DLDT: NHL Draft Lottery Edition

Hoss

He was leafs fan. He is willing to go back to juniors next year if that is what his team decides. He likes to play physical. Over the summer, he plans to work as hard as he can to try and make a NHL lineup in the fall.

Thanks LGR.

If you get the player you wanted at number two then it's 100% irrelevant. We still have the first pick in every other round. Florida doesn't control anything other than who goes number one.

Really??? Florida controls who and what team picks #1. When they make a draft day deal and drop to 3-5 and still get one of the top 4 forwards maybe you will get the point.

You don't think we could have leveraged the #1 pick into another draft pick or prospect and dropped down to 2,3,or 4 and still picked up one of Bennett, Reinhart, or Draisityl.

Florida is going to get offers. All i am saying is GMTM would have liked to have been the guy listening. Maybe he would have ended up doing nothing but sitting at #2 we will never know.

So, its not as cut and dry as "if we get our guy its 100% irrelevant".

All this talk about us leveraging the pick for more picks is pretty ridiculous. Last year many of us got excited by the idea of trading up and now we have a top pick and all people want to talk about it the possibility of trading it.

Teams RARELY trade top picks. I don't care if Florida trades the pick to someone else as long as we get whoever we wanted at two. I don't think that a trade will or was going to happen for us either way. Period. Teams don't go through a season of hell just to trade the only reward you get for being that bad.

And teams aren't just going to call Florida. Teams will call Buffalo, and Edmonton, and more... But these picks rarely move.

Edited by Tankalicious

Really??? Florida controls who and what team picks #1. When they make a draft day deal and drop to 3-5 and still get one of the top 4 forwards maybe you will get the point.

You don't think we could have leveraged the #1 pick into another draft pick or prospect and dropped down to 2,3,or 4 and still picked up one of Bennett, Reinhart, or Draisityl.

Florida is going to get offers. All i am saying is GMTM would have liked to have been the guy listening. Maybe he would have ended up doing nothing but sitting at #2 we will never know.

While your pointiest valid you'll have to remind me again why TM wont listen to offers for #2

All this talk about us leveraging the pick for more picks is pretty ridiculous. Last year many of us got excited by the idea of trading up and now we have a top pick and all people want to talk about it the possibility of trading it.

Teams RARELY trade top picks. I don't care if Florida trades the pick to someone else as long as we get whoever we wanted at two. I don't think that a trade will or was going to happen for us either way. Period. Teams don't go through a season of hell just to trade the only reward you get for being that bad.

And teams aren't just going to call Florida. Teams will call Buffalo, and Edmonton, and more... But these picks rarely move.

Yes it's rare. But it has happened and it does.

And virtually every GM with a high pick is open to offers. It's called setting the market.

Apparently as recently as last year, we could have had pick five last year for pick 8 and Sekera, but we turned it down.

It think it's more ridiculous to think a GM wouldn't be trying to maximize his assets, especially in a draft without a clear-cut pecking order in the top four.

Yes it's rare. But it has happened and it does.

And virtually every GM with a high pick is open to offers. It's called setting the market.

Apparently as recently as last year, we could have had pick five last year for pick 8 and Sekera, but we turned it down.

It think it's more ridiculous to think a GM wouldn't be trying to maximize his assets, especially in a draft without a clear-cut pecking order in the top four.

Missed the point completely. The fact that they rarely trade picks is only part of it. Implying that since they didn't get the first pick they won't be able to hold trade talks or have any power is ridiculous.

Losing the lottery stinks but it's hardly a major deal.

While your pointiest valid you'll have to remind me again why TM wont listen to offers for #2

Because the offers are going to be for Ekblad. I don't think we would have taken him at 1. I do think someone in the top 4 would have approached us. We end up getting assets for #1 and then drop down a few spots and still get one of the 4 forwards that the most scouts feel are pretty even.

This is the part Tank is missing. I am not saying move down to 6-10. I am saying with no clear cut #1 forward you could have used Ekblad as an asset. That option is gone at #2.

Missed the point completely. The fact that they rarely trade picks is only part of it. Implying that since they didn't get the first pick they won't be able to hold trade talks or have any power is ridiculous.

Gotcha. Two debates going on here.

Your post referred to the one on leverage, not the one about losing the lottery.

Missed the point completely. The fact that they rarely trade picks is only part of it. Implying that since they didn't get the first pick they won't b4 able to hold trade talks or have any power is ridiculous.

Who the hell implied they couldn't have trade talks? I simply stated that being #1 is a much better position than #2. When Ekblad is off the board at 1 do you really think our phones will be ringing like the Panthers did. I doubt it.

Ekblad is going 1. All it takes is one other team too want him and my point is proven.

Edited by sicknfla

Who the hell implied they couldn't have trade talks? I simply stated that being #1 is a much better position than #2. When Ekblad is off the board at 1 do you really think our phones will be ringing like the Panthers did. I doubt it.

Ekblad is going 1. All it takes is one other team too want him and my point is proven.

The Edmonton Oilers will pick first in June. You heard it here first.

I completely agree with you.

Ekblad isn't the clear-cut number one prospect. There aren't a huge group of teams lining up to get him or any prospect in this draft. Florida is one of the few teams that would be looking at Ekblad.

How do you know that? How do you know that a team that nobody had thought about comes out of nowhere and makes a great offer? your assuming it won't and i am assuming it could. Either way, like i originally stated, you can't tell me that GMTM would not have liked to be in the #1 position. Odds are we get our guy anyhow but trying to tell me that he (or you) don't care if it is #1 or 2 is kind of BS in my opinion.

Why are you depressing me like that? It is the old Buffalo luck. It would have been great if we controlled the number one pick and could have done something like what you suggest the Panthers may do. Time will tell whether they trade out of the first pick and we get screwed in the process. I am not as concerned this year (as I would be next year).

Given that I probably would be happy with any of the top three guys (based on what I know now), having the second pick does not really hurt us, but having the first pick would have been useful to pick up more "assets" as hockey GMs like to say.

I think it will be interesting next year if it comes down to the last game or two to decide who the worst team in the league is...for example what If it was between us and Florida, and we were playing Eachother the last game of the season for last place in the NHL. Would you have a South Park little league baseball type of performance where both teams try as hard as they can to lose? Probably not since the players don't care and want to win, like tim Murray said. But it absolutely would be interesting to watch. Getting that last pick guarantees u either mcdavid or eichel. I will be a nervous wreck if we are sitting in second place at the end of next season

Edited by sabre snipe

Ekblad isn't the clear-cut number one prospect. There aren't a huge group of teams lining up to get him or any prospect in this draft. Florida is one of the few teams that would be looking at Ekblad.

Ekblad is the clear cut #1 defenseman is what he's trying to say. Knowing that he'd be off the board at #1 hurts the ability to move around now is what they are trying to say I believe as now anything after #1 is most likely a forward. With the potential to use the only top ranked d-man, the ability to move around is lessened.

Again, this is just how I interpreted what was being said. It's not MY opinion.

my opinion is draft Reinhart should he be there at 2.

How do you know that? How do you know that a team that nobody had thought about comes out of nowhere and makes a great offer? your assuming it won't and i am assuming it could.

How do either of you know who Florida will take, who Florida isn't interested in. Who the sabres would've or wouldn't if taken at #1 overall.

Of course we would rather have #1 overall, maybe the guy we want will be gone, maybe not.

How do you know that? How do you know that a team that nobody had thought about comes out of nowhere and makes a great offer? your assuming it won't and i am assuming it could. Either way, like i originally stated, you can't tell me that GMTM would not have liked to be in the #1 position. Odds are we get our guy anyhow but trying to tell me that he (or you) don't care if it is #1 or 2 is kind of BS in my opinion.

Don't question how I "know" something if you're going to sit there and claim that you know teams will be lining up to trade for Ekblad... Give me a break.

4/16/14 - Tim Murray on TSN1200: http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chum/186/21491/apr16driveTimMurray.mp3 <14:11>

Murray touches on a number of subjects in the interview including the draft lottery, free agency, the decision to hire Nolan as HC, his immediate focus moving forward, and the Sabres' analytics staff.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.