OT: Tablet Advice

shrader

I need some help as well with regards to an xmas gift for my brother.

He runs a small business and does alot of estimates around the northern region of WNY. He uses paper, which is fine, but I'd like to simplify his system if possible with an Ipad or tablet, he's not into typing, so touch screen is what I'd be looking at. One that can mount in a vehicle.

Here are the parameters I'd be interested in seeing, if anyone can tell me if something like this is available, please let me know, thanks.

1. Plug wifi or usb hardline in for phone use direct on the pad/tablet.

2. mounts to dash of vehicle.

3. scan his estimate forms in via software and voice recognition so he can fill it out.

4. attached small printer for paper print outs.

5. GPS accessible.

Basically I'd like to try and tie in his phone that he can answer hands free, voice recognition so he can fill out his estimates on the go and print out a form as well.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

go with a "phablet" (phone & tablet) like the galaxy note 3

I had a note for a few weeks cause i thought I would like the larger size for doing things on it and I have to say I got rid of it quickly for something easier to carry. The larger size is great for videos and streaming the net, but the size is way to big for a cell phone and something you are going to carry with you everywhere like you would a phone.

I have a blackberry tablet and its great for a tablet that I can watch videos (used to watch Sabres on Gamecentre with it) and surf the web. They are cheap, but theres a lack of Apps compared to the android and apple products cause its a blackberry. I bought my wife a 1st gen Ipad for her birthday (she wanted an ipad, couldn't afford the new stuff so i found some new, possibly refurbed, older units) and she likes it, but its an older one and can't do everything the newer ones do, but she can surf the web, facebook, watch youtube videos, and have apps to amuse the baby on it.

I need some help as well with regards to an xmas gift for my brother.

He runs a small business and does alot of estimates around the northern region of WNY. He uses paper, which is fine, but I'd like to simplify his system if possible with an Ipad or tablet, he's not into typing, so touch screen is what I'd be looking at. One that can mount in a vehicle.

Here are the parameters I'd be interested in seeing, if anyone can tell me if something like this is available, please let me know, thanks.

1. Plug wifi or usb hardline in for phone use direct on the pad/tablet.

2. mounts to dash of vehicle.

3. scan his estimate forms in via software and voice recognition so he can fill it out.

4. attached small printer for paper print outs.

5. GPS accessible.

Basically I'd like to try and tie in his phone that he can answer hands free, voice recognition so he can fill out his estimates on the go and print out a form as well.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

FWIW, the guy who did a house inspection for me last year did the whole thing on his iPad -- photos, presentation, correspondence, billing, etc.

I am just about sure items 2 through 5 are pretty easy on the iPad. Not sure what you're looking for with #1 -- although I think some of the tablets can serve as phones -- maybe that's it? Anyway, If his car and his phone both have Bluetooth, that's all he needs and the tablet isn't involved. If his car doesn't have Bluetooth but his phone does, he can use one of those $40 Bluetooth headsets for hands-free.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, the guy who did a house inspection for me last year did the whole thing on his iPad -- photos, presentation, correspondence, billing, etc.

I am just about sure items 2 through 5 are pretty easy on the iPad. Not sure what you're looking for with #1 -- although I think some of the tablets can serve as phones -- maybe that's it? Anyway, If his car and his phone both have Bluetooth, that's all he needs and the tablet isn't involved. If his car doesn't have Bluetooth but his phone does, he can use one of those $40 Bluetooth headsets for hands-free.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I'm going to check out the software available for the IPAD. I'd like to scan his 1 page estimate form in, then, with voice recognition software, have him speak to fill it out, since he's not a typer for sure. Then, Print out a hard copy for the customer. I'd also like to link it to a data base, so he can finally start to run some real revenue generation and potentials numbers.

My Brother runs S&S Tree Service out of North Tonawanda, and his operation is growing very quickly since he took over, just looking to make it easier for him.

I have to say, I hate you for convincing me to spend a little extra (we're trying to save ######!). I just caved and ordered an iPad mini from Best Buy. My original plan was to use an amazon $100 gift card that I had to upgrade to a better tablet. But she's an iPhone person and uses iPads with her students all the time. She even had one from the school for about a year that they finally reclaimed. So she's very familiar with them. So I guess this was the right way to go so that it can also help with things at work.

Best Buy had a deal though which is giving me a free $100 gift card with the purchase. So that's pretty cool. It doesn't come off of the initial price, but that'll be a nice thing to have so she can get a cover or something. She won't like the color though, but that's just too bad, I bought what was available.

I'm late to the party but I think you made the right call.

I switched from iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S4 in June and I'm really regretting not going with an iPhone 5. Android basically took all the ideas from iOs, then added some extra stuff, and then made everything buggy and not super intuitive. Some of the extra features are cool, but they drain the battery and most aren't especially helpful for my everyday stuff. The really smooth user-interface on iPhone is great when you only have one hand free to mess around with your phone.

I just bought an iPad Air based on all this. Basically an extra $200 over a Galaxy Tab/Note but when you figure I'll use it at least 3 years, that comes out to like 20 cents extra a day. Plus my iPod is now 6 years old and still going strong (after a lot of abuse) so I've had good luck with Apple products. (Knock on wood.)

I'm late to the party but I think you made the right call.

I switched from iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S4 in June and I'm really regretting not going with an iPhone 5. Android basically took all the ideas from iOs, then added some extra stuff, and then made everything buggy and not super intuitive. Some of the extra features are cool, but they drain the battery and most aren't especially helpful for my everyday stuff. The really smooth user-interface on iPhone is great when you only have one hand free to mess around with your phone.

Well said. The apple products have their flaws, but they are superbly non-buggy and superbly intuitive.

Well said. The apple products have their flaws, but they are superbly non-buggy and superbly intuitive.

I think everyone knows that these are important characteristics, but I don't think they realize HOW important they are. If you're pulling out your phone for just a few minutes at a time to check email/internet/whatever, it's a lot better if everything works and if the interface is super easy to use.

I think everyone knows that these are important characteristics, but I don't think they realize HOW important they are. If you're pulling out your phone for just a few minutes at a time to check email/internet/whatever, it's a lot better if everything works and if the interface is super easy to use.

What's interesting (to me at least) is that I find iPhones (and Macs) to be completely unintuitive. Maybe I'm "used" to Android or something. :)

As for the the list above, scanning (other than taking a photo) and printing are not that well developed in the tablets I've tried (iPad and Android). If you're looking for something that works in the car, you might need a laptop (possibly Touch-friendly "convertable tablet/laptop) running Windows. I don't know business and customers, but it'd be a lot easier if the estimate forms were electronic on the tablet, then emailed to the customer.

I take it you never had to use Apple maps for navigation :P

Seriously though, Apple makes fine products and the ease of use is great for most users. But I never understood how techies could gravitate to them as I find the lack of customizability and some features absolutely maddening.

And yes, I hate Windows 8 and its interface with a fiery passion.

I haven't had a problem with those simple features on Android since probably version 2.1. Stability is light years beyond what it was even two years ago.

I take it you never had to use Apple maps for navigation :P

Seriously though, Apple makes fine products and the ease of use is great for most users. But I never understood how techies could gravitate to them as I find the lack of customizability and some features absolutely maddening.

And yes, I hate Windows 8 and its interface with a fiery passion.

Well, I'm no techie -- just someone who uses the basic iPhone functions plus a dozen or so other apps -- and I've heard techies express frustration with apple's rigidity and non-customizable nature --!but I've owned a number of apple products and a number of windows-based products, plus 2 kindles, and the difference in how well they work is huge. As I mentioned above it's like comparing Crosby with Connolly.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say what she would use it for. It will be just random around the house stuff. So it won't be anything important, which is why I will probably steer clear of the expensive apple stuff.

Microcenter is an authorized MAC reseller. My kids have older model IPADs that work great and didn't pay near as much for a new one. Too many people want the lastest and greatest. If that is what you need. Nice about IPAD 1s is they don't have cameras, which my boys are too young to use anyway and I don't want them using that stuff and posting video on the internet. Will be bad enough when they are teenagers.

We're getting way off-topic in terms of tablets, but: I wonder the same thing, but I think it comes down to two thing: games and lack of maintenance. I spend all day on Sabrespace fixing and maintaining servers and networks. Once upon a time I did the same at home as a hobby, now it's the last thing I want to do. I don't want to work on my home computers, and Windows PC are work. For most techies, Mac is the obvious choice because they're not really system people. I know Linux really well from work and once you know how, it doesn't consume much time to maintain. I run a command (or I could use the silly graphical program) every few days and it updates all the software on the system in the background. Not just the OS, but the browser, office, music player, etc.. I'd consider a Mac (especially for the wife), but they start out expensive so not to cut into iPad sales.

Well, I'm no techie -- just someone who uses the basic iPhone functions plus a dozen or so other apps -- and I've heard techies express frustration with apple's rigidity and non-customizable nature --!but I've owned a number of apple products and a number of windows-based products, plus 2 kindles, and the difference in how well they work is huge. As I mentioned above it's like comparing Crosby with Connolly.

Macs are very good at what they do, and very well suited to their customer base. And, for most people they're a better choice than Windows or Android. I think they'd truly take over if they gave up the premium good thing and sold less-expensive models. They're not for me though, they're "computing appliances". They work well but there's no "fun" to it. It's like a playoff game vs. an all-star game.

I'm enjoying knowing that this iPad is currently sitting in a UPS box on my front porch right now. It's a fairly urban area, so I'm pretty pissed about it. I had set it up for an in store pick up, but Best Buy changed that on me without giving me any say in the matter. I almost hope someone does steal it so that I can bitch at both companies for their incompetence. I've never understood why sometimes UPS will leave the stupid attempted delivery slip for a tiny padded envelope but they'll just leave a box marked up with the logo of a company who sells electronics.

edit: And it's not even Thursday.

Edited by shrader

I'm enjoying knowing that this iPad is currently sitting in a UPS box on my front porch right now. It's a fairly urban area, so I'm pretty pissed about it. I had set it up for an in store pick up, but Best Buy changed that on me without giving me any say in the matter. I almost hope someone does steal it so that I can bitch at both companies for their incompetence. I've never understood why sometimes UPS will leave the stupid attempted delivery slip for a tiny padded envelope but they'll just leave a box marked up with the logo of a company who sells electronics.

I hear you... I always thought it was just the locale of the delivery address that determined whether UPS (or whomever) would leave a package or stick a notice on your door. It also depends on the shipper's instructions and (I think) the judgement of the driver. UPS has a thing called "My UPS" which (for an annual fee, of course) will allow you to divert a delivery to a UPS Store or Center, a neighbor or specify a "safe" location at your home where they can leave a package. You also get delivery notifications via email. I've been signed up for a couple of years now and it works pretty well. I have a "secret" spot outside my garage which the UPS driver can access easily, but it cannot be viewed from the street. I don't often get the sticky notes on the screen door anymore.

I once was playing the notice on the door game with UPS. On their second attempt, I heard them lightly knock, ran for the door, and the delivery person was already in his truck. There was a foot of snow and ice and I ran up to truck barefoot yelling and waving my arms. He started up the engine, looked right at me, and drove away. Had to drive 30 minutes out of my way to pick the damn thing up.

I hear you... I always thought it was just the locale of the delivery address that determined whether UPS (or whomever) would leave a package or stick a notice on your door. It also depends on the shipper's instructions and (I think) the judgement of the driver. UPS has a thing called "My UPS" which (for an annual fee, of course) will allow you to divert a delivery to a UPS Store or Center, a neighbor or specify a "safe" location at your home where they can leave a package. You also get delivery notifications via email. I've been signed up for a couple of years now and it works pretty well. I have a "secret" spot outside my garage which the UPS driver can access easily, but it cannot be viewed from the street. I don't often get the sticky notes on the screen door anymore.

I'd actually welcome the sticky note since the UPS distribution center is right down the street from my office.

Can you get it delivered to your office? That's what I do when I order the high ticket items.

That's what I would normally do if I wanted it delivered, but that wasn't an option here. I ordered it as an in store pick up, but they changed that on me without giving me any say. Shipping was automatically changed to my billing address.

And aside from the theft thing, I'm also not too crazy about an electronic device sitting outside on a cold day. I guess that's not too big of a deal though.

That's what I would normally do if I wanted it delivered, but that wasn't an option here. I ordered it as an in store pick up, but they changed that on me without giving me any say. Shipping was automatically changed to my billing address.

And aside from the theft thing, I'm also not too crazy about an electronic device sitting outside on a cold day. I guess that's not too big of a deal though.

I'd guess that you wouldn't have to pay if it got stolen -- but it would certainly be a hassle.

Hope you're home by now and it landed safely.

I'd guess that you wouldn't have to pay if it got stolen -- but it would certainly be a hassle.

Hope you're home by now and it landed safely.

Yes, it was waiting for me when I got home. Also, somewhere along the line the price dropped by $50. There must have been a black friday deal or something that they gave me (I ordered on wednesday and they changed it on Thanksgiving). So yeah, this worked out pretty well for me. Save $50 and also get that $100 gift card? Yeah, it was worth the annoyance.

Yes, it was waiting for me when I got home. Also, somewhere along the line the price dropped by $50. There must have been a black friday deal or something that they gave me (I ordered on wednesday and they changed it on Thanksgiving). So yeah, this worked out pretty well for me. Save $50 and also get that $100 gift card? Yeah, it was worth the annoyance.

Very nice. So your iPad cost probably wasn't too much more than the Kindle would've cost, and you ended up with a much better present for the wife.

Very nice. So your iPad cost probably wasn't too much more than the Kindle would've cost, and you ended up with a much better present for the wife.

Yeah, I really wasn't aware that the minis even existed. I looked at one at a verizon store the other day and I can't imagine needed anything larger than that for home use. I stream netflix off of my PS3, so its not like I need a big screen on a tablet for that purpose. It'll be fine in the rare case where we're on the road somewhere and want to watch something.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.