Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

So you should all read this article because it is quite fascinating IMPO. It takes the Vancouver Canucks drafts starting in 2000 and it compares them to an intern who's only information is the pts CHL players scored in their draft eligible year and he must take the one with the most points. Defenders and Goalies are excluded. Let's just say the Canucks really stink at drafting compared to the intern.

http://canucksarmy.c...couting-problem

It is very interesting, but in real life, GMs have to draft defensemen and goaltenders.

It is very interesting, but in real life, GMs have to draft defensemen and goaltenders.

I wonder what if, and I am just spitballing here, but what if you added the provision NO defenders in the 1st round and no gt before the 4th round and then came up with a scale that would equate Defenders production and GT production to Goals. I know this is convoluted compared to what they just did but I wonder...

Actually I find the defensemen are easier to find than the forwards, therefore the drafting a forward in each first round is probably the best strategy. And I agree with LPF that good forwards correlate to winning more than good defensemen do, therefore early picks should be used on forwards.

No shred of information that wasn't already available at the time was used.

They limit their picks to the players taken by everyone else before the next Canuck pick, which they would not know at the time. They would do better by not valuing Q points so high, would save them Zagrapan, but would cost them Giroux.

Flyers offering free tickets to 2014 NHL Draft

Fans will have access to free tickets to the 2014 NHL Draft starting Friday in a special drawing held by the Philadelphia Flyers.

Starting at 1 p.m. ET on Friday, May 30, fans can go to PhiladelphiaFlyers.com/NHLDraft and sign up to receive free tickets. Tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first served basis.

The draft will be held June 27-28 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

In addition to seeing future NHL stars selected, fans attending the draft will be able to take their photo with a collection of NHL trophies, including the Stanley Cup, and shop from vendors selling one-of-a-kind collectibles at the 2014 NHL Draft Trading Card Show.

It's worth a day or two to spend at Monk's Cafe alone.

Philly beer week looks like it kicks off tomorrow too, that also is a great reason to visit.

Huh, and I'll be down in the city on Saturday. What a happy coincidence!

I don't think I've been to Monk's for some reason. I usually end up at Eulogy or "the one on 3rd across from National Mechanics that I can never remember the name of" when I'm looking for Belgian. Or more recently, Belgian Cafe on 21st and Green. The wife likes that place since they have some good vegetarian food.

Edited by MattPie

So a lot of guys are saying we should get Ryan Callahan as a UFA. I say lets draft him. Anton Karlsson, 6'2" 194lbs and his style of play has been compared to Callahan and he has the same potential as far as his talent level. This is just one of the scouting reports but this guy seems like the he could be a great pick up 31st overall.

Later today I may be getting my draft guide and I will take a peak at that to see what they say about Karlsson.

"He also loves to forecheck and to play a gritty-style of game, controlling the well down low and looking for opportunities to use those passing skills. Karlsson has the soft hands in tight to score goals on rebounds and tip-ins close to the net. He also shows an agitating side as he can get under the skin of opponents and is at the middle of nearly every scrum after the whistle when he is on the ice."

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/05/06/2014-nhl-draft-profile-33-anton-karlsson/

Huh, and I'll be down in the city on Saturday. What a happy coincidence!

I don't think I've been to Monk's for some reason. I usually end up at Eulogy or "the one on 3rd across from National Mechanics that I can never remember the name of" when I'm looking for Belgian. Or more recently, Belgian Cafe on 21st and Green. The wife likes that place since they have some good vegetarian food.

Monk's is great because they will sometimes have Russian River beers (Pliny The Elder) on tap. I went with the wife to Eulogy last year during NHC, the steamed mussels with some Rodenbach was awesome.

Monk's is great because they will sometimes have Russian River beers (Pliny The Elder) on tap. I went with the wife to Eulogy last year during NHC, the steamed mussels with some Rodenbach was awesome.

Heh, speaking of the Beligian Cafe in Philly:

"From the guys who brought you Monks Cafe. The Craft Beer Bar & Restaurant for the Fairmount & Art Museum area."

So you should all read this article because it is quite fascinating IMPO. It takes the Vancouver Canucks drafts starting in 2000 and it compares them to an intern who's only information is the pts CHL players scored in their draft eligible year and he must take the one with the most points. Defenders and Goalies are excluded. Let's just say the Canucks really stink at drafting compared to the intern.

http://canucksarmy.c...couting-problem

Interesting how many Sabres appeared on that list

So a lot of guys are saying we should get Ryan Callahan as a UFA. I say lets draft him. Anton Karlsson, 6'2" 194lbs and his style of play has been compared to Callahan and he has the same potential as far as his talent level. This is just one of the scouting reports but this guy seems like the he could be a great pick up 31st overall.

Later today I may be getting my draft guide and I will take a peak at that to see what they say about Karlsson.

"He also loves to forecheck and to play a gritty-style of game, controlling the well down low and looking for opportunities to use those passing skills. Karlsson has the soft hands in tight to score goals on rebounds and tip-ins close to the net. He also shows an agitating side as he can get under the skin of opponents and is at the middle of nearly every scrum after the whistle when he is on the ice."

http://lastwordonspo...anton-karlsson/

We already drafted him, JT Compher. But there's no harm in signing him as a UFA and drafting another one of him, eh?

Bennett learned OHL, emerged as best in 2014 class

A little confidence went a long way in helping jumpstart the career of Kingston Frontenacs center Samuel Bennett.

There wasn't much pressure on Bennett entering 2012-13, his first season in the Ontario Hockey League, after being the ninth pick of the 2012 OHL draft. He played his game, learned the team's system and style of play, and gradually gained a familiarity with how he needed to perform in order to be successful.

"Entering my first year I didn't really know what to expect," Bennett told NHL.com. "I didn't really have too high goals for myself. But this year I definitely was expecting a lot more and I came into the league with a lot more confidence. Winning the World Under-18 Championship [in April 2013], getting that support from teammates and the coaching staff helped with my confidence."

I hope the Sabres draft this guy.

Regarding Milano, I think it was Derrico who recently said there're about 30 really good players here. I think Derrico is right, and Murray will sit at 31 to see who he gets.

I'm hoping he gets DeAngelo. The intern in Vancouver looks at his stats and says 1.39 ppg, for a defenseman? My model thinks he's the best player in this draft, but the model looks at the world like the Vancouver intern, ignoring the fact that DeAngelo is small. A couple of the mocks that Liger posted had DeAngelo available at 31, I can't believe it will happen

I think if Murray has a player he wants he going to make that move even if he has to overpay. He did it with Fasching and don't be surprised to see him do it again

I think Murray got a fair price for that deal. Fasching and Delauriers are both worth a second rounder, especially in this draft, one of those 2nds is the 59th or 60th pick. Buffalo already owns the 61st pick. McNabb probably doesn't make the LA roster. If McNabb doesn't he gets waived and Buffalo has first claim if they want him back.

Here we go, my first mock of the year. This is a shot from the hip with less research than my final one but have at it.

1) Florida: Sam Reinhart

2) Buffalo: Sam Bennett

3) Edmonton: Aaron Ekblad

4) Calgary: Michael Dal Colle

5) New York Isles: Leon Draisaitl

6) Vancouver: Brendan Perlini

7) Carolina: Nick Ritchie

8) Toronto: William Nylander

9) Winnipeg: Jake Virtanen

10) Anaheim: Nicolaj Ehlers

11) Nashville: Robbi Fabri

12) Arizona: Kasperi Kapanen

13) Washington: Haydn Fleury

14) Dallas: Ivan Barbashev

15) Detroit: Dylan Larkin

16) Columbus: Alex Tuch

17) Philadelphia: Joshua Ho-Sang

18) Minnesota: Thatcher Demko

19) Tampa Bay: Sonny Milano

20) San Jose: Adrian Kempe

21) St. Louis: Ryan MacInnis

22) Pittsburgh: Brendan Lamieux

23) Colorado: Roland McKeown

24) Anaheim: Jakub Vrana

25) Boston: Connor Bleackley

26) Chicago: Nick Schmaltz

27) Montreal: Nikita Scherbak

28) New York: Nicolay Goldobin

29) Los Angeles: Vlad Kamenev

30) New Jersey: Kevin Fiala

31) Buffalo: Anton Karlsson

Edited by LGR4GM

I think Murray got a fair price for that deal. Fasching and Delauriers are both worth a second rounder, especially in this draft, one of those 2nds is the 59th or 60th pick. Buffalo already owns the 61st pick. McNabb probably doesn't make the LA roster. If McNabb doesn't he gets waived and Buffalo has first claim if they want him back.

No, it was definitely an overpayment. McNabb has more value than Deslauriers. Fasching was a fourth-rounder a year before. I understand that his performance that year warranted more success, but they basically traded two seconds for Fasching.

What scenario would you rather have more Liger?

We take whichever Sam you don't want, or Drasaitl, and snag Karlsson.

or

We take whomever you believe to be the best player at #2 and we don't get Karlsson.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Karlsson after this draft, you've gotten me interested to see where he goes in the NHL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.