Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Snow really had no other choice.

I hope he is in a period of serious regret come this time next year.

The trade sucks for the Islanders regardless of what pick they decided to surrender. The 2015 draft should be great for the Sabres. Here's to a really bad Islanders team in 2014!

@TSNBobMcKenzie

NYI and goalie Jaro Halak have reached an agreement on a new contract.

Well the 5th would have been nice and I'm a bit disappointed they were able to sign Halak. Having said that we now own 3 1st round picks in what is suppose to be an excellent draft year. Here's hoping for a Sabres, Isles and Blues tank in 2014/2015!!

:beer:

Islanders Retain First Round Selection in 2014 NHL Draft: http://islanders.nhl...s.htm?id=720290

The only move they could make. You never give up a guaranteed top 5 pick. This was totally predictable. I never thought for one second they would give it to Buffalo. My biggest fear now is that Tim Murray will get "drunk" with all the draft picks and trade them away too easily. I hope he doesn't.

Our first and second, Islanders first and second, and the Blues first - it will be the draft that defines this franchise for the next decade.

I

keep forgetting he St.Louis 1st is for 2015 and the conditional was for this year. Thanks for the clarification.

The trade sucks for the Islanders regardless of what pick they decided to surrender. The 2015 draft should be great for the Sabres. Here's to a really bad Islanders team in 2014!

@TSNBobMcKenzie

NYI and goalie Jaro Halak have reached an agreement on a new contract.

Here's to Halak having the worst season of his life.

The only move they could make. You never give up a guaranteed top 5 pick. This was totally predictable. I never thought for one second they would give it to Buffalo. My biggest fear now is that Tim Murray will get "drunk" with all the draft picks and trade them away too easily. I hope he doesn't.

He might be inclined to move some second round picks, but I cannot see him trading any 2015 1st Rounders until the draft order is set next year.

Is it too much to ask for the Blues to come crashing down to Earth?

The Buffalo Sabres, the first team in history to have the #1, #2 and #3 overall picks in a professional sports draft.

Would be nice, but I don't believe the Blues regress that much. I can't see them repeating this season however. The most likely deduction by many is 23 to 27 overall pick in 15. I'd expect that to be a reasonable expectation. Personally, if they fall below the 20th overall selection I'd be ecstatic.

As for the Islanders, I still see them as a 4th to 7th overall selection. If they over achieve (my personal estimation in any event) and end up 12th to 16th overall, I still wouldn't be disappointed. I would like Murray to take the Islanders and Blues picks along with one of those early 2nd rounders (Buffalo's even) to get up into the 7 to 9 spot. I firmly believe we have plenty of depth players for lines 3 and 4 in the system now, I'd like that 1st line top tier talent filled out and that 2nd line secondary threat filled out by the end of the 15 draft.

The Buffalo Sabres, the first team in history to have the #1, #2 and #3 overall picks in a professional sports draft.

Too many good players for it to happen IMO. They would need to suffer several serious injuries to key players for them to miss out on the postseason.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think the west has hitch's system figured out. They still have the talent, but there wasn't too much variation.

I could see them struggling.

At worst, I could see St Louis taking the bottom wildcard spot. And I think that'd take injuries. Besides Minnestoga, who could bump St Louis into a wildcard spot, there's not many teams in the Pacific or the rest of the Central (Nashville) that are outside looking in and ready to knock a wildcard team out. St Louis would have to put up at least 10 fewer wins, going from a 52-23-7 to something like a 42-33-7 for it to even be close. St Louis's defense is too steady to change much from their 2nd-best 191 GA and the non-playoff teams in the west are just not scoring enough goals to force their way into contention.

At worst, I could see St Louis taking the bottom wildcard spot. And I think that'd take injuries. Besides Minnestoga, who could bump St Louis into a wildcard spot, there's not many teams in the Pacific or the rest of the Central (Nashville) that are outside looking in and ready to knock a wildcard team out. St Louis would have to put up at least 10 fewer wins, going from a 52-23-7 to something like a 42-33-7 for it to even be close. St Louis's defense is too steady to change much from their 2nd-best 191 GA and the non-playoff teams in the west are just not scoring enough goals to force their way into contention.

And then there's Colorado. They're due to fall back to earth a bit next year. And this is before even accounting for how they handle their free agents this offseason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.