Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I just want the process to be as annoying for them as possible. If what 11 said was true, I want them to be annoyed and have to re-draw the lottery 4 or 5 times. I'll take the miniscule extra chance of that happening. They deserve any extra annoyances they can get now that they've let NJ mostly off the hook.

Oh, what I said is true: GR definitely announced it. Now whether they are correct or not is a completely different matter!

Wasn't it reported somewhere that the Isles have to decide by June 1st? And, aren't trades closed until some number fo days after the final playoff game?

I believe this is in fact correct and that the trade market opens 48 hours after the final game is played. Either way if the NYI traded their pick the Sabres would still own the rights to that pick. I would guess they can't trade the pick prior to deciding if they are making it or not.

If Wang is selling the Islanders I would think that it about clinches the decision for them to give the Sabres their 1st round pick this year. I can't imagine selling the team and the new owners not having a 1st round pick in their first draft.

That isn't a terrible thought. Perhaps they will not defer to ensure the new management team has a 1st round pick in 2015.

If they trade the pick in 2014 then we get their 2015 pick. We traded for the Islanders pick not whatever pick they trade around and get. The Islanders pick 5th for instance no matter if they trade out of the spot it is still considered the Islanders pick. So if they traded this year it we be an automatic deferral and next year they would not be allowed to trade because we would already own the pick.

Sam Reinhart 5g, 9a, 14pts in 5games. That is actually fairly impressive.

Definitely exciting. I haven't watched enough of Junior as I'd like, but he's the guy at 1 for the Sabres. IMO, that is. I am getting more interested in Dal Colle, after I've done more research. Whereas before I was more interested in Draisaitl.

If Wang is selling the Islanders I would think that it about clinches the decision for them to give the Sabres their 1st round pick this year. I can't imagine selling the team and the new owners not having a 1st round pick in their first draft.

If they win the lottery, they keep the pick. There is no way they can give away the 1st overall pick.

If they win the lottery, they keep the pick. There is no way they can give away the 1st overall pick.

The lottery is the main reason the deferral clause is in there in the first place.

If they win the lottery, they will certainly use the pick.

Right now though the pick is kind of in limbo.

Technically, it's the Sabres, but they can't do anything with it until the Islanders decide on the deferral.

If the pick is ours, it almost guarantees we try to move it (or our own number one) to make a big deal for a young, top-six forward.

I said it before, this was the best deal Darcy ever made.

If it doesn't get Snow fired, nothing will.

Definitely exciting. I haven't watched enough of Junior as I'd like, but he's the guy at 1 for the Sabres. IMO, that is. I am getting more interested in Dal Colle, after I've done more research. Whereas before I was more interested in Draisaitl.

Dal Colle is the power winger we need but we probably won't have the luxury of taking him.

I believe this is in fact correct and that the trade market opens 48 hours after the final game is played. Either way if the NYI traded their pick the Sabres would still own the rights to that pick. I would guess they can't trade the pick prior to deciding if they are making it or not.

That isn't a terrible thought. Perhaps they will not defer to ensure the new management team has a 1st round pick in 2015.

Not sure if you meant last regular season or playoff game but unless they changed it with the new CBA, trades are allowed after last regular season game. There have been a few trades made while playoffs are going on the last few years. Obviously nothing major, nor involving teams still in playoffs.

March 28th Recap late 1st / Early 2nd Round Prospects

Jonas Johansson G Brynäs 20SHA 3GA

Oskar Lindblom LW Brynäs 0G 0A -1+/-

Brynäs lose to Leksands IF 4-1 best of 3 quarter finals tied 1 game each

David Pastrnak RW Södertälje 0G 0A -2+/-

Adrian Kempe LW MODO 0G 1A

MODO Defeat Södertälje 5-0 and win series 2 games to 0

Pastrnak's season is now over

This is where the league has it wrong. They should have to decide on wether they want the pick or not before the lottery takes place. They give us their pick and we have two spots in the lotto. They don't and we get one this year but two next.

The lottery is the main reason the deferral clause is in there in the first place.

If they win the lottery, they will certainly use the pick.

Right now though the pick is kind of in limbo.

Technically, it's the Sabres, but they can't do anything with it until the Islanders decide on the deferral.

If the pick is ours, it almost guarantees we try to move it (or our own number one) to make a big deal for a young, top-six forward.

I said it before, this was the best deal Darcy ever made.

If it doesn't get Snow fired, nothing will.

I wouldn't count on GMTM moving a top 5 pick for a top 6 forward. The risk is too high on the partners end. A top 5 pick has the potential, but the player has the numbers. It is always a matter of potential for potential when it comes to picks and prospects. The potential of a top 5 pick is also alluring in that the perceived potential or ceiling is higher than that of the player offered.

I don't see Murray trading our pick or the Islanders' pick if they decide not to defer. Personally, I'm hoping we draft #1, select Reinhart, the Islanders don't defer and we're able to draft Dal Colle at 4 or 5. Those 2 along with our top pick in 2015 should go a long way to us finally having a solid top 6 in a few years.

Edited by Drunkard

You guys aren't listening to Murray.

He's made it very clear he'd rather have 22-year-olds with upside than 18-year-olds with same.

He also said he's going to be ready to pounce on whatever top-six forward shakes lose, as one inevitably does at the draft.

Jordan Staal cost the Canes Brandon Sutter and the number-eight overall.

I'm just spitballing, but maybe the number four pick plus Marcus Foligno nets Evander Kane

Top 2014 NHL Draft prospects offer self-evaluations

TORONTO -- Prior to the start of every season, NHL Central Scouting already has evaluated hundreds of the top prospects available in the upcoming NHL draft.

In addition to putting together meticulous reports that detail a player's good and bad points, and then sharing them with their colleagues, it's also required that each prospect file some paperwork to Central Scouting.

So long before Samuel Bennett of the Kingston Frontenacs, Leon Draisaitl of the Prince Albert Raiders, Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice and Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts begin a new season, they've already completed the NHL Central Scouting questionnaire.

One of the more intriguing parts of the questionnaire happens to be the section that requires each prospect to admit their strongest asset, weakest area and the NHL player they most resemble. The self-assessments, for the most part, are pretty accurate. They also provide the scouts with a gauge as to what type of player each prospect expects to become.

Here's a summary of what each of the top five North American prospects, top North American goalie and top European skater provided on their questionnaire, followed by an evaluation of that response by NHL Central Scouting.

Would you rather have Kane or MacKinnon? If Reinhardt projects to Mac you don't trade him for kane, regardless of what he says. I would suspect this is posturing to see what multiple 2s or a two and the Blues one would garner.

I don't see Murray trading our pick or the Islanders' pick if they decide not to defer. Personally, I'm hoping we draft #1, select Reinhart, the Islanders don't defer and we're able to draft Dal Colle at 4 or 5. Those 2 along with our top pick in 2015 should go a long way to us finally having a solid top 6 in a few years.

im completely with you

This is where the league has it wrong. They should have to decide on wether they want the pick or not before the lottery takes place. They give us their pick and we have two spots in the lotto. They don't and we get one this year but two next.

Why is that on the league? That could have been the deal, but it isn't.

I actually agree with this!

This is where I'm at on this as well

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.