GDT: Ottawa at Buffalo 12-10-13 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

Is "level of grit" going to replace " compete level" as the new phrase?

I think "need compete level" is used to replace "lazy".

Tyler Ennis and Mark Pysyk seem to try hard, they just aren't very gritty. Ennis because of his size is limited in that regard, and while Pysyk takes great angles and is smart with the puck, he doesn't have much grit to him. They both deserve to play given their effort and attention to detail. I guess Ennis is gritty in that he takes a lot of knockdowns and punishment but keeps getting up. I'd like to see more grit out of Pysyk if he is capable...and he should be.

For so long, so many of these players have been worried about not making a mistake. I have had a long standing beef with Ruff and never developing forwards with grit. It would have been interesting to see how guys like Gaustad and Stafford turned out if they came through an organization like Boston or Philly. Gaustad looked like a future captain and 15-20 goal scorer when he first came up. He would crash the net, camp out in front on the power play and be tough to move, and would take on pretty much any physical challenge. Drury and Briere leave and Lindy tells him he is slow and needs to lose weight to concentrate on his defensive transitions.....and there it went. Stafford is still the same guy who jumped Neil and challenged Hartnell the first game of the season. He said it wasn't his job.....how'd he come up with that? I'm pretty sure Teddy would say it's EVERYBODY'S job when a teammate is in need.

I couldn't be happier with what I am hearing. I'm also glad in a way the GM search is playing out slower, so everyone gets a chance to really cook in Nolan's crockpot and we see who is the goods and who is a pretender when it comes to wanting to win. I think Nolan has really matured since his last stint as coach and no longer is as emotional or coaching with a chip on his shoulder. He still has the same charm and people skills, but approaches things with a more level energy. If this were 1995, we'd probably already have some condescending remarks about certain guys...but Ted has learned to let guys hang with their own rope.

I hope these guys keep creeping up the points and goals so we can keep this going.

I'm ok with him, and he may end up very good. He does like to carry the puck. I just see him as that #2-4 guy you rely on more for offense, and his size will be good for getting in the way, but I don't sense the love and instinct for regular contact. Zadorov is probably a #2-4 as well, but he will scare the bejebbuz out of you and guys will not wander in front of the net without thinking twice. It just seems to me that you either have that in you, or you don't. I remember playing street hockey at 12 and clutching, holding and lifting sticks, getting in front and position on a guy, hooking an inside knee along the boards with your shin....you just do it. You just want to make life miserable for the other person every last way. I see that in Zadarov and Weber god bless his soul when he isn't shellshocked, and McNabb in the past. I'm hoping Risto comes around as he thickens up. Maybe he does more in Rochester.

I don't think you have the right read on Ristolainen. I'm pretty sure the kid wants to hurt people.

The key word in the rule is possession - Ottawa never HAD possession or control before it went in the net. Bad call, in my opinion!

I can see that one go either way, really. You see the whistle blow on that kind of "possession" more often than not, it just doesn't end up in the net. How about this hypothetical: we've all seen a player fire the puck in frustration when his team is being called for a penalty. What would you call if the puck ended up net in that case?

Archived