Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Minn could be a trade partner for Murray to get back into round 1 on Friday.

@Russostrib

#mnwild GM Chuck Fletcher said depending on what's there at 18, he's not adverse to move back and pick up multiple picks

I would rather have the three second rounders than the 18th overall pick. I think there's basically a 1 in 3 chance of anyone taken at 18, 31, 39, or 49 making it in the NHL, and I'd rather maximize the team's chances of getting a good one.

Edited by Eleven

I would rather have the three second rounders than the 18th overall pick. I think there's basically a 1 in 3 chance of anyone taken at 18, 31, 39, or 49 making it in the NHL, and I'd rather maximize the team's chances of getting a good one.

You'd better get to Murray before tomorrow.

Generally about 50 players from each draft manage to play a full nhl season. Many more come up for a cup of coffee. This year I see a steep fall off between 50 and 60. This is a pretty average draft. Lots of potential 3rd line players from 20 on. To get a potential top 6 I would want to move inside the top 20.

I am staunchly opposed to trading down below #4 overall -- and I only want to move down that far if there is a really nice return coming.

We fans have paid a terrible price to get here. I want my high-draft-pick consolation prize. I want Landeskog or Seguin -- not Brett Connolly or Nikita Filatov.

11 is right. Take the best GD center there is at #2 and don't get cute.

This "It's just a game" fan will go postal if we mess around with that pick. Absolutely postal.

If you think Anakin was pissed in Episode 3 - than hold on to your hats. Women, children and the Dutch will be targeted first - solely to reveal the sheer brutality of my rage to the men.

This "It's just a game" fan will go postal if we mess around with that pick. Absolutely postal.

If you think Anakin was pissed in Episode 3 - than hold on to your hats. Women, children and the Dutch will be targeted first - solely to reveal the sheer brutality of my rage to the men.

Same here. We are poised to select our highest ceiling prospect if not since Vanek, then Turgeon. Don't F it up.

If Vancouver moves into 1 and takes Reinhart, I'd offer Ekblad to Calgary and Edmonton and let them get into a bidding war with one another.

Probably. That being said, there's a time limit, right? I think you lay the groundwork ahead of time and have both Edmonton and Calgary's "best offer" before, right?

6/25/14: NHL Live: Paul Myre <6:31>

ISS Head US Scout Phil Myre joins NHL Live to provide in-depth analysis of some under-the-radar prospects heading into the 2014 NHL Draft.

NHL Draft Preview: Will Panthers Trade Top Pick? <2:27>

What are the chances that the Panthers move the No. 1 pick? Could the Oilers or Canucks be in the mix for it? Darren Dreger weighs in.

VIDEO: 2014 NHL DRAFT PREVIEW <2:35>

It's almost finally here. The first round of the 2014 NHL Draft will begin Friday night at 7 p.m. at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

SabresTV's Brian Duff talked to some of the top prospects Thursday afternoon at the National Constitution Center.

Here's what they had to say:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Worst case scenario come tomorrow evening...

If the Sabres somehow end up with Ekblad, meaning they passed on one of the "Sam's", I may end up throwing a brick through my TV.

The top 6 prospects in the system(especially center) are weak(have been since July 1st, 2007 disaster), while at the same time they just spent two high first round picks on defenseman blue chip prospects Risto and Zadorov last year, along with near ready blueline prospects McCabe and Pysyk.

Top 6 forwards in the system...Grigs and Armia(both with huge question marks), Baptiste, Compher, Fasching(all 3 may be as close to 3rd line players as they are 2nd line).

This combined with the rumored changes to the draft lottery that might be implemented prior to next years draft, make last year and this coming year, a bitter pill to swallow.

Worst case scenario come tomorrow evening...

If the Sabres somehow end up with Ekblad, meaning they passed on one of the "Sam's", I may end up throwing a brick through my TV.

The top 6 prospects in the system(especially center) are weak(have been since July 1st, 2007 disaster), while at the same time they just spent two high first round picks on defenseman blue chip prospects Risto and Zadorov last year, along with near ready blueline prospects McCabe and Pysyk.

Top 6 forwards in the system...Grigs and Armia(both with huge question marks), Baptiste, Compher, Fasching(all 3 may be as close to 3rd line players as they are 2nd line).

This combined with the rumored changes to the draft lottery that might be implemented prior to next years draft, make last year and this coming year, a bitter pill to swallow.

I expect Murray to be wheeling and dealing even if they have to overpay it wouldn't shock me.

NHL Draft: High Steaks <4:24>

James Duthie tours Philadelphia with prospects Sam Bennett and Aaron Ekblad, where they enjoy Philly cheese steaks and practice some pull-ups.

Slick draft prospect Sam Reinhart could be sure thing for Sabres with top pick

If they keep the No. 1 pick, the Florida Panthers are expected to grab stud defenseman Aaron Ekblad. That would leave the Sabres with their choice of a top center. Murray said last week there’s “a very good chance” the Sabres will take Sam Bennett, Leon Draisaitl or Sam Reinhart, the best pivots available.

It’s believed the Sabres want Reinhart, a superstar with the Western Hockey League’s Kootenay Ice and the No. 3 prospect among North America skaters, according to NHL Central Scouting.

Talk to scouts and others in hockey, and they’ll say the 18-year-old possesses the qualities – leadership, maturity, immense skill and an all-around game – of a future franchise center.

Kootenay coach Ryan McGill doesn’t “wish and hope” Reinhart, his captain, will enjoy NHL success.

“I know he will,” McGill told the Times Herald by phone last week.

McGill understands Reinhart’s an NHL-ready prospect. His junior days are likely over.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I still cannot understand why people want Sam Bennett? Out of the three forwards, he chipped in the least, on his team's goals...at something like 74%, or somewhere around there. Whereas Draisaitl contributed on 91%, and Reinhart at 84%...and they say Draisaitl played on the weakest team.

all things being equal (meaning talent level of those 3 potential picks), wouldn't it make sense that the 1 playing on the weakest team would contribute to more of the goals? In other words, there are less talented players around him that would also be scoring goals, which would reduce his contribution percentage.

with no team-talent comparisons between the two Sams, their contribution percentages can't really be compared, I guess.

just spit-balling, I could be wrong.

Edited by will

Why do I have a feeling that Kesler gets traded to the Ducks for the 10th overall pick. Then the Canucks trade the 6th,10th picks and Edler to the Panthers for the First Overall.

And Reinhart gets to play for his hometown.

I think Anaheim would include both of their firsts along with a young forward.

Hypothetical situation:

This just in the Florida Panthers have traded the 1st overall pick to the Vancouver Canucks for blah blah blah.

The Vancouver Canucks are happy to take from the Kootenay Ice, Sam Reinhart......

Buffalo is now on the clock and you are Tim Murray.... what do you do?

Personally I walk over to Calgary's table and ask what they'd give me with the 4th overall to jump over their bitter rival Edmonton's 3rd pick to get Ekblad. Then sit down back at the Sabres table and wait for Edmonton to throw stuff at us. Like Eberle and the 3rd or Gagner, a 2nd rounder in 2015 and the 3rd overall. If they don't bite, trade the pick to Calgary. I'm unwilling to take Ekblad seeing as we already have a solid base of defensive prospects. But Edm and Cal would be pretty easy to play against one another

Edited by thewookie1

Hypothetical situation:

This just in the Florida Panthers have traded the 1st overall pick to the Vancouver Canucks for blah blah blah.

The Vancouver Canucks are happy to take from the Kootenay Ice, Sam Reinhart......

Buffalo is now on the clock and you are Tim Murray.... what do you do?

Take Ekblad. Start gauging the value of your other dmen to see when your next pick will be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.