Moulson likely out until after the Olympic Break with a UBI

26CornerBlitz

You treat the players like they are cattle. They are not. They are able to choose and play for what've team they like and if the Sabres make a habit of not doing right by the player then they will find themselves at the bottom of the list. No player IN Buffalo will be happy playing here and none will want to come here.

This is a business, but what you are not realizing is that players are not only the employees but they are customers as well. You've got to sell your product to them. You've got to make them believe that you want the best for them and that the best for them is what aligns with the best for the team.

If you treat employees like this now then I'm guessing you'll have a pretty high turnover rate and a low morale. This leads to an attitude of employees doing the minimum they can until they can find another place to go. In some cases they'll provoke you to fire them because at least they get a cushion. In the NHL you can't just fire a player so they are even more in control. Players will go out there, they will play hockey, but they aren't going to dive in front of pucks and do other things that might cause them personal pain for the benefit of the team. It's not worth it for them.

If you treat them right then they come in and they will run through walls for you. They want to succeed but it's not just about the money. A bunch of overpaid prima donna players with entitlement issues will not win a Stanley Cup.

They treated Miller right when they asked him if he wanted to stay. They then were going to treat him right with a huge contract. If he DOES NOT WANT TO BE HERE you owe him nothing at this point. My employees are just the opposite as you assume. They understand that i would run through walls for them. They understand that loyalty works both ways. Once that loyalty is broken (as Miller has done by not wanting to negotiate) then all deals are off.

Some coaches play the "right thing to do card". Some do what is best for the organization. When you are consistent and everyone understands how you operate then there are no misunderstandings. Ask the players in NE if they understand how the system works. Seems like it works just fine there.

Edited by sicknfla

They treated Miller right when they asked him if he wanted to stay. They then were going to treat him right with a huge contract. If he DOES NOT WANT TO BE HERE you owe him nothing at this point. My employees are just the opposite as you assume. They understand that i would run through walls for them. They understand that loyalty works both ways. Once that loyalty is broken (as Miller has done by not wanting to negotiate) then all deals are off.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. Not only for the reasons stated but because you are exemplifying the Buffalo loser mentality. That negativity is exactly the type of thinking that gets you to this point. You play your best players because you want to win and they give you the best chance. You don't sit them because there is an extremely low chance they could get injured.

This buffalo loser mentality is the same thing I see in countless threads. Well if we finish last someone else will win the lottery. Well if we get rid of DR who would want to come here and be GM. Well if we do X then Z is sure to happen. Stop it, that loser attitude is the exact same quitter mentality our locker room has exuded for years. Ryan Miller shouldn't be allowed to play in the Olympics then, I mean what if he gets injured? What if he gets injured? What if he doesn't. I am going with a glass half full mentality. I am sick of the loser mentality.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. Not only for the reasons stated but because you are exemplifying the Buffalo loser mentality. That negativity is exactly the type of thinking that gets you to this point. You play your best players because you want to win and they give you the best chance. You don't sit them because there is an extremely low chance they could get injured.

This buffalo loser mentality is the same thing I see in countless threads. Well if we finish last someone else will win the lottery. Well if we get rid of DR who would want to come here and be GM. Well if we do X then Z is sure to happen. Stop it, that loser attitude is the exact same quitter mentality our locker room has exuded for years. Ryan Miller shouldn't be allowed to play in the Olympics then, I mean what if he gets injured? What if he gets injured? What if he doesn't. I am going with a glass half full mentality. I am sick of the loser mentality.

To be fair, the part in bold is just a simple probability. Finishing last is still only a 25% chance of drafting first.

technically yes, but I am looking at is we have the best chance of drafting first overall with 25%.

What the Sabres should do -- and, really, what all people should do -- is never assume you're going to be lucky. Always assume that if there's any luck involved, it will be bad luck. This means you have to work twice as hard and be twice as smart if you want to ensure success.

If the Sabres finish last (God willing), they should be ready to draft 2nd. If they finish 3rd from last, be ready to draft 4th (or be ready to trade up if they feel the need to). If the draft lottery doesn't affect them or (LOL) if they actually win it, that's just a bonus to me. But it's not even worth talking/thinking about until then.

Don't think for a minute that part of the reason a Miller deal has not been completed is because he is playing in the Olympics. Why if i am the other GM would i make a deal before then? If he gets hurt now or during the Olympics all of the liability is on us.

That is assuming there is even a market for him.

As for the looser mentality i will be the first to say this entire tank deal sucks. I cannot stand the thought of going through another year or more of this crap. This is why i am so steadfast on making sure we get SOMETHING for Miller. That is why i am so concerned he gets hurt. Guess it comes from years of expecting the worst when it comes to the Sabres and Bills. Hate that mentality but it has become ingrained.

Some coaches play the "right thing to do card". Some do what is best for the organization. When you are consistent and everyone understands how you operate then there are no misunderstandings. Ask the players in NE if they understand how the system works. Seems like it works just fine there.

If the team takes this attitude, it's like a PO'd child getting the last pissy word in after an argument. Miller has given this team everything he has for a decade. His contract is coming to an end, he knows he has a limited amount of time left in his career and the team is terrible. He's more than lived up to his contract. It's not like he's held out and demanded a trade. He's done everything he's supposed to do.

Now the team needs to do what it's supposed to do -- which is to part like gentlemen and with good feelings between the 2 sides. Doing otherwise makes them look petty.

Don't think for a minute that part of the reason a Miller deal has not been completed is because he is playing in the Olympics. Why if i am the other GM would i make a deal before then? If he gets hurt now or during the Olympics all of the liability is on us.

That is assuming there is even a market for him.

As for the looser mentality i will be the first to say this entire tank deal sucks. I cannot stand the thought of going through another year or more of this crap. This is why i am so steadfast on making sure we get SOMETHING for Miller. That is why i am so concerned he gets hurt. Guess it comes from years of expecting the worst when it comes to the Sabres and Bills. Hate that mentality but it has become ingrained.

Exactly the mentality I mean. Ryan Miller getting hurt could happen, but he could also be USA's starter and be amazing in the Olympics, that could happen.

Exactly the mentality I mean. Ryan Miller getting hurt could happen, but he could also be USA's starter and be amazing in the Olympics, that could happen.

I have almost 20 years on you. Those were LONG years!! That is why some of us older posters are harder to sell. Imagine 20 more years of current Buffalo sports and think how your mentality would be. :-)

I graduated when you were born. You don't even remember the Super Bowl years. Christ i am an old f.

Edited by sicknfla

100% chance of drafting in the top two, and 25% is still better than any other team.

Great, so what? That doesn't change the fact that the odds are stacked against us in the lottery regardless of where we finish, or the fact that *at best* it's a 25% chance we draft first overall.

That's not "Buffalo negativity", it's just reality.

Great, so what? That doesn't change the fact that the odds are stacked against us in the lottery regardless of where we finish, or the fact that *at best* it's a 25% chance we draft first overall.

That's not "Buffalo negativity", it's just reality.

Drafting second overall the next two drafts isn't the end of the world. Next year we HAVE to lock up a top two spot to make this all worth it. Guarantees you McDavid or Eichel. This year the we likely get Reinhart at two or one.

Drafting second overall the next two drafts isn't the end of the world. Next year we HAVE to lock up a top two spot to make this all worth it. Guarantees you McDavid or Eichel. This year the we likely get Reinhart at two or one.

I agree with all of this, but the "25% is better than anyone else" is really neither here nor there. If the Sabres had a 4% chance of getting the #1 pick and everyone else had a 3.3% chance, the Sabres would still have the best chance of winning it -- but so what?

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl

Other move to open spot for Stafford could be to put Matt Moulson on IR, but there was slim hope he could play last game before the break.

that is interesting...

Indeed. And encouraging, since it indicates that he'll probably be able to play the 4 games after the break that are prior to the deadline -- and thus there is a good likelihood that the Sabres will be able to trade him for a non-injury-discounted return.

Good news on Moulson. :pirate:

The thing with Miller is that there is no arena in the world which could make it more possible to showcase talent than the Olympics can.

Do you think hockey people/teams will be watching?

If Miller is phenomenal in the Olympics, blanks Crosby and wins gold, what is more of a showcase than that?....

And you know Miller is playing his best hockey he has ever played and is clutch like that- a good quality for any Olympic goaltender.

Do you think maybe the GM will wait until after the Olympics is over to show-case and bolster trade value?

Olympic gold medalist winner and Vezina trophy winner sounds pretty nice on paper admist a weak goalie market, eh?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.