2014 - 2015 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

I never actually thought he'd be an NHL starter, so I'm pretty indifferent. Makarov is the only guy I see with legitimate starting potential right now.

I think johansson and peterson are way to early to have an opinion on. And then i think ullmark and makarov both have slim chances of being an nhl goalie. Important years for both of them

Edited by Numark

Anyone concerned with ullmark's struggles?

MODO has been terrible defensively from what I have read. That being said Ullmark is in a definite sophomore slump. I think it is something to keep an eye on but a 20yr old GT in his second pro season struggling with consistency isn't that extraordinary. We will have to see how the season plays. If December comes around and he hasn't improved then there should be some concern.

I think johansson and peterson are way to early to have an opinion on. And then i think ullmark and makarov both have slim chances of being an nhl goalie. Important years for both of them

Yea, haven't really factored those two in her. Realistically this team should still be looking to add prospects and NHL goalies. Nothing solid yet.

It was a fantastic post. McKinnon spent no time in the minors either did Crosby or Kane. You assume a broadbrush approah assures success when it doesn't. Each case is unique. Friends who know the family said he might leave this year because they need the money.

Fasching is not Crosby, Kane or MacKinnon. Each case may be unique but 20yr old Hudson Fasching only makes the Sabres because they are terrible not because he is ready for the riggers of the NHL. So no it was not a fantastic post. I am not using a broad brush approach but since Hudson Fasching has played 0 minutes of professional hockey it makes sense for him to follow Grigorenko's current approach. He should go to the AHL and prove why he shouldn't be there, he shouldn't go to the NHL and try and stick. Different concepts.

Also using 1st overall or top flight all stars to prove why Hudson Fasching should magically be in the NHL is ridiculous and it shows that most fans of the Sabres do not understand the depth to which this rebuild has currently gone. Making the Sabres roster is no great feat. Dominating the AHL and forcing the Sabres to allow you to play is. It is exactly what earning a spot really means. If Grigorenko hits January and is making the AHL his bitch, that forces the Sabres to make a spot. If he makes it out of camp because he is the 2nd best forward on team with crappy forwards, completely different. I think Tim Murray understands the difference.

So to summarize, we don't have a Kane, Crosby, or MacKinnon. Samson Reinhart who I believe is going to be a very good player could return to juniors this year and it would be fine. We are going to be bad this year. We will most likely be bad next year. Instead of jumping from College or Juniors to the best hockey league in the world, the majority of our prospects need to spend at least 1 full season playing against the lesser talent of the AHL.

Fasching is not Crosby, Kane or MacKinnon. Each case may be unique but 20yr old Hudson Fasching only makes the Sabres because they are terrible not because he is ready for the riggers of the NHL. So no it was not a fantastic post. I am not using a broad brush approach but since Hudson Fasching has played 0 minutes of professional hockey it makes sense for him to follow Grigorenko's current approach. He should go to the AHL and prove why he shouldn't be there, he shouldn't go to the NHL and try and stick. Different concepts.

Also using 1st overall or top flight all stars to prove why Hudson Fasching should magically be in the NHL is ridiculous and it shows that most fans of the Sabres do not understand the depth to which this rebuild has currently gone. Making the Sabres roster is no great feat. Dominating the AHL and forcing the Sabres to allow you to play is. It is exactly what earning a spot really means. If Grigorenko hits January and is making the AHL his bitch, that forces the Sabres to make a spot. If he makes it out of camp because he is the 2nd best forward on team with crappy forwards, completely different. I think Tim Murray understands the difference.

So to summarize, we don't have a Kane, Crosby, or MacKinnon. Samson Reinhart who I believe is going to be a very good player could return to juniors this year and it would be fine. We are going to be bad this year. We will most likely be bad next year. Instead of jumping from College or Juniors to the best hockey league in the world, the majority of our prospects need to spend at least 1 full season playing against the lesser talent of the AHL.

First no one said Fasching should be given anything. The comments, mine and others, were responsive to your overreach concerning all draft picks must report to the AHL for seasoning. Each and every player is unique. Some are ready before others. You think McDavid will spend one minute anywhere but the NHL after he is drafted? Secondly where are the talented vets who warrant big league spots on this team? Stafford? Moulson? Weber? The reason we are in this mess is our talent sucks. Talented kids can and do develop at the NHL level. Those that rise to the challenge can contribute to winning that much sooner. Edited by 3putt

It's not actually a "policy." They like to stick to it, but obviously the fact that Mantha was going to make the team before his injury shows that they dont have a rule in place.

The fact that they have been drafting in the 20s for a long time, as somebody pointed out earlier, is exactly why they're able to do that so often.

A policy is not a rule. http://www.ronross.info/blog/2012/06/13/business-policies-vs-business-rules-what%E2%80%99s-the-big-difference-anyway/

You attribute their willingness to adhere to the seasoning path as a byproduct of their success. It may also be that their success is a byproduct of their seasoning path. Neither is proven nor disproven here. They have practiced this algorithm for quite some time and been successful at it.

Since other teams are not necessarily patient enough to adhere to that mechanism it becomes hard to tell. In short, we are given the Red Wings as a sample size. They have been successful for a long time. They also happened to have drafted amazingly high talents in late rounds, something most teams are unable to do. There are a lot of anomalies with the Red Wings. Of course the end product is easy to quantify but the reasoning as to why is much more difficult.

Fasching is not Crosby, Kane or MacKinnon. Each case may be unique but 20yr old Hudson Fasching only makes the Sabres because they are terrible not because he is ready for the riggers of the NHL.

The riggers play for the Oilers, right? Maybe the Islanders.

Anyway, I look forward to Detroit finally missing the playoffs this year and then winning the lottery. That sure will have a fun little impact on this so called policy that Detroit has.

How about Richie?

I'd take him as part of the package, but not as the best guy.

I get a strong whiff of Kassian there.

But now that you mention Ritchie, I wonder if he was the guy Murray was ready to trade all three seconds for.

I'm really curious to find out who that guy was.

First no one said Fasching should be given anything. The comments, mine and others, were responsive to your overreach concerning all draft picks must report to the AHL for seasoning. Each and every player is unique. Some are ready before others. You think McDavid will spend one minute anywhere but the NHL after he is drafted? Secondly where are the talented vets who warrant big league spots on this team? Stafford? Moulson? Weber? The reason we are in this mess is our talent sucks. Talented kids can and do develop at the NHL level. Those that rise to the challenge can contribute to winning that much sooner.

I didn't say "all draft picks should report to the AHL"

I didn't say "all draft picks should report to the AHL"

You're arguing against using a case by case basis. You used a single case to argue against it, which doesn't really refute anything. And you've referred to keeping Zadorov on the NHL roster for his 9 game tryout and not playing him as "rushing him."

I don't know what you're even arguing anymore.

You're arguing against using a case by case basis. You used a single case to argue against it, which doesn't really refute anything. And you've referred to keeping Zadorov on the NHL roster for his 9 game tryout and not playing him as "rushing him."

I don't know what you're even arguing anymore.

I am arguing that a 19 or 20yr old kid being able to make the Sabres roster means nothing. The majority do not have the maturity mentally or physically to handle an 82 game NHL season and would be better off playing at least 1 full season in the AHL. Zadorov is included in that list as is Hudson Fasching. I am actually not even opposed to Reinhart following that same path. Zadorov shouldn't be on the roster. He is physically mature enough to survive the NHL but lacks the polish necessary to flourish in it. I would send him back to London this year and I would have him start the season next year in Rochester.

This rebuild is in year 2 of 5. No need to be hasty.

I am arguing that a 19 or 20yr old kid being able to make the Sabres roster means nothing. The majority do not have the maturity mentally or physically to handle an 82 game NHL season and would be better off playing at least 1 full season in the AHL. Zadorov is included in that list as is Hudson Fasching. I am actually not even opposed to Reinhart following that same path. Zadorov shouldn't be on the roster. He is physically mature enough to survive the NHL but lacks the polish necessary to flourish in it. I would send him back to London this year and I would have him start the season next year in Rochester.

This rebuild is in year 2 of 5. No need to be hasty.

Me too.

JT Compher... you should read this and be excited.

http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/jt-compher-michigan-hockey-feature

JT Compher is a pest on the ice. He knows it. Every teammate he’s had knows it. But they don’t complain; they understand his motive.

“I’m one of the more annoying guys to play against in practice; I hear it everyday,” Compher said. “I do like to try to get under guys’ skins because some guys need a little bit of fire to get their practice going. If they’re mad at me and it helps them to work harder, it’s good for me, it’s good for them, good for the team.”

Jack Eichel, a teammate of Compher’s on the NTDP team in 2012-13 and current Boston University forward, certainly noticed.

“He is just so good wherever he is,” Eichel, projected to be a top-five pick in the 2015 NHL draft, told NHL.com. “He’s a role model to me and I really look up to him. He’s a great kid and a great leader. Everyone else tries to match him. A guy like that on your team, it’s really good.

“Everyone tries to work as hard as him, and if everyone works as hard as JT, you know you have a good team.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.