OT: Tablet Advice

shrader

I'm thinking about getting a tablet for the wife for Christmas. I'll welcome any suggestions/experiences, but I'm leaning towards a kindle fire hdx right now. The prices seem tough to beat and some of the amazon stuff will go along well with other things we have right now. Has anyone bought one of these?

Really depends on what she plans to use it for. I'm not a fan of the kindle fire. It's a very customized android tablet. If you want an android tablet I'd just get a Nexus 7. I love my first generation one.

If she mostly wants to read on it, I would look at a Kindle paperwhite instead.

If she already uses Apple, the new iPad mini might be the way to go. I wouldn't get a first gen mini though as they are inferior to even the original Nexus 7.

The kindle app, on my nexus tablet works well. I read on it a fair bit. The only drawback of it compared to the fire is if you want to stream Amazon videos.

I will plug for the Nexus 7. I got one for my wife last x-mas and it's like an appendage for her now, in a good way. I've heard the next gen versions are even better.

As someone who uses an Android phone with a balky version of the Google OS (Cupcake Twizzler?), I will add that the *speed* with which the Nexus 7 works is something to behold.

I have an Asus Infinity and love it. One coonsideration is video. Alot of sites still use flash that doesn't play well with Android. The other consideration is to use the same or similar os as her phone. You maximize the utility of the apps.

I can't comment on the other brands, but I have an iPad and would definitely recommend something else if she's not already an Apple fanatic. It's nice, for sure, but IMO way too expensive for what it is.

Probably true, but I am addicted to mine. Love everything about it.

I own two Asus Transformers (The older TF101 and the Infinity). Love both of them. However, they're pricey and a bit overkill. I use mine as laptop replacements with the keyboard battery docks.

However, for a first-time tablet owner you can't go wrong with the Nexus 7 as people above mentioned. It also happens to be manufactured by Asus as well.

I too bought the wife (well, not at the time) a Nexus 7 last xmas. Nice tablet, I like it. You can install the Kindle App, Nook app, or any other reader on it. I have a Nook Simple touch (similar in function to the Kindle paperwhite), and while I like it quite a bit, it's a fancy book. Without some hacking it essentially only lets you read and purchase books (I'm reasonably sure the regular Kindle is the same way). Both are good in their own way. With the wireless turned off, the Nook ST will last a month or more which makes it a great camping/motorcycle companion since outlets aren't easy to find.

I have an Asus Infinity and love it. One coonsideration is video. Alot of sites still use flash that doesn't play well with Android. The other consideration is to use the same or similar os as her phone. You maximize the utility of the apps.

Flash doesn't play well with any of the modern mobile platforms. There are ways around that on all of them too though.

nexus 7 or the Asus models (as some others said Asus makes the nexus 7 so your getting a similar tablet) only thing i ran into was my first gen nexus 7 got real slow for a bit because it ran outta space. I have heard that was fixed in a update since they first launched thou. my issue was all the space used prior to the update being installed.

I own the kindle fire HD (not the HDX) and the iPad 2. The iPad 2, although older, is far superior. It's not even close -- like comparing Sidney Crosby with Tim Connolly.

I would guess that the new ipad mini, although more expensive than the kindle fire HDX, is also far superior.

I once owned a 10" tablet and realized that 7" is the ideal size. Big enough to watch video one, small and light enough to hold comfortably. I bought a Samsung Tab 3 (wifi only) 7" at Staples a few months back when they had a $75 off coupon promo so I got it for $124. (They are "black friday" priced at $159 at several outlets.) I love it. Installed the Netflix app and watch stuff.

PTR

I bought a 7" Samsung Galaxy tab for my wife a couple months ago for her birthday. She is not a techie, and doesn't own a smartphone. She loves it. Pretty intuitive. She picked up on its operations right away. Uses it mostly for Netflix. Was priced competitively with Kindle Fire at the time but the Kindles weren't in stock.

For around the house stuff I'd give it a recommendation.

I own the kindle fire HD (not the HDX) and the iPad 2. The iPad 2, although older, is far superior. It's not even close -- like comparing Sidney Crosby with Tim Connolly.

I would guess that the new ipad mini, although more expensive than the kindle fire HDX, is also far superior.

I have to say, I hate you for convincing me to spend a little extra (we're trying to save ######!). I just caved and ordered an iPad mini from Best Buy. My original plan was to use an amazon $100 gift card that I had to upgrade to a better tablet. But she's an iPhone person and uses iPads with her students all the time. She even had one from the school for about a year that they finally reclaimed. So she's very familiar with them. So I guess this was the right way to go so that it can also help with things at work.

Best Buy had a deal though which is giving me a free $100 gift card with the purchase. So that's pretty cool. It doesn't come off of the initial price, but that'll be a nice thing to have so she can get a cover or something. She won't like the color though, but that's just too bad, I bought what was available.

Thinking of getting one myself. Which would be best to watch sports streams? Sick of coming home and having to hold my laptop on my lap while laying in bed to watch Sabres (or any) games. Too cumbersome to be comfortable.

I can only give you one data point, the 1st gen Nexus 7 works fine for Netflix and NHL Gamecenter. Haven't tried others.

I like the Nexus 7, but it has kind of a "very large phone" feel to it. It's sitting on the coffee table in front of me right, but for some reason I usually grab my phone (probably out of habit, or maybe it's the annoying book-like cover my wife likes on it). I almost wish I got the 10, although I'd guess that's getting too big to travel with easily.

That being said, if I'm at home and sitting I still much prefer a laptop. Tablet and phone apps just seem limited in configuration to me.

I have to say, I hate you for convincing me to spend a little extra (we're trying to save ######!). I just caved and ordered an iPad mini from Best Buy. My original plan was to use an amazon $100 gift card that I had to upgrade to a better tablet. But she's an iPhone person and uses iPads with her students all the time. She even had one from the school for about a year that they finally reclaimed. So she's very familiar with them. So I guess this was the right way to go so that it can also help with things at work.

Best Buy had a deal though which is giving me a free $100 gift card with the purchase. So that's pretty cool. It doesn't come off of the initial price, but that'll be a nice thing to have so she can get a cover or something. She won't like the color though, but that's just too bad, I bought what was available.

Sorry for the cash hit. I do think though that you'll be glad with the choice, especially if the missus likes apple products. Plus she'll have it for a few years so the additional cost will have time to amortize.

I can only give you one data point, the 1st gen Nexus 7 works fine for Netflix and NHL Gamecenter. Haven't tried others.

I like the Nexus 7, but it has kind of a "very large phone" feel to it. It's sitting on the coffee table in front of me right, but for some reason I usually grab my phone (probably out of habit, or maybe it's the annoying book-like cover my wife likes on it). I almost wish I got the 10, although I'd guess that's getting too big to travel with easily.

That being said, if I'm at home and sitting I still much prefer a laptop. Tablet and phone apps just seem limited in configuration to me.

I pefer laptops too but sometimes I feel burdened by having to carry one after a day at work and wanting to lay down flat in my bed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.