If you were the Islanders

bob_sauve28

Nope. Just thought I'd note it.

Since I'm assuming that it'll be a tough decision it probably wouldn't take a whole lot. Maybe something like a swap of picks in the 2nd round and a prospect like Larsson.

Another question for those who want to defer:

If NY says they won't defer unless we swap picks this year, would you do it? (So we would get their 2015 first in the deferral if we give NY 1/2 for 5/6)

I would swap 2nds + Larsson to get the #5 pick this year,.

I wouldn't do your proposal though. As mentioned, that's swapping a Sam for a Dal Colle.

I wouldn't do your proposal though. As mentioned, that's swapping a Sam for a Dal Colle.

I wouldn't do either deal. I would just hope that they give us next year's pick.

Unless their scouts are very high on someone outside the consensus top five, I think the lottery will make up the Islanders mind.

If they drop to 6, they will probably give us the pick, but at five they are giving us Dal Colle or better, which is looks like a pretty good player at this point.

The other factor mentioned up-thread that is very interesting is the fact we already have their second rounder next year.

Can any GM of a rebuilding team go without picks in the top 60 in what it supposed to be a great draft?

Snow is in such an interesting position.

To me, our worst-case scenario is the sixth pick in this draft.

Not a bad place to be.

I don't think there will be a consensus drop from Dal Colle to the next group. The Isles might not have Dal Colle in their top five. Guys like Nylander and Virtanen could slide in ahead of him. There will be a decent mix there.

I think the only consensus seems to be that Reinhart, Bennett and Ekblad top the list with Draisaitl managing to slide into that group for some teams.

My guess at the range for prospects on most lists:

Sam Reinhart 1-3

Sam Bennett 1-3

Aaron Ekblad 1-3

Leon Draisaitl 1-5

Michael Dal Colle 4-7

William Nylander 5-10

Jake Virtanen 5-10

Haydn Fleury 6-12

Ehlers 6-15

Perlini 7-15

Edited by Tankalicious

The other factor mentioned up-thread that is very interesting is the fact we already have their second rounder next year.

Can any GM of a rebuilding team go without picks in the top 60 in what it supposed to be a great draft?

I'm hoping this weighs heavily.

Then again, I'm in the minority hoping we get two in the top 5 this year and move on to trying to ice a winning team next season.

Agreed. You cannot as an organization give up the pick this year and say "well we're going to be awful next year so that pick is going to be even better just wait!"

We'll be getting next year's pick. I have no doubt.

It's not saying that at all. It comes down to this: will the Islanders be able to pick a better player this year or next year. And this is not solely a function of draft order or team standings.

4 picks in the top 32 of the 2015 draft sure could be nice... :P

Islanders are screwed either way. They lose a top 5 this year or they lose the chance for McDavid/Eichel and don't draft in the top 60 of a deep draft

If I am them I defer, next year could do some serious damage if they lose those picks. Plus with the move coming up, that will make ti harder to get UFAs for next year

I don't think there will be a consensus drop from Dal Colle to the next group. The Isles might not have Dal Colle in their top five. Guys like Nylander and Virtanen could slide in ahead of him. There will be a decent mix there.

I think the only consensus seems to be that Reinhart, Bennett and Ekblad top the list with Draisaitl managing to slide into that group for some teams.

My guess at the range for prospects on most lists:

Sam Reinhart 1-3

Sam Bennett 1-3

Aaron Ekblad 1-3

Leon Draisaitl 1-5

Michael Dal Colle 4-7

William Nylander 5-10

Jake Virtanen 5-10

Haydn Fleury 6-12

Ehlers 6-15

Perlini 7-15

I think Nick Richie is going to move in there 6-12.

4 picks in the top 32 of the 2015 draft sure could be nice... :P

Islanders are screwed either way. They lose a top 5 this year or they lose the chance for McDavid/Eichel and don't draft in the top 60 of a deep draft

If I am them I defer, next year could do some serious damage if they lose those picks. Plus with the move coming up, that will make ti harder to get UFAs for next year

Wait, so you wouldn't defer then? You mean you'd let the Sabres have the pick this year?

I like the point about them not having their first or second next year if they defer. The Isles do have Philly's 2nd next year as part of the Andrew MacDonald trade. So maybe that mitigates things for them.

Then again, I'm in the minority hoping we get two in the top 5 this year and move on to trying to ice a winning team next season.

I'm also in this camp. But I'd never give up a top five pick if I thought I could get out of it. Oh well.

Interesting.

I wouldn't do either deal. I would just hope that they give us next year's pick.

Me too. It comes down to how bad you think the Islanders are going to be next year, and I think they are going to be at least as bad as they are this year and probably worse. And it also sounds like the #5 pick next year will be a better player than the #5 pick this year.

But the 2 aren't really related -- I'm hoping/expecting that whoever they draft this year is going back to juniors next year. It's not impossible that if they have 2 top-5 picks, one of them could stick with the Sabres and be a decent contributor, but it's not reasonable to expect an 18-year-old to lift this team that high right away.

Edited by nfreeman

But the 2 aren't really related -- I'm hoping/expecting that whoever they draft this year is going back to juniors next year. It's not impossible that if they have 2 top-5 picks, one of them could stick with the Sabres and be a decent contributor, but it's not reasonable to expect an 18-year-old to lift this team that high right away.

I almost said this same thing, but I believe the argument is that if they draft twice in the top five they won't have to continue to suck since they'll already have their high-end forward prospects.

I'm hoping the Islanders defer because I think they will be terrible next year.

Best case scenario is a winning team next year built on the kids taking a big step us holding the Islanders' ball in the lottery, and the Islanders finishing last.

Worst case scenario is we get this year's Shawn Anderson at five with their pick and improve just enough to pick 8th next year.

Interesting.

I almost said this same thing, but I believe the argument is that if they draft twice in the top five they won't have to continue to suck since they'll already have their high-end forward prospects.

Yes, Tank. That is my thought process. I wouldn't expect the Sabres to suddenly be playoff competitive, but I would expect them to start trying to be playoff competitive.

Problem is that nobody in this year's draft is truly a "high-end forward prospect." They're 1-5 this year because it's a weak draft class, but would 5-10 or worse in next year's class.

Yes, Tank. That is my thought process. I wouldn't expect the Sabres to suddenly be playoff competitive, but I would expect them to start trying to be playoff competitive.

I have a very hard time seeing them become playoff competitive next year (and you seem to agree.) Even if they trade away some of their higher-end prospects, they're down to the studs (the wood kind, not the elite player kind) right now, so it's unlikely to have enough effect next season. IMO, waiting to start that process will have little to no effect on their competitiveness in two seasons other than possibly hurting what they could add in next year's draft, so why try and force it next year?

Edited by carpandean

Problem is that nobody in this year's draft is truly a "high-end forward prospect." They're 1-5 this year because it's a weak draft class, but would 5-10 or worse in next year's class.

I have a very hard time seeing them become playoff competitive next year (and you seem to agree.) Even if they trade away some of their higher-end prospects, they're down to the studs (the wood kind, not the elite player kind) right now, so it's unlikely to have enough effect next season. IMO, waiting to start that process will have little to no effect on their competitiveness in two seasons other than possibly hurting what they could add in next year's draft, so why try and force it next year?

I don't want to see winning forced, but watching losing being forced hurts my brain.

What fans? I realize they're not exactly moving across the country, but there are going to be a completely different group of fans in their buildings in 2014-15 and 2015-16.

I'm not so sure. Nassau Coliseum is really poorly served by public transportation (which is terrible for anything that area); you need to take the LIRR to one of two stops, where you either walk a block to the bus stop and take a city bus a couple stops, or take a 5-10 minute taxi ride. Barclay has an LIRR stop across the street and is on several subway lines. If it were me, hopping on the train (and having a beer or three on the platform/train) is way preferable than driving, and the LIRR is relatively convenient for most of LI. I suppose you may lose fans that hate trains or don't want to go into Brooklyn, but to those fans I say, "up your game".

I'm not sure what the community aversion to starting new threads is all about recently.

It's a marketplace.....the the more compelling ones will live, the others will slowly fade.

I think the aversion started during the end of the Lindy era; people would take any thread that was at all related to coaching (and some that weren't) and start yelling about Lindy. Then, others would complain that they had to reply in 5 places to argue the same point.