OT - Donald Sterling comments

Hoss

So many people online bashing the NBA for infringing on free speech... How long will it take people to realize that free speech only protects you from the government?

The 1st was just ratified 225 years ago. Give it time.

So many people online bashing the NBA for infringing on free speech... How long will it take people to realize that free speech only protects you from the government?

I thought about writing something to that effect early on in this thread, but decided it might take it in ugly directions. Suffice to say, you're correct, and the NBA and owners have voted to exercise their free-speech by saying "I want no part of this guy's nonsense".

I thought about writing something to that effect early on in this thread, but decided it might take it in ugly directions. Suffice to say, you're correct, and the NBA and owners have voted to exercise their free-speech by saying "I want no part of this guy's nonsense".

I do wonder how many of these people whining about free speech are the same ones who cry about censorship when they get a message board post deleted. All of them I suppose. Those are always my favorite internet people.

Edited by shrader

I'm just not a basketball guy, so from my point of view, its something that takes time away from hockey. And actually, the more I think about it, it's not really the league that looks bad right now, but just about anything that is remotely close to this story. The whole story comes off as "racism is bad.... now look the other way while we use that racism to line our pockets". It seems pretty clear now that people have been well aware of this guy for a long time, but not much ever happened because hey, he's giving us money.

And now that shining beacon of journalistic integrity known as TMZ is the one that finally takes this guy down. :wallbash:

TMZ is disgusting. I wish the government could shut it down. But...

Right.

I do wonder how many of these people whining about free speech are the same ones who cry about censorship when they get a message board post deleted.

Now that is funny.

Interesting. The LA Clippers of 2014 are so far removed from the early 70s Braves I don't associate one with the other.

Plus, basketball sucks. :w00t:

I now live in LA and hadn't previously associated with an NBA franchise. I thought about being a Clippers fan, but I didn't, because:

1) You're right. I don't associate Braves and Clippers as a franchise. It's not strong enough to be like "Go Buffalo" at Clippers games.

2) I don't really watch the NBA anyways.

3) I don't know ###### about the Clippers and I didn't want to bandwagon on their recent better-than-Lakers performance.

The other one I've heard a lot of randomly is that he's a racist and he likes having a team full of black employees. That one is just plain hilarious. "I want to live out the fantasy of being a slave owner so I will pay multi-million dollars to five people so they can play a game every single day". It doesn't get any more racist than that! The man is pure evil!

Probably the right call, but I'm still not sure I understand how/why such a blatantly racist person would even come to own an NBA team.

Dolla dolla bill y'all.

Sterling bought the Clippers for $12 million in 1981, and the team is now worth $575 million, according to Forbes magazine.

Sterling is, of course, married. And, his wife is suing the girlfriend because Sterling has given her (the girlfriend) millions of dollars worth of lavish gifts. All the while the girlfriend who is Latina / African American was secretly taping Sterling's racist rants. This whole thing is a mess.

Welcome to Los Angeles. Or, with enough money and power, anywhere else for that matter. If you like that story, go back and read about Frank McCourt.

edit: Also, Pegula should buy the team and move it back to Buffalo. #streetjustice

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Let me get this straight. 80 year old billionaire has an old ass wife and a young hot mixed race mistress. Old ass wife hates that young hot mistress is getting all these expensive cars And gifts from her husband. Old ass wife sues young hot mistress for 1.2 million dollars. Young hot mistress doesn't,have 1.2 million dollars....but she knows a guy who does. Records a rant of her 80 year old billionaire boyfriend telling her she can sleep with Magic Johnson, just don't hang out with him, and here we are.

Its all Sterling's wife's fault.

Let me get this straight. 80 year old billionaire has an old ass wife and a young hot mixed race mistress. Old ass wife hates that young hot mistress is getting all these expensive cars And gifts from her husband. Old ass wife sues young hot mistress for 1.2 million dollars. Young hot mistress doesn't,have 1.2 million dollars....but she knows a guy who does. Records a rant of her 80 year old billionaire boyfriend telling her she can sleep with Magic Johnson, just don't hang out with him, and here we are.

Its all Sterling's wife's fault.

Please tell me that's sarcasm.

I don't know a damn thing about his wife, or why she's stood by this dude for years through all his nefarious schemes, be it money or for the kids or who cares what else, that's her business, and perhaps all 3 should be shot to the moon for being poor representatives of the human race, but wow.

He's a womanizing, racist, slumlording piece of human filth, but yeah, let's blame it on the wife.

It couldn't possibly be the fault of the old racist guy ###### the mistress and giving her money instead of boning his old lady and saving millions, embarassment, and now maybe hundreds of millions.

Oh please, the league, the other owners and the world have know he was a bigot for years. He's had several racial discrimination lawsuits and the league and anyone who cared to has known about it for years. They (the NBA) only care about it when it's going to cost them sponsorship revenue.

My last post was pure tongue in cheek by the way.

I don't know a damn thing about his wife, or why she's stood by this dude for years through all his nefarious schemes, be it money or for the kids or who cares what else, that's her business, and perhaps all 3 should be shot to the moon for being poor representatives of the human race, but wow.

He's a womanizing, racist, slumlording piece of human filth, but yeah, let's blame it on the wife.

100% sarcasm. I will denote this from now on, as it's difficult to detect on a message board.

Edited by ubkev

Oh please, the league, the other owners and the world have know he was a bigot for years. He's had several racial discrimination lawsuits and the league and anyone who cared to has known about it for years. They (the NBA) only care about it when it's going to cost them sponsorship revenue.

My last post was pure tongue in cheek by the way.

100% sarcasm. I will denote this from now on, as it's difficult to detect on a message board.

No worries. I'm starting to read about him (see above where I don't know ###### about the Clippers).

Ok. Thank god. I was seeing red there for a minute. :blush:

Believe me, I've seen a lot of utter bullcrap popping up around the interwebs today on this subject- I need to step away from the social media and cool down.

Carry on, gentlemen.

Holy ######, that's right on. Like he finishes up with, it's not that he saw it coming nine years ago, he saw it happen, wrote about it, and nobody did ######.

He delivers that diatribe like it's his job. Then just drops the proverbial mic at the end, totally in control, like it wasn't no thing.

Banned from watching the Clippers play. Is that a punishment or reward?

The Clippers are a contender, so, punishment. Yes, a team with a loose association with Buffalo is actually a contender for a major championship.

Why would a person own slaves? It's the same answer to both questions. They allow your business to make a lot of money.

I can't stand the NBA, I'm a college hoops guy, but I've been following this a little and I gotta give props to Silver for making this happen so quickly. It would be nice for the owners votes be made public.

This is probably worse than the Marge Schott thing back in the day.

Nailed it.

The 1st was just ratified 225 years ago. Give it time.

Very nice :lol:

Holy ######, that's right on. Like he finishes up with, it's not that he saw it coming nine years ago, he saw it happen, wrote about it, and nobody did ######.

Just gave a listen. Daaaamn. They're right, that dead on rant won't break the news cycle. And that's sad. Glad I hit play.

Wind the clock back to 2006: Sterling's Racism Should Be News

Sterling was sued by the Department of Justice on Monday for housing discrimination....

What's even more disturbing? Sterling was sued for housing discrimination by 19 plaintiffs in 2003, according to The Associated Press. In this case, Sterling was accused of trying to drive blacks and Latinos out of buildings he owned in Koreatown.

And the coup de grace? Neither that case, nor the more recent one, has qualified as big news.

HILLARY 2016!!!!!

Go State!!

The NBA knows where its bread is buttered. Let's not pretend for a minute that this is morally motivated.

Oh stop. This is where everything is today. Nothing "moral" can be done now because people just shrug it off as a PR move. The NBA had to do something, obviously. If they just slapped him with a short suspension and fined him then maybe, but this was a bold and risky move for the NBA. They know this will be fought big time, but this time it's more than a PR move.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.