Moulson likely out until after the Olympic Break with a UBI

26CornerBlitz

Why is everybody so set on trading Moulson? We already got a 1st rounder in that deal. We have a chance to keep a potential first liner AND a 1st round pick. This trading the entire team for draft picks and prospects is really getting out of hand. A line needs to be drawn somewhere. Outside of a Miller deal, that line should already be drawn.

Yes, I am aware this is assuming Moulson wants to re-sign.

Why is everybody so set on trading Moulson? We already got a 1st rounder in that deal. We have a chance to keep a potential first liner AND a 1st round pick. This trading the entire team for draft picks and prospects is really getting out of hand. A line needs to be drawn somewhere. Outside of a Miller deal, that line should already be drawn.

Yeah, I really think it's a matter of when he re-signs. If there is no contract on March 4th, he has to go on March 5th.

He cannot under any circumstances hit July as a Sabre, and not under contract for 2015.

I agree if we trade Moulson who in the heck is going to put the puck in the net and you lose another solid player for what a guy that might make the team in 3-4 years. A team that's gonna trade for Moulson is going to land you probably a 1st rounder in the 20's. We can't lose every veteran on this squad. I would like to keep this same $hit squad for one more year minus miller so we have a solid shot at McDavid. A player like McDavid doesn't come around that often and I would like to get him! Then after next season it's all about putting together the best possible team.

Yeah, I really think it's a matter of when he re-signs. If there is no contract on March 4th, he has to go on March 5th.

He cannot under any circumstances hit July as a Sabre, and not under contract for 2015.

I agree if we trade Moulson who in the heck is going to put the puck in the net and you lose another solid player for what a guy that might make the team in 3-4 years. A team that's gonna trade for Moulson is going to land you probably a 1st rounder in the 20's. We can't lose every veteran on this squad. I would like to keep this same $hit squad for one more year minus miller so we have a solid shot at McDavid. A player like McDavid doesn't come around that often and I would like to get him! Then after next season it's all about putting together the best possible team.

I agree with both of you. There needs to be some serious talks between Murray and our pending UFA's to see what their definite plans are. Yes, we cannot afford to lose Moulson without getting anything for him (although a 1st did come back in that trade). But if there is an option, as in Moulson absolutely wanting to stay here, the best option is to keep him. I'd much rather he stays than goes if he really does want to stay. Granted, I'm sure Moulson would like to test the market to see what he is worth, I'm sure the fact that the Sabres can spend a lot of money will weigh on his mind. Him and Ott should get top dollar.............. and they know it.

You owe him an offer that most likely is more than he will receive this summer. My belief is they did that. He doesn't want it. If that is the case, and i am just speculating, then you owe him nothing. At that point you have to put the organization before the player.

Kind of like the employee who give you a two weeks notice. Who do you give the overtime to? The guy that is walking or the guy that is taking his place. This is a business. If he has no intention of being here you owe him nothing.

You treat players well and your two week notice doesn't work here. Players are aware of how teams operate and if you bench Miller prior to the Olympics because you want to trade him... that is mickey mouse ###### for an organization to pull. You play him and let him have his shot, that is the right thing to do.

This is obviously something that you cannot control, BUT.....

If Moulson now doesnt' get traded because of the injury and leaves as a free agent in the offseason, there will be some people who will hold this against Murray...right or wrong..his honeymoon will be over with about 20% of the populace.

This is 0% Murray's fault. It's entirely the fault of Pegula and Regier. Despite being arrogant enough to blast #Blueprint at us for a year, the team never had a plan. They told us (clumsily) that this was our year to tank. Then they decided to KEEP Miller and Vanek fto start this year -- and traded Vanek out for another UFA that we'd have to move later. We couldn't have moved one or both of these guys in June in time for the deepest draft in recent memory???

Nah, let's hang on longer. It'll dick us over in the standings but Uncle Darcy needs to "win" a trade.

THEN, once Terry Pegula became the last human being in North America to realize that keeping Regier in charge was a bad idea, he fires him two months into the season so that we can spend another two months looking for someone to fix this mess.

I feel like I need to go to church and pray the rosary that PLF and GMTM can break whatever magic spell of incompetence has been cast on this franchise since Black Sunday.

You treat players well and your two week notice doesn't work here. Players are aware of how teams operate and if you bench Miller prior to the Olympics because you want to trade him... that is mickey mouse ###### for an organization to pull. You play him and let him have his shot, that is the right thing to do.

Trying not to hurt his feelings and "doing the right thing" is a hell of a gamble. What exactly is the right thing? I give him one more start max before the Olympics. Then maybe one more before the trade deadline. That's it. With the situation this team is in we CANNOT risk what little assets we have left. That is just me. I have been in business for my entire working life. You are looking at this as a fan. I look at it as risk vs reward. Hurting Millers feelings is not worth the risk.

In a very short period he will be in a different uniform trying everything in his power to beat us. If he pulls a groin today and we get NOTHING for him who pays the price?

Trying not to hurt his feelings and "doing the right thing" is a hell of a gamble. What exactly is the right thing? I give him one more start max before the Olympics. Then maybe one more before the trade deadline. That's it. With the situation this team is in we CANNOT risk what little assets we have left. That is just me. I have been in business for my entire working life. You are looking at this as a fan. I look at it as risk vs reward. Hurting Millers feelings is not worth the risk.

In a very short period he will be in a different uniform trying everything in his power to beat us. If he pulls a groin today and we get NOTHING for him who pays the price?

I don't like the approach, but I agree with it 100%.

I also think the best way to go about this is tell him straight up - "Look Ryan, we're screwed with assets, you're one of the few we have. If you want to test free agency that's your right, but we simply can't let you walk for nothing, therefore.....".

That said, he could pull a Hasek and screw the Sabres right back.

Edited by Kristian

I take your point, and it's not unreasonable, but I think it's important to keep in mind what the expected return is for Miller and to weigh the risk of losing that return against the damage that would be done to the Sabres' reputation by sitting him at this stage when he wants to play in order to earn the starting Olympic slot.

If you think the Sabres are likely to get a #1 and a good prospect, then your concern is more reasonable. If you think (as I do) that it's more likely to be a low #2 and/or a so-so prospect -- then it's less of a concern.

I take your point, and it's not unreasonable, but I think it's important to keep in mind what the expected return is for Miller and to weigh the risk of losing that return against the damage that would be done to the Sabres' reputation by sitting him at this stage when he wants to play in order to earn the starting Olympic slot.

If you think the Sabres are likely to get a #1 and a good prospect, then your concern is more reasonable. If you think (as I do) that it's more likely to be a low #2 and/or a so-so prospect -- then it's less of a concern.

I totally understand that it is s questionable move. I also highly doubt it hurts the organizations reputation. A couple of media guys will agree and some will say its bush league.

One thing i do know is it won't have any affect on any future FA's coming here. The last thing they are going to think about when millions is sitting on the table is what happened with Miller his last few weeks in town.

I totally understand that it is s questionable move. I also highly doubt it hurts the organizations reputation. A couple of media guys will agree and some will say its bush league.

One thing i do know is it won't have any affect on any future FA's coming here. The last thing they are going to think about when millions is sitting on the table is what happened with Miller his last few weeks in town.

You treat the players like they are cattle. They are not. They are able to choose and play for whatever team they like and if the Sabres make a habit of not doing right by the player then they will find themselves at the bottom of the list. No player IN Buffalo will be happy playing here and none will want to come here.

This is a business, but what you are not realizing is that players are not only the employees but they are customers as well. You've got to sell your product to them. You've got to make them believe that you want the best for them and that the best for them is what aligns with the best for the team.

If you treat employees like this now then I'm guessing you'll have a pretty high turnover rate and a low morale. This leads to an attitude of employees doing the minimum they can until they can find another place to go. In some cases they'll provoke you to fire them because at least they get a cushion. In the NHL you can't just fire a player so they are even more in control. Players will go out there, they will play hockey, but they aren't going to dive in front of pucks and do other things that might cause them personal pain for the benefit of the team. It's not worth it for them.

If you treat them right then they come in and they will run through walls for you. They want to succeed but it's not just about the money. A bunch of overpaid prima donna players with entitlement issues will not win a Stanley Cup.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.