Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I don't remember seeing that stated publicly anywhere. There is a difference between accepting the results of a roster turnover and intentionally attempting to lose games. The former has been SOP since expansion beyond the original 6.

I don't have any quotes handy but team officials have been very blunt about what they intended to do.

Are Buffalo fans so trained to be miserable that we won't allow ourselves to have nice things? This hasn't been an issue for ten years, and now, right when we are actually going to benefit from it by getting a good player, we want to change it?!?! The lottery is fine. Hopefully after this year we wont even give a crap about the lottery anymore,… like most of the good teams don't,… because they are actually thinking about actual f#####g hockey games played in the month of May.

You've been around long enough to know this is far from the first time this topic has been discussed.

I don't have any quotes handy but team officials have been very blunt about what they intended to do.

I don't think they've been as blunt as you think they have. I think coming here and reading every tank other tank word tank as tank tank tank, may be skewing the message tank.

I don't think they've been as blunt as you think they have. I think coming here and reading every tank other tank word tank as tank tank tank, may be skewing the message tank.

One word: "Suffering."

Is there another example in the history of pro sports of a team actually telling their fans to expect "Suffering"?

One word: "Suffering."

Is there another example in the history of pro sports of a team actually telling their fans to expect "Suffering"?

The Colts pre Luck.

Talk of manipulating the roster for draft position as well.

Unless Zemgus, Myers et al are faking it, I don't think anyone is manipulating the roster. What we had wasn't good, what's left is worse. Again these are expected consequences of a turnover. Sitting a healthy Girgs or Myers would be more manipulative and I agree, less tolerable by the league.

Interview with the 1984 coach of the pittsburgh penguins.

Interviewed during the 2003-2004 season that, while they missed out on Ovi, helped secure Crosby.

This guy coached exactly one full NHL season, and he tanked it to perfection:

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/04088/292486.stm

Good read. But he even said they never intentionally told the players to lose. They accepted the result of a less than nhl quality roster....ahem.

I think it's almost exactly what is going on in buffalo. They brought this coach in to destroy the team. Much like we did with Rolston.

The players are not intentionally trying to lose, and neither is Nolan.

The brass may have made moves that put the players and coaches into a position where it is more difficult to win, but most of the players still want to win and earn their place in the NHL. Leino is probably an exception.

I am certain players like Enroth, Lieuwen, Deslauriers, Ennis, Conacher, Flynn, Ruhwedel, etc arent purposely throwing games.

Perfect night for the tank. We lost to Calgary, Edmonton won, Florida won, and the Islanders got drubbed. Florida is now 1 point behind the Island with a game in hand and Edmonton is 2 points behind the Island.

We're now 13 points back with 13 games left to play. If we go 8-4-1 and end up with 63 points, sportsclubstats predicts a 99 percent chance of finishing last.

I think Darcy said there would be suffering because he knew he was going to have to break up the current core that had valiently fought to a 7-12th place finish and early playoff exit for several years running and he couldn't continue to add one or two players through trades and free agency to that core and getting the same results since it just wasn't accomplishing the ultimate goal which is to win a cup. He started to stockpile picks and by many accounts throughout the league left the cupboards stocked with high end nhl prospects who need time to develop while making plans to trade away home grown talent who became fan favorites through all the years of futility. Players like Miller and Vanek eventually had to go because they would not commit to signing and had taken that stance for several years. No matter what Darcy was in a no win situation and changes needed to be made but in no way do I think the Sabres as an organization set out to tank for a generational pick such as McDavid or anybody else. The Sabres are also not the only team to trade away core players and rebuild through the draft, they had just become so adept at building a 7-12th place team that it became the status quo and led to many fans having unreasonable expectations that couldn't be met by the current core. Personally I think Tim Murray will build a winner with what he has to work with and his knowledge of the league unlike any team we as fans have ever had the chance to root for. Any talk of purposely tanking next year is just a buncha crap and I don't believe it for a minute. Lets Go Buffalo!!!

Edited by Bills12Sabres11

I would be shocked if Snow gives us his pick this year! I still think he tries to bring in as many UFA's as possible in the summer so that we don't pick in the top 10 next year .

As if Wang is going to let him toss around money.

Vanek and Moulson didn't want to be there.

Man this tank is getting embarrassing. We are so far behind 29th. I would be seriously shocked if we got the Isles pick this year. That said, don't just look at it by numbers. If the Isles think that they could draft a better prospect at number 10 next year compared to number 3/4 this year, they might do it.

In other news, I just discovered that Brendan Perlini was born like 30 mins from where I live. So I now hope we get him as well :P

I would be shocked if Snow gives us his pick this year! I still think he tries to bring in as many UFA's as possible in the summer so that we don't pick in the top 10 next year .

Anything short of first overall and I really hope we do get their 2015 pick. The thought of Snow and the Isles signing a bunch of UFA's based on Snow's proven track record of being inept, the owners proven track record of being cheap and nobody wanting to play there is comical. If you mean bring in as many UFA's as possible you mean maybe 1 middling player then sure. As others have said, this is an average UFA offseason and there is no draw to go to the Isles (especially if the cap goes up substantially and give better teams have more opportunity to be active this summer).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.