Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

We're deep on defense but a big part of that is because of Myers. Trading him would reopen the defense for business.

I'll be tempted to trade Myers if a blockbuster deal comes along but I'm definitely hesitant because he's the one guy in the organization right now that can completely change this team. We're a totally different team when he's on his game and I mostly liked him this year. If he ever gets back to being the force of nature he was in his first year, we're suddenly most of the way back to the playoffs.

March 21 recap - late 1st / 2nd round prospects J2 Super Elite

Jonas Johansson G Brynas J20, 20-SOG 2-GA 2.01-GAA

Oskar Lindblom RW Bryans J20 3G 1A +1 in 5-2 victory over IF Malmö Redhawks

Bryans J20 win series 2-0 advance to Quarter Finals

Anton Karlsson RW Frölunda HC J20, 0G 1A in 4-2 loss to Örebro HK

Series tied 1-1

Adrian Kempe LW Modo J20, 0G 0A in 5-3 victory over Timrå IK

Modo win series 2-0 and advance to next round

Marcus Pettersson D Skellefteå AIK J20, 0G 0A in 3-2 victory over Djurgårdens IF

Skellefteå AIK win series 2-0 and advance to next round

March 21 recap - late 1st / 2nd round prospects Swedish Elite League

Kevin Fiala C HV71 - SEL - 0G 0A +1 in 2-1 double overtime victory over Skellefteå AIK

HV71 trail in series 3 games to 1

Jakub Vrana RW Linkoping, SEL - 0G 0A in 3-2 loss to Frölunda HC

Series tied 2 -2

No links?!?! No worries, I'll help you out

https://www.google.c...iw=1440&bih=799

https://www.linkedin.com/

https://www.google.c... links&tbm=isch

https://www.google.c...q=lynx&tbm=isch

https://www.google.c...=linux&tbm=isch

Edited by WildCard

And ofcourse dal colle snipes a beauty pp goal!

Dal colle with another. Gens up 5 0 and dal colle has 2 goals and 3 assists, he's playing way better the second and third so far. I want him to be a buffalo sabre.

Edited by Derrico

I'd rather keep Myers than trade him and draft Ekblad. I'd rather deal with the player we know than a player we don't. However if Edm offered us their 1st in 2014 and 2015 I might be tempted.

I don't get this obsession with trading Myers, I'd like us to have some competent players on our team next year..... I don't want us to be so bad that we break records.

I'd rather keep Myers than trade him and draft Ekblad. I'd rather deal with the player we know than a player we don't. However if Edm offered us their 1st in 2014 and 2015 I might be tempted.

I don't get this obsession with trading Myers, I'd like us to have some competent players on our team next year..... I don't want us to be so bad that we break records.

2015 is a whole different story. No way you get both. But if they offered their 2015 first then I'd strongly consider it, but I would wait until after the offseason if possible. See what they have first.

Wouldn't it make more sense to trade Myers in a deal for Eberle. Someone who would immediately upgrade the top six and really there is barely no difference in the cap hits between the two. To me that's a more likely scenario. Unless TMGM is in love with two of the Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl group. Trading Myers for Eberle and then taking one of those three and Ekblad...makes some sense possibly.

Wouldn't it make more sense to trade Myers in a deal for Eberle. Someone who would immediately upgrade the top six and really there is barely no difference in the cap hits between the two. To me that's a more likely scenario. Unless TMGM is in love with two of the Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl group. Trading Myers for Eberle and then taking one of those three and Ekblad...makes some sense possibly.

You need to get more for Tyler Myers than a smallish winger with talent. That would be a repetition of sins of the past. If this franchise is going to succeed they need to target top six forwards with size that play 200 ft of hockey.

Remember the goal is to build a championship team not fix the current roster. Eberle has talent and would be a upgrade over what the Sabres currently have. The question that needs to be answered here is Eberle a top six forward that can win battle against the other top forwards in the league when it comes to crunch time? I don't think Eberle is that type of player.

And ofcourse dal colle snipes a beauty pp goal!

Dal colle with another. Gens up 5 0 and dal colle has 2 goals and 3 assists, he's playing way better the second and third so far. I want him to be a buffalo sabre.

Dal Colle Shines on Night two of Playoffs

Michael Dal Colle scored two goals and three assists and Hunter Smith added a goal and four assists in the Generals big game one win over the Steelheads. Game two is Sunday at 6:05 in Oshawa. Game one highlights

You need to get more for Tyler Myers than a smallish winger with talent. That would be a repetition of sins of the past. If this franchise is going to succeed they need to target top six forwards with size that play 200 ft of hockey.

Remember the goal is to build a championship team not fix the current roster. Eberle has talent and would be a upgrade over what the Sabres currently have. The question that needs to be answered here is Eberle a top six forward that can win battle against the other top forwards in the league when it comes to crunch time? I don't think Eberle is that type of player.

Quality point. I think regardless of size though, talent is what this team needs. So whether he's 5'11" or 6'3", the team needs as much quality up top as possible. That was the basis essentially for my argument, but I can agree with what you're saying as well.

Not really interested in picking anyone up from that perpetual loserteam tbh :D

And if they want myers its starts with RNH or Hall, eberle just doesn't cut it.

Edited by Heimdall

Quality point. I think regardless of size though, talent is what this team needs. So whether he's 5'11" or 6'3", the team needs as much quality up top as possible. That was the basis essentially for my argument, but I can agree with what you're saying as well.

We have seen this team with one dimensional "top six" forwards in the recent past, I fully understand looking at this current roster and focusing on talent, I am hoping for a top six forward group that can compete with the best "top six" groups in the NHL. The best teams have "top six" forwards that bring much more than talent to the rink.

This franchise has been scraped down to the bone. As they rebuild I want everything. I want talent, size and grit and I want every player to bring those qualities. Is it realistic? Hell No! Now is the time to dream of what the final product of this rebuild can look like. I'm dreaming of a team that players on other teams dread playing against home or away.

March 21 recap - potential late 1st - early 2nd round prospects 2014 WHL

Brycen Martin D Swift Current, 0G 0A in 2-1 loss to Medicine Hat

Broncos trail series 1-0

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=62212

Chase De Leo C Portland, 0G 0A +1 in 4-3 victory over Vancouver

Winterhawks lead series 1-0

http://www.elitepros...p?player=116909

I'd be very squeamish about trading Myers. The game he's shown this year will be very hard to replace.

The kids we have coming aren't going to be top pairing guys for a while and Myers and Ehrhoff are needed to help them get there.

I think you are wrong on Eberle though. He's no Derek Roy. The kid has stones and a track record for scoring big goals.

Hall is the only better Oiler.

Edited by dudacek

We have seen this team with one dimensional "top six" forwards in the recent past, I fully understand looking at this current roster and focusing on talent, I am hoping for a top six forward group that can compete with the best "top six" groups in the NHL. The best teams have "top six" forwards that bring much more than talent to the rink.

This franchise has been scraped down to the bone. As they rebuild I want everything. I want talent, size and grit and I want every player to bring those qualities. Is it realistic? Hell No! Now is the time to dream of what the final product of this rebuild can look like. I'm dreaming of a team that players on other teams dread playing against home or away.

THIS.

This franchise has been scraped down to the bone. As they rebuild I want everything. I want talent, size and grit and I want every player to bring those qualities. Is it realistic? Hell No! Now is the time to dream of what the final product of this rebuild can look like.

Realistic? Probably not, but I think we're in a better position to accomplish that than most teams. With the draft selections and cap space available to us, we can pretty much hand pick our team for at least the next seven years. I think that's why we're reading articles that every GM in the league is jealous of Tim Murray's situation.

For as far as we've fallen, we dare not fail to dream big.

Realistic? Probably not, but I think we're in a better position to accomplish that than most teams. With the draft selections and cap space available to us, we can pretty much hand pick our team for at least the next seven years. I think that's why we're reading articles that every GM in the league is jealous of Tim Murray's situation.

For as far as we've fallen, we dare not fail to dream big.

Absolutely. I know it sucks right now, particularly for season ticket holders...but we really could have a great team for an extended period of time once we come out of this. Yes it's all based on a chance and some luck, but so is every other method of team building...I'd like to think those optimistic enough to think we could add pieces around the old core to compete can talk themselves into believing this rebuild will work :)

March 21 recap - potential late 1st - early 2nd round prospects 2014 OHL

Connor Chatham RW Plymouth, 1G 0a -1

Alex Peters D Plymouth 0G 0A

Alex Nedeljkovic G Plymouth, 4GA 34SVS

Whalers lose to Guelph 5-2. Plymouth behind in series 1-0

Eric Cornel C Peterborough, 0G 0A -2 in 4-1 loss to Kingston

Petes trail series 1-0

Robert Fabbri C Guelph, 0G 1A in win over Plymouth

Storm lead series 1-0

Josh Ho-Sang C Windsor, 0G 0A -2 in loss to London

Spitfires trail series 1-0

Spencer Watson RW Kingston, 0G 1A +1 in 4-1 win over Peterborough

Frontenacs lead series 1-0

Some pointless math:

The Sabres have guaranteed a top nine pick in this year's draft (can finish 8th at worst and then a lottery winner from 9-14 would push them to the 10th pick).

A regulation loss + a loss of any other manner guarantees a top six pick.

If the team finishes the season on a point-per-game pace then it would mean 4th overall at worst, but a point from Edmonton tonight would mean that Buffalo finishing on a PPG pace guarantees a top three pick.

Edmonton and Calgary play tonight. That means one of those two teams will get two points, but a three-point game would be nice. The tank is basically complete this season, and it's just about getting a few things to not go disastrously bad over the next week or so.

After tonight's game with Calgary, Edmonton plays nine straight opponents who are currently holding a playoff spot. Their last game is against a team fighting for one: Vancouver. So the fat lady hasn't started singing yet. They're 11 points ahead in 2nd.

Florida plays five of their last 12 games against teams currently in the playoffs, including today's game against the Kings. They play the Islanders and the Flames, though. They're 13 points ahead in 3rd.

New York only has two of their remaining 12 games against teams in the playoffs. They play Florida and us (in the last game of the season). They're 13 points ahead in 4th.

Calgary has twelve games left and half of them are against teams currently in the playoffs. They play Edmonton tonight and Florida later on. They're 15 points ahead in 5th.

For us: eight of the last 12 games are against teams in the playoffs. The Islanders are the only of the bottom-five teams left that we play.

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.