DLDT: NHL Draft Lottery Edition

Hoss

It's the shorthand single syllabic word for sauerkraut. Starts with a k and ends with raut and was last used as a slur in 1945.

I can't believe the censors get that, but some d-bag upthread can call the lottery "gay" without so much as a single pound sign.

The auto-censor is a somewhat arbitrary. Still, I can't believe that k raut is out.

Edited by Eleven

I can't envision a scenario where the Islanders give us the 5th overall pick how do you convince a fan base & the front office that giving away a pick that high is worth it to only have a shot at some 2 revolutionary players next season? Plus if next season did go down hill for them it kind of looks like they were tanking despite having a promising team only 2 years before that would look pretty bad for them and definitely Garth Snow

#2's:

2013: Aleksander Barkov (FLA)

2012: Ryan Murray (CLB)

2011: Gabriel Landeskog (COL)

2010: Tyler Seguin (BOS from TOR)

2009: Victor Hedman (TBL)

2008: Drew Doughty (LAK)

2007: James van Riemsdyk (PHI)

2006: Jordan Staal (PIT)

2005: Bobby Ryan (ANA)

2004: Evgeni Malkin (PIT)

2003: Eric Staal (CAR)

2002: Kari Lehtonen (ATL)

2001: Jason Spezza (OTT from NYI)

2000: Dan Heatley (ATL)

I'm interested, although I don't think Edmonton will be.

Given their needs, I can't see Edmonton taking Reinhart. I can see them falling in love with any one of Ekblad, Draisaitl or Bennett and paying to make sure they get that guy.

If Florida passes on Edmonton's number one, why not bluff your way into taking whatever Edmonton is willing to give up, with the best offensive talent in the draft still sitting there for Timmy at three?

And that list of number twos has some damn fine players.

Edited by dudacek

#2's:

2013: Aleksander Barkov (FLA)

2012: Ryan Murray (CLB)

2011: Gabriel Landeskog (COL)

2010: Tyler Seguin (BOS from TOR)

2009: Victor Hedman (TBL)

2008: Drew Doughty (LAK)

2007: James van Riemsdyk (PHI)

2006: Jordan Staal (PIT)

2005: Bobby Ryan (ANA)

2004: Evgeni Malkin (PIT)

2003: Eric Staal (CAR)

2002: Kari Lehtonen (ATL)

2001: Jason Spezza (OTT from NYI)

2000: Dan Heatley (ATL)

Yes please

(although WTF Kari Lehtonen doing on this list!)

Given their needs, I can't see Edmonton taking Reinhart. I can see them falling in love with any one of Ekblad, Draisaitl or Bennett and paying to make sure they get that guy.

If Florida passes on Edmonton's number one, why not bluff your way into taking whatever Edmonton is willing to give up, with the best offensive talent in the draft still sitting there for Timmy at three?

And that list of number twos has some damn fine players.

This is the only problem; I don't think they will. I think Edmonton is locked on Ekblad, though I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Draisaitl and Bennett. If Florida takes Ekblad, which I think they will, I don't think Edmonton has any problem taking either Draisaitl or Bennett at three, I'm not sure they really have one rated much higher than the other.

I can't envision a scenario where the Islanders give us the 5th overall pick how do you convince a fan base & the front office that giving away a pick that high is worth it to only have a shot at some 2 revolutionary players next season? Plus if next season did go down hill for them it kind of looks like they were tanking despite having a promising team only 2 years before that would look pretty bad for them and definitely Garth Snow

Because if they win McDavid but the pick is ours it will go down as one of the biggest blunders in NHL history. And the pressure to win next year will be monumental and distracting if they pick this year. Can you imagine if they are one of the worst teams half way thru the season? what do they do…sell off and get worse, making their (our) draft pick even better and increasing their chances of giving us mcDavid? especially when teams are not going to give much away in a deep draft. Also worth mentioning we have their 2nd round pick too in 2015. If they suck next year, they'll be without a high 1st AND 2nd round pick in a very deep draft. That will set them back even further, and a tough sell to get fans excited for the season in Brooklyn.

That being said, i also expect them to pick this year as well but i don't think it is as cut and dried as it seems

Because if they win McDavid but the pick is ours it will go down as one of the biggest blunders in NHL history. And the pressure to win next year will be monumental and distracting if they pick this year. Can you imagine if they are one of the worst teams half way thru the season? what do they do…sell off and get worse, making their (our) draft pick even better and increasing their chances of giving us mcDavid? especially when teams are not going to give much away in a deep draft. Also worth mentioning we have their 2nd round pick too in 2015. If they suck next year, they'll be without a high 1st AND 2nd round pick in a very deep draft. That will set them back even further, and a tough sell to get fans excited for the season in Brooklyn.

That being said, i also expect them to pick this year as well but i don't think it is as cut and dried as it seems

They have Philly's 2nd round pick next season so it's not like they don't have any, but for me I can't predict the future and when you have an elite #1 center coming back and 2 studs coming up in Ryan Strome & Logan Nelson you gotta believe you'll be better even if it means throwing away a pick you hope won't be that high

You read it here first: Murray will try very hard to leverage something something from Edmonton to swap picks.

I think if Florida doesn't take Ekblad, this is a very real scenario. Especially if Florida takes a player that's not our #1. That move would net us the player we want and possibly some decent draft swag (2nd round pick in 2015? STL has EDM's 2014 2nd round). Edmonton may be that desperate, seeing as they'd get the #1 defensemen and possibly the best player in a draft that doesn't have any other defensemen in the top 8 to 10.

I guess it's all wishy washy until D-Day, but I'm hoping that if Tim Murray sees an opportunity that will help us, he will extort the ###### out of some ###### GM.

The chances of Edmonton trading us a second to move up one spot is very slim. It'd take A LOT of convincing and lying. If we call them then they'd immediately be confident that we have somebody in mind and that we're confident that Edmonton won't take him. That, in turn, means that a Edmonton has zero reason to move up since we don't want the guy that they do.

Plus we have plenty of picks. Don't ###### around. Just take the guy you want and be done.

I think if Florida doesn't take Ekblad, this is a very real scenario. Especially if Florida takes a player that's not our #1. That move would net us the player we want and possibly some decent draft swag (2nd round pick in 2015? STL has EDM's 2014 2nd round). Edmonton may be that desperate, seeing as they'd get the #1 defensemen and possibly the best player in a draft that doesn't have any other defensemen in the top 8 to 10.

I guess it's all wishy washy until D-Day, but I'm hoping that if Tim Murray sees an opportunity that will help us, he will extort the ###### out of some ###### GM.

I just want the Sabres to get the guy at the top of their board. Getting an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick is NOT the priority here.

Ironic that he suggests putting the best team together possible but doesn't want the best going players possible.

I'm not buying his logic. He should have just outright said he was disappointed.

A constipated porcupine.

That was exacty my thought about Murray. I watched the video before I read any comments here. .

So June 1st, June 27th, and July 1st are next few key dates. Along with the Blues' progress in the western conference playoffs.

It is the slow water torture drip of being a Sabres fan.

The Edmonton Oilers will pick first in June. You heard it here first.

You read it here first: Murray will try very hard to leverage something something from Edmonton to swap picks.

I hope he swaps out of his pick for more picks. Especially if someone behind him loves Reinhart. The Sabres don't need one player, they need abot 10 players.

Edited by wjag

I hope he swaps out of his pick for more picks. Especially if someone behind him loves Reinhart. The Sabres don't need one player, they need abot 10 players.

Buffalo already has more picks than it needs. We need elite talent. Buffalo has the 10 players it needs to fill the depth chart, or at least will after the next two drafts, but it doesn't have a single player that fills a true top six. So no. Hopefully he doesn't swap out for more picks...

Sabres don't need lots of prospects, they need high end prospects. Trading a near sure thing for potentially getting some 2nd and 3rd liners would set the franchise back another year.

Buffalo already has more picks than it needs. We need elite talent. Buffalo has the 10 players it needs to fill the depth chart, or at least will after the next two drafts, but it doesn't have a single player that fills a true top six. So no. Hopefully he doesn't swap out for more picks...

Agree with this. Murray has said that he is amenable to dealing some of the picks for prospects/players who are closer to being NHL ready.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.