• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Getting rid of the little talent that you do have on the team is not a step forward IMO. The team needs more than a bunch of prospects and future picks.

When this team is ready to contend Ennis & Hodgson will either be role players or gone. They are not top end forwards and certainly not the players to lead a team into a brighter future. Upgrading the forwards is a must.

John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl

Sabres GM Tim Murray on Stewart, Halak: "if somebody feels he’s a missing piece, then I have to talk about it, and the same with the goalie"

So, let's reset things and look at the trade assets we still have. I'll order them by likeliness to move and value mixed:

1. Matt Moulson

2. Christian Ehrhoff

3. Chris Stewart

4. Jaro Halak

5. Drew Stafford

6. Hank Tallinder

7. Tyler Myers

8. Tyler Ennis

9. Jamie McBain

10. Alex Sulzer

11. Zenon Konopka

12. Cody McCormick

Crazy that all twelve of those players have been mentioned in trade talks with some level of seriousness.

I'd like to hope if Murray has a similar list that Stewart and Myers are not on it. I like Stewart and he could be a solid piece of a foundation. As I said before, there is no reason trade Myers. That's a decision that can be made well down the road. He's locked into a contract and his value at this point is less than optimal. He's getting the his game turned around, it's in the Sabres best interest to see if he can get his game completely turned around.

When this team is ready to contend Ennis & Hodgson will either be role players or gone. They are not top end forwards and certainly not the players to lead a team into a brighter future. Upgrading the forwards is a must.

I'd like to hope if Murray has a similar list that Stewart and Myers are not on it. I like Stewart and he could be a solid piece of a foundation. As I said before, there is no reason trade Myers. That's a decision that can be made well down the road. He's locked into a contract and his value at this point is less than optimal. He's getting the his game turned around, it's in the Sabres best interest to see if he can get his game completely turned around.

Same goes w/ Ehrhoff. There's no reason to include him in a deadline deal when the team can trade him for quality players over the summer (if they want to deal him).

Same goes w/ Ehrhoff. There's no reason to include him in a deadline deal when the team can trade him for quality players over the summer (if they want to deal him).

Agreed. There are far more pressing matters that need to be addressed unless a team comes in with an offer that blows the Sabres away for either player.

Prices are never higher than at the deadline, that's one reason. Or if you can package him for picks and prospects that project as top 3 players.

If Murray thinks Ekblad is clearly the best player in the draft and a generational talent - there is a very good case for making room.

Prices are never higher than at the deadline, that's one reason. Or if you can package him for picks and prospects that project as top 3 players.

If Murray thinks Ekblad is clearly the best player in the draft and a generational talent - there is a very good case for making room.

True, but I want roster players, and that's not going to happen at the deadline. (I realize TM's method is different.)

True, but I want roster players, and that's not going to happen at the deadline. (I realize TM's method is different.)

What is your logic on roster players. You want guys who are already playing at the NHL level that are young and have talent? While I like your sentiment, I do think it is going to be hard to find a team willing to give up a talented young guy. Maybe with all the picks the Sabres are getting, they could package an Erhoff for say a young gun out of Edmonton, but I still don't see it happening right now if say it was one of they guys on the Colorado. Any other teams out there, say the Blue Jackets or the Predators or even Tampa who need scoring from a Moulson, or D from Erhoff that could translate into some of what you are talking about?

What is your logic on roster players. You want guys who are already playing at the NHL level that are young and have talent? While I like your sentiment, I do think it is going to be hard to find a team willing to give up a talented young guy. Maybe with all the picks the Sabres are getting, they could package an Erhoff for say a young gun out of Edmonton, but I still don't see it happening right now if say it was one of they guys on the Colorado. Any other teams out there, say the Blue Jackets or the Predators or even Tampa who need scoring from a Moulson, or D from Erhoff that could translate into some of what you are talking about?

No buyer at the deadline is going to give up a decent player, we all know that. So save a guy like Ehrhoff, who is a huge value for any team, and trade him to some team somewhere for younger players, if he's being traded at all, after the season is over. The Sabres won't be the only team rebuilding come July.

No buyer at the deadline is going to give up a decent player, we all know that. So save a guy like Ehrhoff, who is a huge value for any team, and trade him to some team somewhere for younger players, if he's being traded at all, after the season is over. The Sabres won't be the only team rebuilding come July.

Agreed, and that is the rub, but the Sabres seem willing to deal and Moulson is still out there. Just wondering what would allow the Sabres to get something other than picks for these guys during the trade deadline. Maybe the answer is nothing, but that has to be the asking price. Otherwise, re-sign Moulson and if the right thing comes along during the offseason, Moulson and Hoff should be shopped for young players.

Agreed, and that is the rub, but the Sabres seem willing to deal and Moulson is still out there. Just wondering what would allow the Sabres to get something other than picks for these guys during the trade deadline. Maybe the answer is nothing, but that has to be the asking price. Otherwise, re-sign Moulson and if the right thing comes along during the offseason, Moulson and Hoff should be shopped for young players.

Oh, Moulson is a different story. I'm just talking about holding on to Ehrhoff. Moulson should be traded (or extended) by Wednesday.

Edited by Eleven

They may definitely give up a good player, we see this all the time. What they won't give up is a good player currently on their roster that could help them have success in the playoffs. That said, they will give up good players/prospects currently somewhere in their farm system. In terms of good players currently on a teams roster, I don't think this is what the Sabres covet, either now or in this coming offseason. They want young players that will make their splash 1-3 years from now.

They may definitely give up a good player, we see this all the time. What they won't give up is a good player currently on their roster that could help them have success in the playoffs. That said, they will give up good players/prospects currently somewhere in their farm system. In terms of good players currently on a teams roster, I don't think this is what the Sabres covet, either now or in this coming offseason. They want young players that will make their splash 1-3 years from now.

That's the definition of a good player. Otherwise, you're talking about a good prospect. Given the rest of your post, I think it's clear you know this.

I agree that teams give up good prospects in deadline deals...but they don't give up great prospects, or the top guys in their system. See the Pommer trade: we got Larsson (good), not Granlund (great).

That's the definition of a good player. Otherwise, you're talking about a good prospect. Given the rest of your post, I think it's clear you know this.

I agree that teams give up good prospects in deadline deals...but they don't give up great prospects, or the top guys in their system. See the Pommer trade: we got Larsson (good), not Granlund (great).

It's just that by not categorizing a player as "good", you're insinuating he's not a good player or even a bad player. Nevertheless, potato, potato, Ehrhoff should be dealt at the deadline. Following what the Sabres are doing, we don't want good players, we want players who currently resemble good players and will be good players in the future, if that makes any sense.

I generally agree that getting a good roster player in a deadline deal is unlikely. But the Kassian-Hodgson deal keeps sticking in my mind. So it's not impossible.

You are right, teams rarely give up great prospects, but it does happen. Can't do the research now to get you current examples but Brett Hull always sticks in my mind, although granted, that was a long time ago.

Edited by tom webster

I'd think we will see Stewart sent to Ottawa. Murray claims he doesn't want rentals so Moulson seems unlikely to be packaged in that deal. More likely LA or PITT for Moulson IMO.

Ottawa has also been linked to Stafford and Ehrhoff

Lets toss some proposals out there:

Stewart for 2015 1st, Mike Hoffman

Stewart, for 2014 2nd, Mike Hoffman, Shane Prince

Stewart, 2015 3rd for Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, Shane Prince

Stewart, Stafford for 2015 1st, Mike Hoffman, Shane Prince

Stewart, Ehrhoff for 2015 1st, Pat Wiercioch, Mike Hoffman, Shane Prince

Stewart, Ehrhoff, 2014 2nd (BUF) for 2015 1st, Zibaenjad

Stewart, Ehrhoff, Stafford 2014 2nd (BUF) for 2015 1st, Lazar, Cap Dump

Myers, Ehrhoff, 2014 2nd (BUF)for Karlsson LOL

Edited by Warriorspikes51

I don't think we'll get three pieces for Stewart but if we got two of Hoffman, Prince and a pick I'd be extremely satisfied.

As far as Halak goes, I don't think there's much if a market for him. I do not think Minnesota will have any interest. Kuemper has proven that he's a legitimate NHL goalie, and I don't see them having three veteran goalies on top of him. I could see Pittsburgh moving a 2nd our way for him as a backup.

Maybe I'm wrong (as usual):

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Minnesota Wild kicking tires on a few goalie options.... Halak among them....

@LavoieRenaud: Beaucoup de discussions concernant #sabres Tyler Myers. Il a une clause de non mouvement présentement et c'est lui qui aura le mot final.

A lot of discussion concerning Myers. He has a no move clause now, and he gets the final word on a trade.

Speaking French makes being a hockey fan that much better.

@ChrisBottaNHL: With their 2015 pick likely going to Buffalo, Isles want 1st rounder in any Vanek trade to be in '15. Teams reluctant to do that.

Edited by Tankalicious

So, before we get overboard with Senators trade proposal, can we all assume right now that Lazar won't be coming here? Realistically, to get him we'd have to give up something like Moulson and one of our 1st round picks

Let's not get carried away on Lazar.

I love the kid, think he was under drafted, and would pay a ton for him.

But he was the 17th pick last year and his upside is Ryan Callahan, not Ryan Getzlaf.

we have the ammunition to get him, if Tim is willing to pay.

Jim Mariano@jimmarianojr 1h

Hearing some big rumors on a POTENTIAL huge trade between the Sabres and the Senators........Many players involved

Jim Mariano@jimmarianojr 25m

@MacPhersonMedia Sources inside both Sabres and Senators hockey departments

Not sure who he is.....but just tossing this out there. He doesn't tweet much. Doesn't appear to be a rumor mongerer.

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Jim Mariano@jimmarianojr 1h

Hearing some big rumors on a POTENTIAL huge trade between the Sabres and the Senators........Many players involved

Jim Mariano@jimmarianojr 25m

@MacPhersonMedia Sources inside both Sabres and Senators hockey departments

Not sure who he is.....but just tossing this out there. He doesn't tweet much. Doesn't appear to be a rumor mongerer.

Think. He has 20 followers. He knows nothing. He's just regurgitating what others have mentioned as a possibility.

I would cringe big time if Myers ends up in a deal to Ottawa. Not sure if they have the return if want.

Tyler Myers has done a total 180 in performance since Ted Nolan arrived. He's the kind of player the Sabres need on the roster - WTF would they get rid of him? I understand the Miller trade.... he's a UFA in the last few years of his career - but Tyler Myers is young and has the majority of his career in front of him. Trading him would make no sense, IMHO. They would get rid of him, and then immediately need another Tyler Myers.