Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

And we lose to Oakland :wallbash:

After week 17, didn't the Oakland loss mean nothing? Bills could've won and still been teeing off this weekend. Buffalo didn't control their own destiny in week 16/17. If it weren't for other losses....

Edited by thanes16

After week 17, didn't the Oakland loss mean nothing? Bills could've won and still been teeing off this weekend. Buffalo didn't control their own destiny in week 16/17. If it weren't for other losses....

That is correct, but the other losses were at least to respectable, if not terrific, teams. Sometimes you just end up losing those coin flip contests...it sucks, but I'm not gonna rant about it. But two win Oakland? Yes, that's a travesty.

Doesn't matter. At the time that Oakland game meant everything. Against a 2-12 team. And they lost.

If Marrone is a narcissistic control freak and a bully, shouldn't Russ Brandon be accountable for a terrible hire?

Ask Russ and he'll pull the "I'm not involved in football decisions" crap.

That is correct, but the other losses were at least to respectable, if not terrific, teams. Sometimes you just end up losing those coin flip contests...it sucks, but I'm not gonna rant about it. But two win Oakland? Yes, that's a travesty.

Any loss is a travesty. Going down to Houston was a complete joke. If the Bills take Oakland and Houston they're 11-5. Should've would've could've....

As someone who has been (and will continue to be) critical of some of the names being thrown around as head coaching candidates, I think watching the Ravens have continued postseason success is a sobering reminder that we tend to get too caught up in names and pedigree and everything else. John Harbaugh was a special teams coach and was probably one of the most unheralded hirings of the past decade--he's now 10-4 in the postseason with a Super Bowl ring.

That's a good point - the name of the coach is immaterial - as long as he can help build and run a winning organization.

And that raises an area of concern with Brandon's involvement in the decision making process..... there's a good chance, bean-counter that he is, that Brandon will be looking at it as a MARKETING decision with a short term payback- i.e., what name will put the most fans in the seats next season? The focus should be only on who will build a championship winning team - and nothing else.

That's a kind description of Belichek. If Marrone had Brady he would be a detail oriented genius.

If Marrone had Brady, than Brady wouldn't be the QB he has become and have zero Super Bowl rings and zero playoff appearances. If Marrone proved anything in his two years in Buffalo it is he is no offensive genius. Marrone owes Mike Pettine and Jim Schwartz a part of any contract he signs.

If Marrone had Brady, than Brady wouldn't be the QB he has become and have zero Super Bowl rings and zero playoff appearances. If Marrone proved anything in his two years in Buffalo it is he is no offensive genius. Marrone owes Mike Pettine and Jim Schwartz a part of any contract he signs.

I really don't want to be into an unprovable theory. My only point is that several successful coaches proudly wear the narcissistic bully badge

Edited by tom webster

I really don't want to be into an unprovable theory. My only point is that several successful coaches proudly wear the narcissistic bully badge

Most earn it. Doug Marrone walks around with his dick out after going .500 at a Big East school talking about how winning in Buffalo would be a miracle then pulls a power play after going 9-7 when the team should've been 10-6/11-5. Give me a break.

And it didn't sound "unprovable" when you mentioned that having Brady would make him a genius... Just when somebody else countered it. Cmon, Tom. You're better than that.

The NFL should look into a hiring freeze on any new coaches either head or assistant until after the Super Bowl has been played. The coordinators on teams at advanced to the championship games as well as the Super Bowl are at a disadvantage about possibly getting a head coaching position. This would allow the teams that are looking for head coaches to wait to hire the coach they want without fear on being behind on that new coach filling out their staff.

Interviews can be conducted any time, but the first coach could not be officially hired until 4-5 days after the Super Bowl.

The main problem with this is if her decisions have to wait until February to get a new coaches in place at that is 3-4 weeks of time at the new coaches staff doesn't have to assess their own team.

Just a thought.

The NFL should look into a hiring freeze on any new coaches either head or assistant until after the Super Bowl has been played. The coordinators on teams at advanced to the championship games as well as the Super Bowl are at a disadvantage about possibly getting a head coaching position. This would allow the teams that are looking for head coaches to wait to hire the coach they want without fear on being behind on that new coach filling out their staff.

Interviews can be conducted any time, but the first coach could not be officially hired until 4-5 days after the Super Bowl.

The main problem with this is if her decisions have to wait until February to get a new coaches in place at that is 3-4 weeks of time at the new coaches staff doesn't have to assess their own team.

Just a thought.

FYI

During the Season

Teams may not interview assistants from another team for either a lateral move or a head coaching opportunity during the season. The lone exception to this rule comes when teams want to interview assistants for head coaching jobs while the current team is in the playoffs. As there is an urgency to hire new head coaches for some non-playoff teams, the NFL does allow teams to request permission to interview a postseason participant's assistants during the wild card week for teams who have the bye that week. They can also request permission to do so during the first week of Super Bowl preparations as long as there is a two-week break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. The team only has one chance to talk to the assistant coach, once permission is granted, before the coach's team is eliminated from the playoffs

FYI

During the Season

Teams may not interview assistants from another team for either a lateral move or a head coaching opportunity during the season. The lone exception to this rule comes when teams want to interview assistants for head coaching jobs while the current team is in the playoffs. As there is an urgency to hire new head coaches for some non-playoff teams, the NFL does allow teams to request permission to interview a postseason participant's assistants during the wild card week for teams who have the bye that week. They can also request permission to do so during the first week of Super Bowl preparations as long as there is a two-week break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. The team only has one chance to talk to the assistant coach, once permission is granted, before the coach's team is eliminated from the playoffs

Thanks Ink, I actually did know this. The point I was trying to make was the Bills or any other team looking for a new HC might want to hire an assistant off a team playing in the AFC/NFC Championship and in the Super Bowl, but due to the pressure of finding a Coaching Staff they might settle for another choice. If no coaches can be hired until after the Super Bowl this would allow coordinators from from the best teams to get a better chance of a HC Gig and would lessen the pressure on teams looking for a coach and allow them to wait for their guy. Then every new HC would have the same opportunity to fill out their staffs as they see fit. Look at Fangio/Roman from SF or Bevell/Quinn in Seattle, one of them maybe the next great HC, but may have not gotten a legimate chance because their teams far advanced in the playoffs the past few years.

Altough Fangio and Roman might be on the Bills Radar as Pegula's Jet is on its way to SF right now.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/XSR960/history/20150104/1630Z/KBFI/KSFO

Most earn it. Doug Marrone walks around with his dick out after going .500 at a Big East school talking about how winning in Buffalo would be a miracle then pulls a power play after going 9-7 when the team should've been 10-6/11-5. Give me a break.

And it didn't sound "unprovable" when you mentioned that having Brady would make him a genius... Just when somebody else countered it. Cmon, Tom. You're better than that.

I was not saying it was provable either way. I was merely countering a point which was that Brandon should be fired for hiring a narcissistic bully. Let's leave Brady out of it, they are all that to some degree and its why despite all of his personality flaws they still would of rather had him back. Polian was as big a bully as they come, wanted to fire anyone who spoke Ill of him and wanted to bring in AJ Smith whose firing provoked major media celebrations in San Diego. It is what fuels these guys. In my opinion, the ones that succeed are the ones who can admit their mistakes and move on without losing their edge.

And yes, I know there are exceptions, which only validate the rule.

I was not saying it was provable either way. I was merely countering a point which was that Brandon should be fired for hiring a narcissistic bully. Let's leave Brady out of it, they are all that to some degree and its why despite all of his personality flaws they still would of rather had him back. Polian was as big a bully as they come, wanted to fire anyone who spoke Ill of him and wanted to bring in AJ Smith whose firing provoked major media celebrations in San Diego. It is what fuels these guys. In my opinion, the ones that succeed are the ones who can admit their mistakes and move on without losing their edge.

And yes, I know there are exceptions, which only validate the rule.

Bill Polian - A GM with six SB appearances and a ring.

Doug Marrone - .500 at aBig East school. No playoff appearances in the NFL.

Get it?

Bill Polian - A GM with six SB appearances and a ring.

Doug Marrone - .500 at aBig East school. No playoff appearances in the NFL.

Get it?

Your ability not to follow the conversation can be infuriating at times. But since you asked, people don't develop personalities as they succeed. It's their personalities that allow them to succeed. Naturally, people make allowances for the ones that already succeed and dismiss the others until they succeed.

Those that end up succeeding are geniuses, those that don't are ######.

But none of this has anything to do with my initial post which you were unable to follow along with which was that Marrone's personality did not make him a bad hire.