Starting from scratch...roster...

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Make no doubt about it. We are in tough for the near future.

If I were Ted Nolan....here is the plan...

Call up: McNabb, Kaleta

Send down: McBain, Ristolainen, Larsson

Activate: Weber

Going forward, my lineup consists of this:

Goalies: Miller 70%, Enroth 30%

Defense:

Ehrhoff Pysyk

Myers Zadorov

Weber McNabb

Tallinder

Forwards:

Moulson Hodgson Foligno

Ott Grigorenko Lieno

Kaleta Girgensons Stafford

Ennis McCormick Tropp

Scott Flynn

My guess is guys that will thrive with Nolan :Weber, McNabb, Zadorov, Foligno, Ott, Girgensons, Kaleta, McCormick, Tropp, Flynn, Scott Enroth

Guys that work and will be ok: Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Moulson, Miller

Guys that are questions: Myers, Tallinder, Hodgson, Grigorenko, Lieno, Stafford, Ennis

The questions are the key. I think most of them can improve in a new culture, maybe all. That's a lot of talent and a lot of money. 40%+ of your used salary cap.

Risto does not look like an NHL player at this point, and in all honesty, Tropp looks toasted, Larsson looks like a nice AHL'r, Kaleta has too many demons, and Tallinder is toast as well. You gotta make due with some though.

Good luck going forward y'all. Knowing Nolan and most of these players, I think we have a shot to at least be proud by the end of the season.

Not too bad overall. But I would be more inclined to send Zadorov back to London and hope they do so. Keep McBain up. Larsson down is definitely on the way down, in my opinion. Tropp doesn't look toasted. Tropp looks like a guy that could be a solid bottom sixer in the future. Just needs to stay healthy and continue to gain experience.

Ennis on the fourth line is the other obvious gripe. No reason for that.

Reasonably good take GoDD.

But I don't care what else happens, as long as Foligno is utilized as a top six winger and Grigorenko initially gets played with players and in situations where he can succeed. If Grigorenko fails, at least it's on him.

This season was always about seeing what we have in Foligno, Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, Weber and Enroth.

That's where Teddy needs to put in most of his efforts.

I mean I want to see accountability and effort and "culture change."

But challenging those players has to be the focus so Patty and the new GM can see how many are worth saving.

I am curious to see what the philosophy will be moving forward regarding all these draft picks. I would hope that we start using them to acquire players who are more NHL ready. Obviously, we want to hang onto our #1's but all these extra 1st and 2nds could be packaged up nicely to get some guys in here that could help turn this around in 2-3 years instead of 3-5 years.

Do we now try to sign Miller, Ott, and Moulson? Do they even want to stay? Do we come off some of our prospects? Going to be interesting. I can't see them dumpling DR if it wasn't for a total change in how this rebuild was going to be done.

I'm not sure we know whether the manner in which the rebuild occurs will change just because Darcy is gone. It is possible that Pegula looked at the stands and realized Darcy had to go.

I hope that Patty and his new GM get to decide what players under contract and picks are assets AND how to use the assets to build a championship contender. Frankly, I like the fact that Patty was talking about building a championship contender. Winning the Cup takes a championship contender PLUS some luck. You can only do something about one of those ingrediants, unless you also schedule staph infection lectures!

GoDD: I didn't feel like quoting that but with Kaleta being a rw and the plethora of LW we have I would not under any circumstances place him on that left side. I like what you did for the most part. IMPO the differences would be

Moulson - Hodgson - Kaleta (yup I went there)

Ott/Ennis- Girgorenko - Foligno

Girgensons - Ennis/Ott - Flynn/Tropp

Leino - McCormick - Flynn/Tropp

The reason for this is that I think if Kaleta can play the game as opposed to just being an agitator he has the skills to be effective on the top line digging pucks out of corners and driving hard to the net. He doesn't shoot well but I think he can pass decently.

We still don't have enough centers on this damn team. Grigorenko needs two tough SOB's digging pucks out of corners and feeding him. Girgensons and Flynn seem to work together and Ennis at center sucks. Not sure what do as we have way to damn many left wings. You could flip Ennis and Ott I suppose. As for the bottom line... Leino has demonstrated to me that he is a 3/4 guy who has good control but nothing that is offensively flashy. Flynn or Tropp can effectively be the RW on that line.

As for defense... Risto goes to Rochester. Zadorov goes to London. McNabb comes up because at this point he either has it or not.

GoDD: I didn't feel like quoting that but with Kaleta being a rw and the plethora of LW we have I would not under any circumstances place him on that left side. I like what you did for the most part. IMPO the differences would be

Moulson - Hodgson - Kaleta (yup I went there)

Ott/Ennis- Girgorenko - Foligno

Girgensons - Ennis/Ott - Flynn/Tropp

Leino - McCormick - Flynn/Tropp

The reason for this is that I think if Kaleta can play the game as opposed to just being an agitator he has the skills to be effective on the top line digging pucks out of corners and driving hard to the net. He doesn't shoot well but I think he can pass decently.

We still don't have enough centers on this damn team. Grigorenko needs two tough SOB's digging pucks out of corners and feeding him. Girgensons and Flynn seem to work together and Ennis at center sucks. Not sure what do as we have way to damn many left wings. You could flip Ennis and Ott I suppose. As for the bottom line... Leino has demonstrated to me that he is a 3/4 guy who has good control but nothing that is offensively flashy. Flynn or Tropp can effectively be the RW on that line.

As for defense... Risto goes to Rochester. Zadorov goes to London. McNabb comes up because at this point he either has it or not.

Kaleta doesn't shoot well except in the playoffs against the Flyers, lol

I'm not sure we know whether the manner in which the rebuild occurs will change just because Darcy is gone. It is possible that Pegula looked at the stands and realized Darcy had to go.

I hope that Patty and his new GM get to decide what players under contract and picks are assets AND how to use the assets to build a championship contender. Frankly, I like the fact that Patty was talking about building a championship contender. Winning the Cup takes a championship contender PLUS some luck. You can only do something about one of those ingrediants, unless you also schedule staph infection lectures!

No doubt in my mind that the view of the empty seats in the stands was the primary catalyst for this move. Pegs could have waited until the season was over to make this move and nothing of substance would have turned out differently IMO. But, the fans were near revolt. he couldn't lose any more of the fans.

No doubt in my mind that the view of the empty seats in the stands was the primary catalyst for this move. Pegs could have waited until the season was over to make this move and nothing of substance would have turned out differently IMO. But, the fans were near revolt. he couldn't lose any more of the fans.

The empty seats could have been a catalyst, or last straw if you will, but I suspect this has been contemplated a while. Pegula does not strike me as a knee jerk manager. I disagree that waiting was possible. If he had lost confidence in the ability of Darcy, making the move sooner than later is critical. There are too many important decisions that need to be made in the next few months that will impact the success of the team for years to come. If you do not believe you have the right guy, you do not wait around.

Does Vanek come back after they sign Moulson, Miller and draft #1, hmmmm. Just a thought as to speed up the process here. I don't think anything is off the table starting today.

Vanek is gone. He's moved on. That's the end of that road.

I'm of the camp, that it's better on defense to have a dedicated crease clearer, and also a dedicated line clearer. With that in mind, there are a few complications. I'm going to start with GoDD's suggestion and manipulate it. Here goes:

Defense: My Changes: (Shoots)

Ehrhoff Pysyk Ehrhoff (L) Sulzer (?,L) Weber (L)

Myers Zadorov Tallinder (L) Myers ®

Weber McNabb McNabb (L) Pysyk ®

Tallinder Zadorov to AHL? or 7th depending on Sulzer

I'm of the camp, that it's better on defense to have a dedicated crease clearer, and also a dedicated line clearer. With that in mind, there are a few complications. I'm going to start with GoDD's suggestion and manipulate it. Here goes:

Defense: My Changes: (Shoots)

Ehrhoff Pysyk Ehrhoff (L) Sulzer (?,L) Weber (L)

Myers Zadorov Tallinder (L) Myers ®

Weber McNabb McNabb (L) Pysyk ®

Tallinder Zadorov to AHL? or 7th depending on Sulzer

Zadorov still can't go to the AHL.

We've got too many left handed defensemen, and maybe we could make a trade.

You know what stinks? So many people are left handed at hockey, but right handed at golf.

I am right handed, but left at both golf and hockey. Right in tennis though, so I really have no backhand.....I'll take down the Pegula daughter.. (not really, 0-6, 0-6 maybe I win a few points by getting her to laugh as she serves).

Try finding a left handed +5 golf set that doesn't require a mortgage.....

You know what stinks? So many people are left handed at hockey, but right handed at golf.

I am right handed, but left at both golf and hockey. Right in tennis though, so I really have no backhand.....I'll take down the Pegula daughter.. (not really, 0-6, 0-6 maybe I win a few points by getting her to laugh as she serves).

Try finding a left handed +5 golf set that doesn't require a mortgage.....

It's a strange trend. Most of my right handed friends are left handed in all club/stick/bat sports. Left handed in baseball, hockey, lacrosse but right handed in any throwing sports or basketball.

Zadorov still can't go to the AHL.

but if we say it 42billion times on this board it will become true? RIGHT? Holy sh!t ppl we have been over this at least 100 times either learn the AHL/Candien Junior rules or get your sh!t and get out!

That being said... Zadorov to London. Risto to Rochester. Girgensons can stay. Larsson needs to go to Rochester until Leino is bye bye. Armia can stay in Rochester all season because he needs to. Grigorenko is here and is getting better, he basically has to stay so put him on the 3rd line and give him some sheltered minutes, he will learn.

Do we now try to sign Miller, Ott, and Moulson? Do they even want to stay? Do we come off some of our prospects? Going to be interesting. I can't see them dumpling DR if it wasn't for a total change in how this rebuild was going to be done.

I think you sign Ott, trade Moulson, and talk to Miller. IDK that Miller will want to stay, even with this turn around. He's what, 32? If he waits what I consider the minimum for this rebuild of 2-3 years, he's 34-35, and thinking about retirement before this team is really ready to compete. As for if I want him to stay, I'd like it, but only for the right price. 5 years at the same rate he's at now, I'd be fine with that; he's the second best goalie in franchise history. I dont want to pay through the nose for him, though.

I think you sign Ott, trade Moulson, and talk to Miller. IDK that Miller will want to stay, even with this turn around. He's what, 32? If he waits what I consider the minimum for this rebuild of 2-3 years, he's 34-35, and thinking about retirement before this team is really ready to compete. As for if I want him to stay, I'd like it, but only for the right price. 5 years at the same rate he's at now, I'd be fine with that; he's the second best goalie in franchise history. I dont want to pay through the nose for him, though.

Gotta figure with how durable he's been during his time that he's also channeling Brodeur. We could definitely get another 4 good years out of him unless he suddenly starts falling apart.

I'll go with GoDD's lineup becuase I really can't give an opinion since I have not watched one full period putting together all their hockey games his year. That will start tonight.

I am interested to see what this new compete will be all about. Is Teddy going to play a defense first wait for the breaks, do defnesmen jump into the rush, will it be a left wing lock. I am not sure how much/how fast change he can do to the scheme they were running assuming their was one.

I really hope there is at least a different look to it even if the results (loss vs win) are the same.

It's a strange trend. Most of my right handed friends are left handed in all club/stick/bat sports. Left handed in baseball, hockey, lacrosse but right handed in any throwing sports or basketball.

I have a theory on that. My son is a right handed baseball pitcher, he doesn't bat much because he pitches but when he bats right handed he swings and misses a lot. When he bats left handed he says he sees the ball better and makes way better contact.

He is right handed so his dominant eye is his right eye, when he is at bat lefty his dominant eye is out front and sees the ball first and better opposed to when he bats righty his weak eye, the left one, doesn't pick up the ball as good or as fast, therefor more swinging and missing. I think a lot of the same principals are within other hand eye coordination sports like hockey. JMO and i'm sticking to it. :nana:

I have a theory on that. My son is a right handed baseball pitcher, he doesn't bat much because he pitches but when he bats right handed he swings and misses a lot. When he bats left handed he says he sees the ball better and makes way better contact.

He is right handed so his dominant eye is his right eye, when he is at bat lefty his dominant eye is out front and sees the ball first and better opposed to when he bats righty his weak eye, the left one, doesn't pick up the ball as good or as fast, therefor more swinging and missing. I think a lot of the same principals are within other hand eye coordination sports like hockey. JMO and i'm sticking to it. :nana:

The thing I think of with hockey is that when playing defense and stick checking and such, even if you shoot left, you use your right with one hand on the stick and tie up and stiff arm with the left...for baseball, I am not sure on the dynamics of it, but my right arm is still stronger, so I end up being a pull hitter. It's probably inefficient mechanics and you lose some power, but at least that's what I attribute the pull to. Too bad I never got into tennis much. My forehand is strong yet I can crush the backhand. I'm also crazy in that I bowl right handed, but throw a backup ball from the left side. I stopped regular bowling because I have tons of power and would sprain my middle finger every week in a league. If I protect the finger, I lose consistency. Oh...and my go-to foreplay hand is the left. Maybe I can start a pole..I mean poll about that.

Archived