Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I'm not accusing them of coasting. My contention is that their talent alone isn't outshining the situations. I swear half of Bennett's goals happen with the goaltending no where near the net. Reinhart seems to score when teams quit playing defense. What I like about Draisaitl and Ekblad is that their play is what stands out over what their team mates and opponents are doing.

I'm basing it on purely on video. Bennett and Reinhart are beneficiaries of defensive breakdowns and sloppy goaltending. Their teammates do a lot of work to draw attention away from them so they can score.

On the other hand Draisaitl and Ekblad are the guys drawing that attention. They're the ones breaking things down for their teammates.

I don't want Vanek part 2.

So Reinhart and Bennett are scoring goals the way 90% are scored in the NHL? :P

Seriously though, thanks for the clarification, that makes much more sense. We can agree to disagree with your ultimate conclusion, but at least now I understand your reasoning :)

So Reinhart and Bennett are scoring goals the way 90% are scored in the NHL? :P

Seriously though, thanks for the clarification, that makes much more sense. We can agree to disagree with your ultimate conclusion, but at least now I understand your reasoning :)

Honestly I have hard time getting excited about a bunch of kids. I just don't want to draft a bust or some kid with good hands and nothing else.

At least if we get Bennett or Reinhart they won't be Drew Stafford.

Honestly I have hard time getting excited about a bunch of kids. I just don't want to draft a bust or some kid with good hands and nothing else.

At least if we get Bennett or Reinhart they won't be Drew Stafford.

I'm far from Stafford's biggest detractor and I'm pretty confident I'd uncontrollably sob if we ended up with his equivalent at #2. I'd be emotionally crushed.

I'm far from Stafford's biggest detractor and I'm pretty confident I'd uncontrollably sob if we ended up with his equivalent at #2. I'd be emotionally crushed.

So you see my concern here. I don't want another talented kid who can score but only if conditions are right. I want players who exert their dominance.

Inferior competition? I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. Reinhart was the best player on his team in the same league, and Bennett was the best player in his team in the OHL. We're not talking about players from the Q here.

I'll take the bait.

Some of the best players in the NHL, past and present, came out of the Q. Including the best Sabre ever.

So, there, Mr. Smarty Pants.

:nana:

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

So you see my concern here. I don't want another talented kid who can score but only if conditions are right. I want players who exert their dominance.

Most definitely. I just don't think that Bennett or Reinhart (especially Reinhart), have that in their future.

I'll take the bait.

Some of the best players in the NHL, past and present, came out of the Q. Including the best Sabre ever.

So, there, Mr. Smarty Pants.

:nana:

Look, it's not my fault that your favorite team plays in a league that doesn't play defense. To paraphrase Brian Burke, players in the Q can't spell defense :P

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I take Reinhart please but something tells me it will be Bennett. I think the Ontario league has better players.

I think out of what we've heard, out of Reinhart , Drasiaitl, and Bennett, Bennett seems like the out man out for GMTM

Look, it's not my fault that your favorite team plays in a league that doesn't play defense. To paraphrase Brian Burke, players in the Q can't spell defense :P

Hey, now.

Your original post didn't mention anything about playing defense in the Q, or lack thereof.

Anyway, my apologies, Mr. Smarty Pants.

;)

I don't really agree with you.

Hey, now.

Your original post didn't mention anything about playing defense in the Q, or lack thereof.

Anyway, my apologies, Mr. Smarty Pants.

;)

I don't really agree with you.

I'm not completely anti-Q or anything, but similar offensive numbers in that league translate less well to the NHL than from the OHL or WHL. Obviously special talents like MacKinnon (and probably Drouin) don't really fall prey to that.

I'm not completely anti-Q or anything, but similar offensive numbers in that league translate less well to the NHL than from the OHL or WHL. Obviously special talents like MacKinnon (and probably Drouin) don't really fall prey to that.

I'm too busy streaming the WC to look it up, so maybe you could, and let us all know how many offensive stars from the Q have gone one to be offensive stars in the NHL. I would think it would be more than a few.

One of the players we got in the St. Louis trade was a good Q player, William Carrier.

So do we think Murray has already made a decision or has a solid order of guys set? A lot of former execs say they don't make any real decisions until the beginning of draft week.

I would think, being his first GM job and the amount of work he has to do, he's got that squared away so he can focus on trades this week.

If we could come away with...Reinhart, Tuch, Karlsson and Demko in the first two rounds...I'd call that an amazing draft.

(No Tuch? Give me...Ritchie, Virtanen, or Perlini.)

Is that too far-fetched, or no?

Where do people see jakub vrana falling? Haven't seen anyone talk about him. I'd be interested in him with one of our second rounders if he makes it that far. Haven't seen him play all that much besides the world championships but I liked his game there... but I'm sure many of you have a ton more to base your opinion of him on than I do

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I did not see it anywhere.

According to this study, Sam Reinhart is the #12 offensive prospect to come out of the draft in the past decade.

http://thats-offside.blogspot.ca/2014/06/adjusted-draft-year-scoring-for-chl.html

Edited by Bob Malooga

Sam Reinhart may not be big or fast or strong, but he is fast enough and he is going to play at 6'1 195.

Those empty spaces you see him and his line mates cashing in on are usually created by exceptionally smart hockey plays.

He is not scared and his hands are amazing.

He's no Gretzky, but I'm playing that card to emphasize how elite hockey smarts can trump the size/speed stuff.

He has elements of that in his game. He goes to the right spots and moves the puck to the right spots.

The other guys do other things better than he does, but skilled, smart, playmaking centre is our biggest need.

Reinhart is the guy.

Edited by dudacek

My problem with Reinhart and Bennett as well is that both of them seem to be the product of the poor competition they face. Where Ekblad and Draisaitl are actively battling in their highlight reels the Sams are just kinda...lucky. It's unsettling to me.

The Sams are not "lucky". I completely disagree with that assessment.

We wouldn't even be talking about Leon if he was 6'1" 185lbs. Bennett has better skating and is more physical. Reinhart has better skating an is smarter. Both players bring just a little more to the table then Leon. Leon shields the puck well in juniors because he is playing against 180-200lbs players who can't force him off of it.

I would be happy with any three but there is a separation to me between Sams and Leon.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I did not see it anywhere.

According to this study, Sam Reinhart is the #12 offensive prospect to come out of the draft in the past decade.

http://thats-offside.blogspot.ca/2014/06/adjusted-draft-year-scoring-for-chl.html

Love seeing Grigorenko and Zagrapan in a list of young studs that are scattered throughout the league. :wallbash:

Sam Reinhart may not be big or fast or strong, but he is fast enough and he is going to play at 6'1 195.

Those empty spaces you see him and his line mates cashing in on are usually created by exceptionally smart hockey plays.

He is not scared and his hands are amazing.

He's no Gretzky, but I'm playing that card to emphasize how elite hockey smarts can trump the size/speed stuff.

He has elements of that in his game. He goes to the right spots and moves the puck to the right spots.

The other guys do other things better than he does, but skilled, smart, playmaking centre is our biggest need.

Reinhart is the guy.

Aye, thank you. :beer:

Love seeing Grigorenko and Zagrapan in a list of young studs that are scattered throughout the league. :wallbash:

Grigs is no Zagrapan, and is still (and always will be) younger than me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.