Matt Hackett- bust?

BuffaloBorn

I feel hesitant labeling him as a "bust" simply because Buffalo didn't draft him themselves, but should we be worried about him potentially be damaged goods?

In 19 games played, Matt posts a .903 save percentage in the AHL.

How does that translate to NHL? I think not good

He was drafted in the third round (Jhonas was drafted 2nd round) so how high is his actual projected ceiling? Perhaps my expectations of him were too high when the Sabres first acquired him from Minnesota.

On the contrary, a big of an under-dog in Nathan Lieuwen, he has been in net 13 times and posts a .913 save percentage after posting a statistical shut-out last night. (1-0 shootout loss))

Lieuwen was drafted in the 6th round.

I think Hackett was seen as the clear #1 from the beginning in Rochester... but even his very first night it was an 8-1 loss when I presume he was in net for.

What was your impression of Hackett when he was sent here?

Am I reading too much into this?

Probably the seasons not even over

But it makes for some great discussion

and will greatly entertain me.

I'm not too worried though there's plenty of other promising goalies in the system

It's tough to gauge a goaltender on his AHL numbers since most AHL teams suck. .903 sv% seems pretty reasonable to me in the AHL.

I would also note the Amerks didn't have a very good start this year. That's not all on the goaltending.

Hackett hasn't shocked anyone. But we wont really know his abilities unless we give him ice time with the Sabres.

Give him a chance to play in the NHL for an extended period. He will get that opportunity unless Miller extends.

I'm higher on Makarov and Ullmark than anybody, but I think an Enroth/Hackett tandem is a decent stop gap to keep it somewhat respectable during a tank next season.

From the little I've read it seems like Hackett's pretty high-strung and the Amerks play Rn Rolston-style defensive system.

Not the best combination.

His pedigree — mostly his first taste of the NHL in Minny — was promising, but his tenure in Buffalo hasn't shown much beyond mediocrity.

He will get his chance in the spring after Miller is traded.

When you trade your captain for a guy, it's ok to consider whether to call him a "bust."

Abso-friggin-lutely. Especially after so many talking/posting heads crowed about how DR robbed Minnesota in the trade. So far, Minnesota has a really good player and the Sabres have 2 prospects (Larsson and Hackett) who have underperformed expectations (although it's way too early for any conclusions) and a third who looked promising but still got sent down to juniors.

From the little I've read it seems like Hackett's pretty high-strung and the Amerks play Rn Rolston-style defensive system.

Not the best combination.

His pedigree — mostly his first taste of the NHL in Minny — was promising, but his tenure in Buffalo hasn't shown much beyond mediocrity.

He will get his chance in the spring after Miller is traded.

This has the cold ring of truth, even to us optimists.

When you trade your captain for a guy, it's ok to consider whether to call him a "bust."

Well to be fair we traded our captain for a first round pick plus Hackett and Larson. The pick looks like it may pay dividends.

Without a doubt, it is too early to tell. Even if it wasn't too early I don't think he was brought here to be more then a starter in Rochester or a backup due to an injury! So I would say, even with his sub par play as of late he is not a bust! Unless you had him penciled in to be a starter in Buffalo in the next couple years, then I say you bust.

Without a doubt, it is too early to tell. Even if it wasn't too early I don't think he was brought here to be more then a starter in Rochester or a backup due to an injury!

I don't think any GM trades for a 22 year old goalie with the expectation that he'll only be a minor leaguer.

The first indication that the player may end being a bust is when the first reaction is "who in the hell is Matt Hackett?"

I'm sure 95% of Sabres fans said the same thing about a certain back up goalie they got from Chicago back in the early 90's.

I don't think any GM trades for a 22 year old goalie with the expectation that he'll only be a minor leaguer.

I would agree with you, good sir, If we had traded for the sole purpose of acquiring a goalie, we wouldn't want a minor leaguer, however in this scenario I think it was more of a take what you can get mentality! Especially with leggio set to become a Ufa. Perhaps there was aspirations he would become and nhl goaltender, but in reality I think he is going to be nothing more then an Amerk! Of course, I could be wrong. I'll double check with Darcy and get back to you

I'm sure 95% of Sabres fans said the same thing about a certain back up goalie they got from Chicago back in the early 90's.

Archived