Fans are not buying tickets

PromoTheRobot

Please tell me you're being facetious.

In my entire life, I think I've sat lower than the 300 level maybe 5 times. And apparently I never caught the memo about what a horrible nightmarish experience it is up there.

Funny thing is, most of the stuff Sizzle listed I dislike. Waitress and enhanced menu options? I'm at a friggin hockey game, not a restaurant. Only thing I want to eat at a sporting event is a tray of nachos.

Funny thing is, most of the stuff Sizzle listed I dislike. Waitress and enhanced menu options? I'm at a friggin hockey game, not a restaurant. Only thing I want to eat at a sporting event is a tray of nachos.

Only thing I want to eat is beer! I'm eating before the game so I don't need to waste 2 hands with nachos. Beer and screaming at opposing players/refs/Drew Stafford. That's how I roll in the sticky floored, hard seated 300's with my fellow mouth breathers and unwashed masses.

Unless I'm with the family, then its a strict 1 beer policy, and I'll leave the game with my voice mostly intact.

The Chet & Muffy fans don't even have blades now.

They do, but they require at least 75 different varieties to choose from. And they must be installed by a professional, preferably an attractive female in a short skirt who recognizes her subordinate place in the world.

(sarcasm detector test is now complete)

???? You and 100 of your closest friends can sit together for the games I am talking about. The cheapest games of the year which are pretty much season ticket prices have 5 whole rows together in the 300's. $31 bucks baby.....for Sabres hockey....it's a steal? How come those 2,000 on the waiting list haven't scooped up those seats? I'm confused........

Hey Liberace! I am one of those 2000. Actually 947 or something (been on the list for 3 years), live in Rochester. Have you seen when those value games are played? Middle of the week. Yeah sign me up for that.

So your retort will be something like this, "Well you have signed up to buy those games as a season ticket holder?"

My reply, "Yeah my brother in law and I were going to split the games in half and the 10-15 games I don't go to will be sold on StubHub. Also the ones I can make a good buck on, Dallas, Chicago anything Canada would be sold to hopefully pay for those VALUE games on a Wednesday night."

This conversation just bugs me, it seems as Buffalo fans we have to find something to bitch about.

Hey Liberace! I am one of those 2000. Actually 947 or something (been on the list for 3 years), live in Rochester. Have you seen when those value games are played? Middle of the week. Yeah sign me up for that.

So your retort will be something like this, "Well you have signed up to buy those games as a season ticket holder?"

My reply, "Yeah my brother in law and I were going to split the games in half and the 10-15 games I don't go to will be sold on StubHub. Also the ones I can make a good buck on, Dallas, Chicago anything Canada would be sold to hopefully pay for those VALUE games on a Wednesday night."

This conversation just bugs me, it seems as Buffalo fans we have to find something to bitch about.

OK....so you want to make cash for games where the FNC gets a Canuck invasion and free-ride for a few others. So.......those few others would be the VALUE games. Why not pay the $30 for 5 or 10 games? You have just proven pretty much everyone's point here. 1) Nobody REALLY wants to go to a Sabres game except for a select few. 2) The secondary market is selling these season tickets which leads to 8-12 away game atmospheres a year. 3) Well....there's really no 3. I don't blame you.....I did the same thing in 2006-07. It just sucks that the fans are stuck with status quo because these guys sell season tickets. I figured by now people would get sick of taking $50-70 for 20 games of club seats......but I guess not yet.

I figured by now people would get sick of taking $50-70 for 20 games of club seats......but I guess not yet.

Never gonna happen with me. If that's all I could get for a game I am going and my seats are now split so out of my 21 games I will go to 15-17 of them and have already sold a Columbus game, Carolina and Phoenix at cost. But I sell the few games I am willing to get rid to friends at cost and they are great seats in the first row.

I certainly understand the feeling of fans right now. A guy four seats down from me didn't renew because he said he's not happy with the front office, the on ice product and the direction the team is going.

Some of my friends I have reached out with the games I am willing to give up have said basically the same thing. Nobody has said f you I don't want your Phoenix, Columbus or Nashville games whereas I would have!

I am wondering if this team shows some as I expect it to, some heart unlike last year that the worm will turn sooner than expected.

There are still plenty of seats available for tonight's game in Detroit, and not just single seats I'm talking rows in the lower bowl. Same thing in Pittsburgh for tomorrow's game against NJ. What crappy organ-eye-zations.

Interesting statement. Thanks for pointing it out....made me look into it. Pittsburgh is like Buffalo in that they cap season tickets. However, they do not offer value games. Looking at the Sabres value games, there are plenty of seats available at $31. There are between 1,000 and 1,700 tickets available to all value games. Comparing it to Pitt.....the Pens play Phoenix on a Tuesday in March. As of now there are 800 seats left. The cheapest seat available is $66. The Penguins sometimes run promotions to games and offer 30% off window price. That still puts the cheapest seat at $46, which has not been offered on this game as of yet. All of the lower bowl pricing in Pittsburgh is 60% higher than what Buffalo charges for a gold game. So where Buffalo has 1,700 tickets available from $31 to $118 in the clubs for value games.....Pitt charges between $66-119 in the upper deck, and $156-$264 in the lower bowl. For the opener tomorrow.......same price levels.....there are 200 seats in the upper deck available starting at $66, and 300 tickets in the lower bowl starting at $156 in Pitt. The Sabres have similar numbers in the upper deck for their opener, but just a scattered few in the lower levels. However let's look at next week. The Sabres have 1,300 upper deck seats available for Columbus, many at $31. 1,200 left for Minnesota and the former captain.....and 500 left for Tampa, which I stand corrected, 8 of the 9 value games have between 1,000-1,700 tickets left. Pittsburgh on the other hand plays Carolina on next Tuesday as well. They have 250 seats available in the upper deck starting at $75........and 500 seats starting at $136 in the lower bowl. In fairness to the Sabres, both teams cap season tickets at 16,000 but the Sabres have 300-500 extra capacity depending on what numbers you use. Pitt has a similar price variance between individual game and season ticket prices as the Sabres when it comes to "gold level" games.....but the Sabres offer 25% of the season at season ticket cost pretty much through value games. Many of the Pens season tickets are sold as half seasons where the Sabres don't do that. So that's my biggest question.....why not just get 5 games at $31 in a mini-pack and pick up the better chance at playoff tickets and other small benefits through the Sabres? Again...sorry for the run-on paragraph.

My point was simply what we are seeing with the Sabres is merely a symptom of a league wide problem, its happening in the NFL as well.

The NFL is not a valid comparison. The Sabres are nearly 85% sold out to season ticket holders. They have a hard time getting rid of 15% of inventory to the rest of the population. Teams in the NFL that have waiting lists for season tickets sellout their individual tickets to games in a matter of a few hours. The Bills for instance have 60% sold to season ticket holders, but sell out the first 3 games, then have between 10-15% remaining for their last 4 games. They have sold 25-40% of their inventory on individual games, and at the current point have sold 80% of their available individual game seats. The Sabres, while only looking at the value games which are priced almost at season ticket levels, have sold about 50% of their individual game inventory available. That is with a season ticket holder waiting list, while the Bills have no such luxury.

The actual demand for the entire Western New York population to see the Sabres live, is not overwhelming.

The actual demand for the entire Western New York population to see the Sabres live, is not overwhelming.

You're surprised that a team that most predictions put near the bottom of the league is having trouble selling tickets? I'll say this: if Buffalo wasn't the hockey market it is, they wouldn't be nearly as close to selling out as they are now.

Archived