Ryan Callahan - person of interest

SarasotaSabre

close. I'm worried about cap purgatory for a player who many say is on the decline.

Projecting the cap to go up 30+Million in 6 years is pretty aggressive especially when a huge TV contract was just signed and accounted for.

Yup which is the reason it is going up so much this year. The cap is going up 9.6%. I don't think that will be maintained and I think a leveling off of growth (down to 2-3%) per year is much more likely.

The agreement with Rogers, the largest media-rights deal in League history, begins next season and money from that deal impacts the League's projection for next season's salary cap

The salary cap for the 2014-15 season is projected to be approximately $71 million... up from 64M

This article was after the BOG meeting and the one you cited, where the picture became more clear.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=695203

Yeah if you read the article I posted you would see that it actually moved his projections up two years....... He estimated it to be at 71 million with no tv revenue in 2015-16. So imagine what it will be with the TV revenue.

Also it begins next season as a projection of HRR. It wont truly be felt until the following year.

Yup which is the reason it is going up so much this year. The cap is going up 9.6%. I don't think that will be maintained and I think a leveling off of growth (down to 2-3%) per year is much more likely.

"NHL revenues grew at a rate of an average of 7.1 per cent under the last CBA, so growth should be expected. After the first year, I’ve only used 5 per cent growth in my calculations, prior to factoring in the new TV deal."

Edited by FolignosJock

How about a home town discount? Instead of $45 million from the highest bidder take $38 million from Sabres and you get to play in your hometown (sorta), raise your kids with their grandparents involved, cement yourself in Sabres history when you lead them to the cup, latch on to Pegula's vision for hockey in Western NY for the next 30 years and have a permanent cushy job at the Harbor Center when you are 50 "assistant director of strategic planning for players and coaches on Tuesdays and Thursdays", Open a franchise of restaurants or car dealerships whatever else you are interested, buy Lakeshore and remodel that dump because you are a nice guy. It could be a long list compared to a deal in Florida or Nashville or west coast. I wonder if they think long term, post NHL. I think I would. Their agent probably doesn't.

Some of you guys must really enjoy being the worse team in hockey. This team is so handicapped with offensive talent both here, in Rochester, and in the juniors that if you don't think we have to overpay for top 6 forwards something is wrong.

This is not turning around anytime fast and it will be much longer if we are going to put all our eggs in the draft basket. This is a guy that, if management truly goes after him, that they feel is the kind of player they want leading the team. Stats are not everything. Look at Vanek. I would take RC over him all day long. Not because of stats but because of the kind of character and leadership he brings. That will be invaluable as all these young kids start coming through the system.

that is why we would need to pay him well. like i said before pay him 8 mill first two years, have it lowered till you reach 5 mill on the last two. At wich time it will be a bargain for a contender.

Consider him your third line player you don't have to go after anymore by then at the deadline.

How about a home town discount? Instead of $45 million from the highest bidder take $38 million from Sabres and you get to play in your hometown (sorta), raise your kids with their grandparents involved, cement yourself in Sabres history when you lead them to the cup, latch on to Pegula's vision for hockey in Western NY for the next 30 years and have a permanent cushy job at the Harbor Center when you are 50 "assistant director of strategic planning for players and coaches on Tuesdays and Thursdays", Open a franchise of restaurants or car dealerships whatever else you are interested, buy Lakeshore and remodel that dump because you are a nice guy. It could be a long list compared to a deal in Florida or Nashville or west coast. I wonder if they think long term, post NHL. I think I would. Their agent probably doesn't.

What do you mean by lakeshore?

You can still do pretty much all of that stuff (except maybe the Harbour Centre stuff if TP only wants to hire former Sabres) anywhere and bring in an extra $7 mil. For that extra $7 mil he could buy a personal plane that could fly the grandparents out anytime, and would pay for a nice guest house where they could stay, or the plane could take the grandkids out to WNY to visit the grandparents whenever they want.

What do you mean by lakeshore?

Oh, sorry, thats the name of the rink in Greece/ROC.

You can still do pretty much all of that stuff (except maybe the Harbour Centre stuff if TP only wants to hire former Sabres) anywhere and bring in an extra $7 mil. For that extra $7 mil he could buy a personal plane that could fly the grandparents out anytime, and would pay for a nice guest house where they could stay, or the plane could take the grandkids out to WNY to visit the grandparents whenever they want.

Don't ruin my fairy tale man!

If he were inclined to sign somewhere for a discount, it would probably be the Rangers. It seems pretty clear that he's looking to cash in.

Lakeshore just got new owners... but there's only so much you can do with that low roof.

Some of you guys must really enjoy being the worse team in hockey. This team is so handicapped with offensive talent both here, in Rochester, and in the juniors that if you don't think we have to overpay for top 6 forwards something is wrong.

This is not turning around anytime fast and it will be much longer if we are going to put all our eggs in the draft basket. This is a guy that, if management truly goes after him, that they feel is the kind of player they want leading the team. Stats are not everything. Look at Vanek. I would take RC over him all day long. Not because of stats but because of the kind of character and leadership he brings. That will be invaluable as all these young kids start coming through the system.

Callanhan is not a top six forward. He would be for a season or two on this pathetic team but I would hope the Sabres have at least 6 players better than him offensively in the near future.

Callanhan is not a top six forward. He would be for a season or two on this pathetic team but I would hope the Sabres have at least 6 players better than him offensively in the near future.

I feel like one of the recurring themes on this board the past few years is that the Sabres overpay guys who are glorified 2nd liners.

But when the topic switches to overpaying someone else's glorified 2nd liner, suddenly it's a recipe for success. Weird.

I feel like one of the recurring themes on this board the past few years is that the Sabres overpay guys who are glorified 2nd liners.

But when the topic switches to overpaying someone else's glorified 2nd liner, suddenly it's a recipe for success. Weird.

I agree. Are we having this discussion/argument if he isn't considered somewhat local to Buffalo ?

hmmmmm? I'll go with yes. There are only a handful of free agents this summer.

I know we have both loved Callahan over the years. If he is willing to come, I overpay him $2 million a year if that's what needs to be done. If you get assets for Miller, Moulson, Ott....that's probably going to include 2 decent to nice young forwards and a few picks. I would hitch my wagon to Callahan all day. I'd like to keep Ott, but if Gaustad fetched a 1st at the deadline, he's going to get you a 1st and a ready prospect. Callahan in the fold would make that an easy decision.

We have no right wingers under contract long term at this point and none in the pipeline other than Armia. Right now we have at RW we have:

1. Stafford - will likely be dumped at next year's deadline

2. Armia - good prospect but right now he's not even excelling in the AHL so I don't we can count on him to log top 6 minutes at RW in the NHL next season

3. Matt D'Agostini - may not even be in the NHL if we hadn't picked him off waivers

Unless we plan on keeping Girgensons at RW and putting Reinhart there we absolutely need to do something at RW. If we don't go after Callahan we need to go after someone. Hopefully Murray will get a RW or two in the deals he makes when he unload's Miller, Ott, and Moulson but at this point it's pretty slim pickings.

Ryan Callahan is the new Brooks Orpik.

I would have said Ott

Before they brought him here similar things were said about him as people are saying about Callahan.

He is a guy that plays tough, and would be this great leader/captain for this team. The Team needs to do whatever it takes to get him here and make him captain.

Now he can be traded and the shinier new toy needs to come here

I would have said Ott

Before they brought him here similar things were said about him as people are saying about Callahan.

He is a guy that plays tough, and would be this great leader/captain for this team. The Team needs to do whatever it takes to get him here and make him captain.

Now he can be traded and the shinier new toy needs to come here

I was referring more to this forum's massive man crush on Orpik a few years ago.

There was a very similar man crush on Ott too before he became a Sabre......

Or Shane Doan before that.

We can't over pay 2nd line players IMPO for 2 reasons.

1) It sets us up to be cap screwed later on

2) It sets a precedent for paying guys more than what they have earned

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.