GDT: Ottawa at Buffalo 12-10-13 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

THE MORNING SKATE: McNABB READY TO STEP BACK IN

Brayden McNabb hasn’t played in an NHL game in almost two weeks. However, he has seen some game action during that time in the American Hockey League.

After sitting out as a healthy scratch for two games, the Sabres sent the 22-year-old defenseman to the Rochester Americans last Wednesday. In a game that night against Utica, he scored a goal, picked up two assists and was named the game’s first star. As planned, Buffalo recalled him following the game.

He’s been scratched in Buffalo’s two games since but McNabb will be back in the lineup when the Sabres host the Ottawa Senators on Tuesday at First Niagara Center at 7 p.m.

McNabb said he had a productive meeting with the Sabres coaching staff before he was sent down and is looking forward to playing in a Sabres jersey again.

“[When] I came out of the meeting, I wasn’t mad that I was going down. It was a positive thing, so it was a good meeting and I’m just excited to be back in the lineup tonight,” he said after the team's optional morning skate.

“It’s always nice to know what they’re thinking and they’re being honest with you too. Sometimes it’s not all stuff you need to work on. It’s good to know. They’ve been really good with it and they’re easy to approach so it’s nice, especially for guys like me who are young.”

Dan Dunleavy previews Tuesday night's game against the Senators at First Niagara Center

I guess I could expand upon this.

The Jason Pominville trade is exactly why DR should never be allowed to build a team. At the time of the trade Jason Pominville was producing and easily the Sabres best two player and top RW. The next closest RW was Stafford :sick: . Now Pominville being a two-way player and Hodgson being Hodgson, meant that they had natural chemistry together. Pominville was very good along the walls not below the goal line. Meaning that pucks were being fed to the center. Pommers has a great shot too. The logical play was actually to trade Vanek. Now obviously we will never know how that would have worked out and so on but Jason Pominville was the wrong player to trade off this team.

On to the draft. Nikita Zadorov should have been drafted earlier. He was not because of the Russian factor and his single year of NA exposure. We are lucky we drafted him. I competent GM should have still managed to get us either that pick or Zadorov and trading Vanek last year would have netted us something in that ballpark I have no doubt.

Now how can I justify arguing for keeping Pominville but loving Zadorov? I fully believe that Pominville should have been kept and getting Zadorov was luck. I think a real Gm could have traded Vanek gotten the same pick and get the only real RW the team had. I am not sure if that all makes sense but I hope it sheds some light on it.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but I'm going to respond anyways. I don't necessarily agree with those points. Firstly, I think DR was a horrible GM overall but had made a few positive moves for this team and the Pommer trade and Vanek trade before he left were two of those good moves. I think that Vanek was playing hurt at the deadline and have no doubt that Minny dictated the only way that trade goes down is if it's for Pommers and not Vanek. If that's the case, I'm glad he still pulled the trigger as this team has been treading water for years and a full blown re-build was the best course of action IMO. I think the plan all along was to trade Pommers and Vanek and in this case Minny wanted Pommers. DR got great return for a good player.

As for Zadarov luckily falling to us at 16, I'll agree that I was surprised that he was not yet selected. Having said that there were reputable scouting services such as Central Scouting which had Zadarov ranked lower than 16 (they had him pegged at 22nd for NA skaters).

It's easy now to say DR shouldn't have made the trade but since he did he lucked into a nice pick at 16. However, you have to make that trade to acquire the mid first and with a mid round pick you see prospects slide a few spots every year for whaterver the reason. I don't think you can complain about the trade in one side of your mouth and gush about a return from the trade on the other side.

Sorry for the derail, continue on everyone.....

I guess I could expand upon this.

The Jason Pominville trade is exactly why DR should never be allowed to build a team. At the time of the trade Jason Pominville was producing and easily the Sabres best two player and top RW. The next closest RW was Stafford :sick: . Now Pominville being a two-way player and Hodgson being Hodgson, meant that they had natural chemistry together. Pominville was very good along the walls not below the goal line. Meaning that pucks were being fed to the center. Pommers has a great shot too. The logical play was actually to trade Vanek. Now obviously we will never know how that would have worked out and so on but Jason Pominville was the wrong player to trade off this team.

On to the draft. Nikita Zadorov should have been drafted earlier. He was not because of the Russian factor and his single year of NA exposure. We are lucky we drafted him. I competent GM should have still managed to get us either that pick or Zadorov and trading Vanek last year would have netted us something in that ballpark I have no doubt.

Now how can I justify arguing for keeping Pominville but loving Zadorov? I fully believe that Pominville should have been kept and getting Zadorov was luck. I think a real Gm could have traded Vanek gotten the same pick and get the only real RW the team had. I am not sure if that all makes sense but I hope it sheds some light on it.

It is easy to create revisionist history, but we were almost as terrible WITH Pommer, Vanek, Leo, Regehr, etc. Had we kept Pommer we'd likely be a slightly better non-playoff team and Pommer would be a 31 year old pending UFA. I think the majority on this board were okay with a major organizational shakeup. And, moving a guy like Pommer was one of the only ways to get substantial assets in return. To me, we're best off waiting 5 years or so before evaluating the trade. If Z ends up an all-star and Larsson and Hackett end up as solid contributors, then I think the move will have worked out just fine for us.

Now Scott over Leino? This is just stupid.

If he's dicking around in practice call him out, but for ###### sake we need some offensive talent in the line up.

The only thing telling us Leino is an upgrade over Scott talentwise at this point, is NHL14.

He's shown nothing. Neither has Scott. I'll take the one who gives a damn.

That said - MAN, this is a bad hockey team.

The only thing telling us Leino is an upgrade over Scott talentwise at this point, is NHL14.

He's shown nothing. Neither has Scott. I'll take the one who gives a damn.

That said - MAN, this is a bad hockey team.

I hear ya, but as Ville says here Bill Hoppe article he has been showing something over the past 5 games. I'm no fan of his believe me but it's kinda exciting when we actually have the puck in the other team's end, and he's been a big part of that lately.

I didn't think it would come this, but it's getting towards unwatchable territory with this line-up. More than half the forwards were AHL last year! And that doesn't include Scott.

I hear ya, but as Ville says here Bill Hoppe article he has been showing something over the past 5 games. I'm no fan of his believe me but it's kinda exciting when we actually have the puck in the other team's end, and he's been a big part of that lately.

I didn't think it would come this, but it's getting towards unwatchable territory with this line-up. More than half the forwards were AHL last year! And that doesn't include Scott.

Yup, I agree it looks more than ugly.

I'm just hoping the LaFontain/Nolan factor can lure a free agent or two here over the summer.

If the team keeps working as hard as they have, I wouldn't be surprised if players would be more enclined to think about playing here.

Nobody can blame anyone for not wanting to play for a lazy team, with a coach that wore out his welcome years ago, run by a GM who wouldn't know team-chemistry if it jumped up and bit him in the ass.

The Sabres were so much worse off than just being your average small-market team - They were an average small-market team, with a huge payroll, and no direction whatsoever, which was clear as day to anyone not named Regier.

Yeah, as I mentioned upthread, I'd prefer Ville on the right wing with CoHo at center and Adam on the left. That seems like a reasonable scoring line to go with Moulson - Little Tyler - Girgs. Foligno - Ott - Stafford seems like a 'crash and bang' third line to me.

D'Agostini has played with New Jersey, Pittsburgh, St. Louis and now Buffalo in the past season and a half. I'm not quite sure what the Sabres see in him that the rest of the league does not.

Yeah, as I mentioned upthread, I'd prefer Ville on the right wing with CoHo at center and Adam on the left. That seems like a reasonable scoring line to go with Moulson - Little Tyler - Girgs. Foligno - Ott - Stafford seems like a 'crash and bang' third line to me.

D'Agostini has played with New Jersey, Pittsburgh, St. Louis and now Buffalo in the past season and a half. I'm not quite sure what the Sabres see in him that the rest of the league does not.

He has out scored Leino since he has been here.

Now Scott over Leino? This is just stupid.

If he's dicking around in practice call him out, but for ###### sake we need some offensive talent in the line up.

Scott in the lineup tonight makes sense. Ottawa will likely have Neil and Matt Kassian in their lineup.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but I'm going to respond anyways. I don't necessarily agree with those points. Firstly, I think DR was a horrible GM overall but had made a few positive moves for this team and the Pommer trade and Vanek trade before he left were two of those good moves. I think that Vanek was playing hurt at the deadline and have no doubt that Minny dictated the only way that trade goes down is if it's for Pommers and not Vanek. If that's the case, I'm glad he still pulled the trigger as this team has been treading water for years and a full blown re-build was the best course of action IMO. I think the plan all along was to trade Pommers and Vanek and in this case Minny wanted Pommers. DR got great return for a good player.

As for Zadarov luckily falling to us at 16, I'll agree that I was surprised that he was not yet selected. Having said that there were reputable scouting services such as Central Scouting which had Zadarov ranked lower than 16 (they had him pegged at 22nd for NA skaters).

It's easy now to say DR shouldn't have made the trade but since he did he lucked into a nice pick at 16. However, you have to make that trade to acquire the mid first and with a mid round pick you see prospects slide a few spots every year for whaterver the reason. I don't think you can complain about the trade in one side of your mouth and gush about a return from the trade on the other side.

Sorry for the derail, continue on everyone.....

Minny asked for Vanek first. DR battered to give them Pommer instead

Archived