Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I'm thinking the choice will be: Reihnart or Draisaitl at 2.

Either works for me with Ekblad gone.

Me too. My preference is Reinhart, but Draisaitl impresses me.

As for Ekblad, I listened to a radio interview this morning with a Florida guy takling about the Panthers' young 1-2 punch up the middle in Barkov/Bjugstad and how they added Pirri and how Drew Shore looks like he could be a legitimate 3/4 pivot.

All things being equal, Ekblad makes the most sense for them.

Edited by dudacek

Me too. My preference is Reinhart, but Draisaitl impresses me.

As for Ekblad, I listened to a radio interview this morning with a Florida guy takling about the Panthers' young 1-2 punch up the middle in Barkov/Bjugstad and how they added Pirri and how Drew Shore looks like he could be a legitimate 3/4 pivot.

All things being equal, Ekblad makes the most sense for them.

For Florida it makes sense. there isn't a comparable Dman in the draft.

I'm thinking the choice will be: Reihnart or Draisaitl at 2.

Either works for me with Ekblad gone.

I've been championing Leon "The Deutschland Dangler" Draisaitl for quite a while. Kid knows how to score goals and has NHL size already. If Murray is truly trying to pattern the Sabres after the Kings then Leon fits that mold well due to his size and puck possession skills.

I've been championing Leon "The Deutschland Dangler" Draisaitl for quite a while. Kid knows how to score goals and has NHL size already. If Murray is truly trying to pattern the Sabres after the Kings then Leon fits that mold well due to his size and puck possession skills.

Or we could trade Myers to Edmonton (details include 3rd overall) and take Bennett and Draisaitl.

I want to add that Leon's interview I found intersesting and his highlights and write ups make him look pretty good. My only issue is Bennett is 8months younger. 8 months from now Bennett could be 6' but 195lbs. Just another side to this coin.

Edited by LGR4GM

Or we could trade Myers to Edmonton (details include 3rd overall) and take Bennett and Draisaitl.

That sounds good too!

I'm not a huge Myers fan and we have so many good defensive prospects that he is (arguably) a moveable asset. Devine is on record saying he drafted Risto and Zadorov to be a future top pairing (one plays the left side and one plays the right side).

I want to add that Leon's interview I found intersesting and his highlights and write ups make him look pretty good. My only issue is Bennett is 8months younger. 8 months from now Bennett could be 6' but 195lbs. Just another side to this coin.

Didn't we establish that being younger isn't a positive? That, if anything, it's a negative?

In my humble opinion I hope we keep all of our D and take a Sam at two and then trade 2 or all 3 of our seconds to move back up for another mid round first and take a forward. It takes D much longer to develop than F and by the sounds of things next draft should be absolute franchise changing. I want our D to be ready when we pick McDavid (or one/two of the other highly ranked forwards). This way I think we are atleast competitive come 2015/2016.

Didn't we establish that being younger isn't a positive? That, if anything, it's a negative?

no. we most definitely did not established such a thing.

When asked what one thing he wanted to let teams know at the combine.

"I really like games when the pressures on, when the games on the line I think I play my best hockey. I want to be a winner."

Okay. But I do remember a conversation where multiple people said they don't view it as a positive and can see it as a negative in some ways.

There was a discussion yes. Some did view it as Negative. I am not one of them. I am much more concerned with the fact Bennett is on the most stacked team out of the 3.

Draisaitl chipped in on 91 per cent (of the teams goals), Reinhart 84 per cent and Bennett 74 per cent. That is also an interesting statistic to consider.

There was a discussion yes. Some did view it as Negative. I am not one of them. I am much more concerned with the fact Bennett is on the most stacked team out of the 3.

Draisaitl chipped in on 91 per cent (of the teams goals), Reinhart 84 per cent and Bennett 74 per cent. That is also an interesting statistic to consider.

The one thing that bothers me with Bennett is that if you watch his highlight reels a lot of his goals are the result of straight up bad goaltending. I'm worried that he's a result of opportunity rather than individual talent.

I watched some of Draisaitl's highlights. He seemed ... slow, to my untrained eye. "Lumbering" came to mind.

I did not have similar reactions when watching either of the Sams.

Who among us has the ability to judge the quality of skating? Are my concerns unfounded?

I watched some of Draisaitl's highlights. He seemed ... slow, to my untrained eye. "Lumbering" came to mind.

I did not have similar reactions when watching either of the Sams.

Who among us has the ability to judge the quality of skating? Are my concerns unfounded?

The scouting reports are what you see. His skating is really the only reason he's not my first choice. Give me Reinhart, although I wouldn't be upset with Bennett. Heck, I wouldn't be upset with Draisaitl either, but he's not my first choice.

The scouting reports are what you see. His skating is really the only reason he's not my first choice. Give me Reinhart, although I wouldn't be upset with Bennett. Heck, I wouldn't be upset with Draisaitl either, but he's not my first choice.

I don't think he's a bad skater. He's got excellent control. Maybe not blazing fast, but he has deceptive speed.

I just love how he protects the puck as he moves through space. He looks like Jumbo Thornton, who's also not fast, when protecting the puck. In the corners he reminds me of a young Forsberg. I wouldn't be disappointed with him at all. I think he's got an NHL game.

Reinhart would be hard to pass on though.

it's a win either way.

@reporterchris: This should be the most interesting NHL entry draft in memory. Trades, UFA's interviewing with teams and ... an actual draft as well.

I'm so looking forward to this years draft but more importantly next years draft. I think Murray is going to be very active from now until next years draft. Just hoping he lands the players he wants!

I'm so looking forward to this years draft but more importantly next years draft. I think Murray is going to be very active from now until next years draft. Just hoping he lands the players he wants!

I feel like this year's draft will be more interesting than next year's. Teams won't move much next year. Including the draft lotteries, this is the order of interesting...ness:

1. 2015 NHL Draft Lottery

2. 2014 NHL Draft

3. 2014 NHL Draft Lottery

4. 2015 NHL Draft

We'll know next year who we are getting as long as we land a top two pick.

I feel like this year's draft will be more interesting than next year's. Teams won't move much next year. Including the draft lotteries, this is the order of interesting...ness:

2. 2014 NHL Draft

4. 2015 NHL Draft

Yeah, but there are two more first round picks.

2. 2014 NHL Draft

4. 2015 NHL Draft

Buffalo needs some luck and get that 1st pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.