Straighten Me Out: Ehrhoff

Stormin Norman

At the risk of getting bombarded by "you're a nitwit" retorts, can someone please educate me on the value of Christian Ehrhoff? He seems to be treated by some as an indisposable top two defenseman (or at least top four). What I see is a guy who never, and I mean NEVER clears the front of the net for his goaltender. Whiffing on stick checks and avoiding any physical contact whatsoever is more the norm. And one out of 80 shots he takes from the point gets through.

What the heck am I missing? Sell me on his value. If I am an opposing player in the offensive zone, I simply camp in front of the Sabres net and know I will be untouched if Ehrhoff is on the ice.

i originally thought the reason he was brought in was as a puck moving dman but i'm not so sure anymore. Another classic case of DR grossly overpaying for someone ( although his cap hit isn't bad yada yada yada ). He might be of value as tradebait at the deadline. Heck, do it now.

At the risk of getting bombarded by "you're a nitwit" retorts, can someone please educate me on the value of Christian Ehrhoff? He seems to be treated by some as an indisposable top two defenseman (or at least top four). What I see is a guy who never, and I mean NEVER clears the front of the net for his goaltender. Whiffing on stick checks and avoiding any physical contact whatsoever is more the norm. And one out of 80 shots he takes from the point gets through.

What the heck am I missing? Sell me on his value. If I am an opposing player in the offensive zone, I simply camp in front of the Sabres net and know I will be untouched if Ehrhoff is on the ice.

No argument here. :doh:

Ehrhoff is just another player suffering from the deficiencies of our forward corps. His big selling point is his point play, but if your forwards can't win puck battles, it sort of neutralizes any benefit to having a slick puck mover at the point. He can't pass it to anyone because they'll just cough it up. He can't pinch to keep the puck because that'll just lead to odd man rushes. If he shoots it and misses there's no one to get the rebounds.

Ehrhoff did sign a contract; however, it wasn't so that he could waste the best years of his career playing for the worst team in the NHL.

Correct me if I am wrong, the Sabres signed him as one of several players that were to support the core of players they had in an effort to get into the post season and possibly make a run at the Cup.

Since that is no longer a possiblity, the Sabres should do the right thing, and allow Ehrhoff to leave the organization.

To keep him would be borderline breach of contract; I don't think Ehrhoff would have ever signed a contract with the Sabres if he new that in just a few short years the Sabres would sell off all of their assets, and leave him behind on a team that most likely will not see a playoff run for a good number of years.

I don't think any of this was a part of the language they used to get him to Buffalo.

IMO, if they do not give Ehrhoff a chance to leave this team, it will only harm the organization in the long run when it comes to signing free agents.

Ehrhoff did not sign up for Hockey Hell, he signed a contract with the understanding that he was coming to Hockey Heaven.

While trading Ehrhoff is an idea, if we did who'd be our vet D-man with at least some skill? He logs masses of playing time and does well with Pysyk.

The earliest I'd trade him is after the season and we have someone who can take that role. I don't want my D-corps to be made up of:

2 rookies (Risto, Zadorov)

1 guy who's practically a rookie (Pysyk)

1 underachieving and conflicting signs D-Man (Myers)

1 guy way past his prime (Tallinder)

1 guy who's had a terrible start to the year and is presently injured (Weber)

and 1 guy who used to be good but now is entirely unknown (McBain)

If we want this team to ever do well we need a few very good vets to go along with the rookies, if not, we'll have an endless rebuild where we continuously draft kids and have them underachieve.

I am in the process of compiling my list of players to keep for a rebuild and what this team actually needs. Unfortunately at this moment in time I do not believe Ehrhoff makes the list.

Build a good forward corps and Ehrhoff becomes infinitely more valuable.

Yup. Ehrhoff is going to garner a big haul at the deadline.

Definitely. A puck-moving defenceman who can eat minutes, locked up for a while at a reasonable price?

He's the Sabres most valuable asset and some contender will pay big.

I don't think everyone has quite grasped how thorough this tear down will be.

It isn't that I dislike Ehrhoff and I am still working on the post but I am considering what the player is worth to the team, to the league, and where would they fit 3years from now.

The Sabres can't just have a team of 18-22 year olds three years from now, unless they want to be the Edmonton of the Great Lakes.

Archived