Florida 38

Colorado 39

Minny 40

Dallas 40

LA 40

Philly 42

Ottawa 45

NJ 45

Toronto 46

CBJ 49

Arizona 49

Carolina 51

Edmonton 57

All we need is 20 more Sabres losses and 9 more wins by Oilers.

I had been compiling a list similar to this, but yours is far better looking and easier to understand. Good post.

If the Sabres win out they'll finish with 93 points... That was the 6th seed once but otherwise has been the 7th or 8th seed (or once the 9th and out of the playoffs) since the lockout.

PLAYOFFS!?

I had been compiling a list similar to this, but yours is far better looking and easier to understand. Good post.

If the Sabres win out they'll finish with 93 points... That was the 6th seed once but otherwise has been the 7th or 8th seed (or once the 9th and out of the playoffs) since the lockout.

PLAYOFFS!?

I`ll track again after another 5 games are playes. Hopefully the Magic number vs Oilers is at 45.

Im not sure I am a fan of N Roy at 31. Saw him at the Prospects game and skating seems to be a big issue. However, he is a big guy at 6`4 and can play a physical game.  he was ranked 13th overall by McKenzie going into the season but hasn`t had much of a year so far with the Chicoutimi. Actually Chicoutimi is a really bad team and maybe he just can`t do it alone?  When surrounded by better players at the Ivan Hlinka last summer he was very good and had 5 points in 5 games. Just really concerned about his skating ability.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/02/midseason-mediascout-top-10-for-2015.html

It's time for an update to our media/scout list. There's still lots of meaningful hockey to be played (CHL February/March, CHL playoffs, U18's), but it's always great to see how opinions change over the course of a season.

Ultimately, things haven't changed all that much from our Preliminary list in November (here). While there has been some minor shuffling, nothing outrageous has happened. Pavel Zacha drops out of the top 5. Mackenzie Blackwood cracks the top 10. And three guys who received votes last time, did not earn a single one this time (Salituro, Luff, McKenzie).

As always, it's important to note the contributors, as without them and their terrific insight, this article does not exist. For the midseason list, the following helped out: