Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

Is Rolston scouting for the Sabres?

(Bruce is in Tampa watching the practices for the Sens and Lightning)

Bruce Garrioch@SunGarrioch

Former Buffalo coach Ron Rolston sitting in the stands here taking notes. #NHL #Sens

Wasn't he reassigned? Relieved of his duties or something as opposed to terminated? Did Pat or Tim or Ted say well we're paying hom anyway so make him do something? Or am I way off?

Actually, I don't even think you can say that about the Penguins either. They did win the lottery by getting Crosby, who appears to be in the same category as Gretzky. But they also spent many years drafting near the top to get Malkin, Staal and Fleury, but without Crosby, I still think they are not favorites for a cup if they didn't land him. Chicago spent alot of time at the bottom also and ended up getting Toews and Kane eventually, and with some additional moves were able to win a couple cups. What both of the teams appear to have had in common that put them in a position to draft highly for many years was bad ownership that kept them from spending and bringing in good players. Pittsburgh was fighting to keep their team in pittsburgh and Bankruptcy until they hit the Crosby Jackpot, and the 'Hawks needed their old owner to die and get passed on to someone willing to spend.

Theres alot more Oilers and Islanders (teams drafting for many years at the top of the draft and fighting to just be a playoff team) then there are teams that drafted a superstar in the top spot of the draft and turned things around.

That's why you can't tank for one season. The Penguins and Blackhawks tanked for a few. With all the assets we've picked up and some very promising prospects, I think if we can pick top 2 this year and next we are on the proper Pitt/Chicago/LA trajectory. I firmly believe in our young D core with the likes of Pysyk, Risto, Zad and McCabe (especially with Myers coming back to form). Give me a very good player in this draft and then next seasons elite prospect (with 2 or 3 looking like can't miss) and we are set. The Sabres are nowhere near the analogy you put forth earlier imo.

Why Anaheim?

Hiller is a UFA. That leaves the with Fasth and Andersen and Gibson. They have two young goalies and I'm thinking they aren't going to put their faith in Fasth. They could most likely move him. They bring in Miller who not only shores up goaltending for them but also provides solid mentorship to their younger goalies.

Miller ends up in LA and is happy as can be. Their defense is set. They will most likely lose Selanne and Koivu this year but they will remain strong in the top 6 with Getzlaf, Perry, Cogliano, Bonino and Palmieri.

Hiller is a UFA. That leaves the with Fasth and Andersen and Gibson. They have two young goalies and I'm thinking they aren't going to put their faith in Fasth. They could most likely move him. They bring in Miller who not only shores up goaltending for them but also provides solid mentorship to their younger goalies.

Miller ends up in LA and is happy as can be. Their defense is set. They will most likely lose Selanne and Koivu this year but they will remain strong in the top 6 with Getzlaf, Perry, Cogliano, Bonino and Palmieri.

I think the media tried forcing Anaheim for so long that people have to talk about them, but I don't think it'll happen. The magnets connected to Miller and his wife aren't strong enough to force the two teams to make a trade to accommodate them.

Totally my spin:

Miller has not given them a definitive answer, which they are interpreting as he's unlikely to re-sign before the deadline.

They are going to find a trade they are comfortable with, with a team that is a contender (do right by Ryan).

They will offer him a good deal to sign. If he doesn't accept, they will make the trade.

They will also look hard at re-signing him in July.

Pat wants Tim to remove the interim tag. Tim likes Ted, but not ready to remove the tag — he's letting that play out while he works on other priorities.

Interesting comment about Nolan. I'm thinking LaFontaine wants Nolan long-term. Glad Murray is taking his time.....let Nolan finish the year and then decide.

Edited by nucci

I think, perhaps, the Miller "situation" will be dictated, in part, by what happens in Sochi. If Miller wins a gold, not only does his value go up, but he also wins a championship. Maybe for Miller, a gold in the Olympics would be enough for him to stick around Buffalo and shoot for a Cup with the team he is loyal to. He also earns a nice contract.

If he doesn't win a gold, then he may want to wind up on a contender and get his championship that way. He may be willing to accept less of a contract to ensure he gets placed on a contending team.

I would say its highly unlikely that he stays around because he wins a gold

I think the only thing that winning a gold, or having another great olympics does for Miller is inflates what the fans think he should return in a trade. There aren't many contenders looking to give up alot for a goaltender on an expiring contract. The reason why most teams are in a position as a contender is because they have good goaltending already. Just look at St. louis, they have good goaltending, Miller would put them over the top, most likely making them cup favorites, but its doubtful they want to mortgage their future and give away much for an upgrade in net that may just be a rental.

I would think the market for goaltending is much better for fringe guys, goalies making less and have shown they can be capable as short term fill ins with potential to be a #1. there are more teams looking for a short term answer in net right now to carry them over while their starter is hurt (like nashville) then there are teams looking for a #1 guy right now.

(All of this is also considering the rumor that all Canadian teams are on Miller no trade list)

I am almost 98% certain that there will be complaining that what they get back for Miller is too little, or people will be saying "Thats it?" if an when he is traded. The remainder of the posters here will be telling us that Miller is only good during olympic years and that the Sabres will be just fine (and notice very little difference) with Enroth in net

That's why you can't tank for one season. The Penguins and Blackhawks tanked for a few. With all the assets we've picked up and some very promising prospects, I think if we can pick top 2 this year and next we are on the proper Pitt/Chicago/LA trajectory. I firmly believe in our young D core with the likes of Pysyk, Risto, Zad and McCabe (especially with Myers coming back to form). Give me a very good player in this draft and then next seasons elite prospect (with 2 or 3 looking like can't miss) and we are set. The Sabres are nowhere near the analogy you put forth earlier imo.

None of those teams tanked for the purpose of getting better, they were bad because they had ownership that was either in serious financial trouble (Pittsburgh fighting bankruptcy), or an owner refusing to spend and being cheap (Chicago). Once the lockout ended, and Pittsburgh had added Crosby and Malkin, their financial troubles went away and they were able to spend. The year the 'Hawks drafted Kane the owner dies and his son takes over and starts working on deals to increase the revenue and spend more money.

There is one thing that bothers me about the whole "can't sacrifice the future for a rental" idea.

It's the Stanley Cup. You have a chance to win the damn thing NOW.

What are you waiting for?

Of course it depends on the players involved, but everyone overrates their prospects.

Don't you wish Darcy would have dealt Stafford for another defenceman in 2006?

There is one thing that bothers me about the whole "can't sacrifice the future for a rental" idea.

It's the Stanley Cup. You have a chance to win the damn thing NOW.

What are you waiting for?

Of course it depends on the players involved, but everyone overrates their prospects.

Don't you wish Darcy would have dealt Stafford for another defenceman in 2006?

I wouldn't care if my favorite team traded their next 10 first rounders for a rental if they won the cup. If we were in a position to win and made a really lopsided trade in the other team's favor at the deadline for a player that contributed to a cup, and then that player walked in free agency, I would be completely okay with that.

I wouldn't care if my favorite team traded their next 10 first rounders for a rental if they won the cup. If we were in a position to win and made a really lopsided trade in the other team's favor at the deadline for a player that contributed to a cup, and then that player walked in free agency, I would be completely okay with that.

Same.

None of those teams tanked for the purpose of getting better, they were bad because they had ownership that was either in serious financial trouble (Pittsburgh fighting bankruptcy), or an owner refusing to spend and being cheap (Chicago). Once the lockout ended, and Pittsburgh had added Crosby and Malkin, their financial troubles went away and they were able to spend. The year the 'Hawks drafted Kane the owner dies and his son takes over and starts working on deals to increase the revenue and spend more money.

In Pitt there was bankruptcy issues and they got lucky with the ball.

Chicago did have a poor owner at the time (I think I remember something about them not televising home games unless they were sold out which is so dumb as you lose a huge fan base if they can't watch their games). However, according to Wiki (I know the source is not great but this where the info came from) Chicago had a higher payroll than 10 other teams in the league in the season leading up to the Kane pick. They were just slightly under the avg. payroll in the league. I'm not sure money was a factor there.

GMTM was good listen yesterday on GR. Cemented the fact to me Miller is moving. Interesting that he created his own rating system and our scouts are to use it and not be sitting at a computer all day. I'm sure it's on their audio vault.

I think the media tried forcing Anaheim for so long that people have to talk about them, but I don't think it'll happen. The magnets connected to Miller and his wife aren't strong enough to force the two teams to make a trade to accommodate them.

Not sure where you are talking the two teams to make a trade. I had said I don't think Miller ends up there this season. I think he signs there in the offseason. The only trade would need Anaheim to ship out Fasth. They could also keep Fasth and have Gibson and Andersen in the minors. I just don't think there's any way they give Fasth the keys to team. He's been injured much of the season. He earned a contract last year but Hiller was still the man.

Not sure where you are talking the two teams to make a trade. I had said I don't think Miller ends up there this season. I think he signs there in the offseason. The only trade would need Anaheim to ship out Fasth. They could also keep Fasth and have Gibson and Andersen in the minors. I just don't think there's any way they give Fasth the keys to team. He's been injured much of the season. He earned a contract last year but Hiller was still the man.

I don't think Anaheim has the cash to sign Miller, nor the inclination to dedicate that much budget space to Miller in light of their younger and cheaper options.

I think most would agree with this. But it's not like winning a Cup is guaranteed regardless of what a team does at the deadline. See: Pittsburgh, circa...last season.

Buffalo is in a position to keep half of Miller's contract.

if they take him on in a trade this year, after game 82 of this season, Miller has no salary from the Sabres that they could keep

(I think the person you quoted was referring to the Ducks signing him as a FA this offseason)

Personally, I don't see the Ducks looking at goaltenders this offseason, unless its a deal for someone to come in and backup Fasth next year. They have an abundance of goalies right now, can't see them spending alot to bring in another

I don't think Anaheim has the cash to sign Miller, nor the inclination to dedicate that much budget space to Miller in light of their younger and cheaper options.

I'd disagree there. I was looking at Capgeek. They project the Ducks to have $23m in cap space next year. They have their top 4 forwards locked up long term. They might eat about $5-6m in cap space signing Winnik, Perreault, Silfverberg. I don't see them signing Koivu and Selanne is gone. The D is ALL signed for next year. They move Fasth and save $2.9m. They move Fasth's salary and they only need perhaps $4.5m more to sign Miller at a total of $7.5m/season.

They could lose Winnik and Penner this season too but if the Ducks are bringing in Miller I'm thinking they both sign 2 year deals to have a good shot to win again. So, Perry, Getzlaf, Bonino, Palmieri, Cogliano, Winnik., Penner, Silfverberg, Perreault. All but Silfverberg are in the top 10 of scoring. The D is all signed as I mentioned with Fowler (also top 10 scoring) signed long term.

Commited Salary next year: $46m (subtracking Fasth's $2.9m) - 7 Forwards, 7 D, 1 G

Sign Winnik at $3m (up from $1.8)

Sign Penner at $4m (up from $2)

Tender Perreault at $2m (up from $1.05)

Tender Silfverberg at $1.5 (up from $0.863)

11 forwards under contract at an additional $10.5 m and total payroll is $56.5m - leaving an open 4th line forward spot (< $1m). So, sign Miller at $7.5m and they are on the hook for $65m. If the cap is $71.1m (capgeek projection) they still have $6m in cap space left and are basically the same team. The following year they have 3 UFA D and 1 RFA D. That would leave them roughly $20m in cap space to sign 4 D positions.

I'd disagree there. I was looking at Capgeek. They project the Ducks to have $23m in cap space next year. They have their top 4 forwards locked up long term. They might eat about $5-6m in cap space signing Winnik, Perreault, Silfverberg. I don't see them signing Koivu and Selanne is gone. The D is ALL signed for next year. They move Fasth and save $2.9m. They move Fasth's salary and they only need perhaps $4.5m more to sign Miller at a total of $7.5m/season.

They could lose Winnik and Penner this season too but if the Ducks are bringing in Miller I'm thinking they both sign 2 year deals to have a good shot to win again. So, Perry, Getzlaf, Bonino, Palmieri, Cogliano, Winnik., Penner, Silfverberg, Perreault. All but Silfverberg are in the top 10 of scoring. The D is all signed as I mentioned with Fowler (also top 10 scoring) signed long term.

Commited Salary next year: $46m (subtracking Fasth's $2.9m) - 7 Forwards, 7 D, 1 G

Sign Winnik at $3m (up from $1.8)

Sign Penner at $4m (up from $2)

Tender Perreault at $2m (up from $1.05)

Tender Silfverberg at $1.5 (up from $0.863)

11 forwards under contract at an additional $10.5 m and total payroll is $56.5m - leaving an open 4th line forward spot (< $1m). So, sign Miller at $7.5m and they are on the hook for $65m. If the cap is $71.1m (capgeek projection) they still have $6m in cap space left and are basically the same team. The following year they have 3 UFA D and 1 RFA D. That would leave them roughly $20m in cap space to sign 4 D positions.

Good post. I think though that in Anaheim's case, cap space isn't as important as actual cash spent, and this is where signing Miller becomes problematic. They are at $63MM in cash payroll right now. Your scenario has them increasing to $65MM and that includes only 11 forwards and 6 D, plus pretty cheap contracts for their 2 RFAs. Another forward and another D, plus perhaps another $1MM for the 2 RFAs, and now they're approaching $68MM, which is likely too pricey for them.

Moreover, as you pointed out, for the following year, they will have to remake their D group.

It just doesn't seem consistent with their budget-minded approach to go from young and cheap in goal to old and expensive.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.