2014 - 2015 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Great puck possession goal by Fasching here:

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2015/02/27-recap-fasching-takes-charge.html

I hope he isn't the latest in a long line of Kassian/Pyatt/Rasmussen-types to mess with my power forward affections.

But the kid's work ethic seems non-stop. Right now I'm thinking worst-case scenario is Mike Grier.

And this is always good to revisit from time-to-time.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2008/01/sabres-prospects-statistics.html

See Reinhart's production has really slowed down post WJC.

Johan Larsson's numbers are very good for a 2-way guy in the AHL. But he hasn't shown any offence up here.  

I'm really curious to see if he is in Murray's plans. Maybe he gets a long look after the deadline?

I never thought Lemieux would score like that. The fact he and Baptiste have skills sets that will let them play in the bottom six even if their offence doesn't translate makes me feel good about their chances.

I wasn't big on the Hurley pick when they made it and he's doing nothing as a college rookie to change my mind.

Edited by dudacek

So I can't actually confirm this with certainty but there are strong E5 rumors that Lemieux was not going to sign with the Sabres for anything less than premium entry level $ if at all.  I wish I could confirm it.

If true, does this change your stance on the trade?

I heard recently but didn't bother to look it up that a huge portion of Lemieux's goals and points were on the PP this year, and that it would not translate to the NHL as his skill set is not such that he would be a PP goal scorer but in juniors he's just better than most.

Perhaps that is just rationalization, and he was the one guy I was pissed about in the whole deal.

That said, the reason IMO that so many Sabre fans were enamored with Lemieux was similar to the Concept of Kassian. We have wanted tough guys for so long, and have been soft for so long that we overvalue tough guys. Granted. everyone in the NFL wants tough guys who can actually score, so I don't mean to diminish even the Concept of Lemieux.

BUT...

This is a whole new ballgame with Murray. By the time Lemieux makes it to the NHL 70-80% of the entire Sabres roster is going to be tough guys, with only highly skilled guys the rare exception.

I heard recently but didn't bother to look it up that a huge portion of Lemieux's goals and points were on the PP this year, and that it would not translate to the NHL as his skill set is not such that he would be a PP goal scorer but in juniors he's just better than most.

Perhaps that is just rationalization, and he was the one guy I was pissed about in the whole deal.

That said, the reason IMO that so many Sabre fans were enamored with Lemieux was similar to the Concept of Kassian. We have wanted tough guys for so long, and have been soft for so long that we overvalue tough guys. Granted. everyone in the NFL wants tough guys who can actually score, so I don't mean to diminish even the Concept of Lemieux.

BUT...

This is a whole new ballgame with Murray. By the time Lemieux makes it to the NHL 70-80% of the entire Sabres roster is going to be tough guys, with only highly skilled guys the rare exception.

Good post.  I gotta agree with you. 

BUT...

I think you're taking it a step too far with the Kassian stuff. What was going to draw most to Lemieux is his pedigree. It's one thing to play a physical style, we've seen any number of players who do, but it's another to be the son of a guy who thrived in that role, especially come playoff time. That is going to stick to Lemieux for a long time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.