The Captain

Doohickie

The team did nothing to embarrass Stafford. It's all on him. "Xavier, you can take this the right way or the wrong way, son; ladies' choice."

Understood. But for a guy that sulks and has confidence issues to begin with, how efficient of a decision is it to strip him and still rely on him as a top line player? Just take the F'r fishing and throw the body in the lake.....please!

Not a fan of this decision. It's not what I expected either but oh well. If they can roll it with thats fine.

I dont think this does anything to ensure they stay here either. Vanek will most certainly approach the nine million dollar mark and want five or six years and is gone at the deadline and Ott will want to stay here and will get overpaid at the same time.

Understood. But for a guy that sulks and has confidence issues to begin with, how efficient of a decision is it to strip him and still rely on him as a top line player? Just take the F'r fishing and throw the body in the lake.....please!

He neither sulks nor has confidence issues. He has effort issues.

It is not smart to rely upon him as a top line player no matter what letters are or are not on his sweater.

Someone has to be the contrarian on this, so I'll step forward.

Me no likely..

I wan't decisive decision making, aka, leadership from the bench boss to the ice.

If you can't/don't want to make a tough decision, split the baby.

If this was such a good thing to do, why aren't there 60 co-captains in the league.

Coward...

Me no likely..

I wan't decisive decision making, aka, leadership from the bench boss to the ice.

If this was such a good thing to do, why aren't there 60 co-captains in the league.

Coward...

IMO, anything other than the players voting is wrong. But the Sabres have used co-captains before, and the results were pretty damned good.

I don't like these particular choices, for reasons stated upthread, but oh well. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Maybe when Foligno and Armia are healthy they'll move stafford? :rollseyes:

Me no likely..

Coward...

The co-captain thing doesn't bother me at all, but I think the home/road thing is dumb.

It is a typical Sabres, Mich Ultra decision.......but at least they got the right guys. In all honesty, if you are going to water down the honor, there was a way to incorporate the young guys too and not embarrass Stafford. You could have said Vanek C at home with Ehrhoff and Hodgson A's, and Ott C on road with Weber and Stafford A's. This way when Vanek or Ott or Stafford move.....you have the chain of command in effect. I'm fine with this though....at least it's 3 guys.

Wait, you think Stafford should have kept an A? I'm not trying to flame here, but you might need to step back; you hate everything the Sabres do.

Well, giving him the A didn't do anything for his game, innit? Maybe some tough love is in order.

What's really in order is sending him packing, but as I've said many times before, no one is going to take his contract without demanding a sweetener from DR, and my guess is that DR hasn't been able to stomach the sweeteners that the market has demanded to this point.

It is not smart to rely upon him as a top line player no matter what letters are or are not on his sweater.

Boom!

I don't like any form of a rotating captaincy. My choice would have been #26 and #26 alone. All season. End of discussion. He's been here 10 years and deserves it.

Imagine The Red Wings rotating it around when Steve Yzerman was the Captain. How about Wayne Gretzky with the Oilers? See what I mean.

I don't like any form of a rotating captaincy. My choice would have been #26 and #26 alone. All season. End of discussion. He's been here 10 years and deserves it.

Imagine The Red Wings rotating it around when Steve Yzerman was the Captain. How about Wayne Gretzky with the Oilers? See what I mean.

I'm a little shocked they gave it to Vanek. I expect him yo be gone this time next year. I think we resign Ott for 1 year at the deadline. Vanek is no where near those two other players so shouldn't be mentioned with them. It would also have been nice if he remotely lived up to his contract :(

Messier was the captain of the Oilers.

I'm a little shocked they gave it to Vanek. I expect him yo be gone this time next year. I think we resign Ott for 1 year at the deadline. Vanek is no where near those two other players so shouldn't be mentioned with them. It would also have been nice if he remotely lived up to his contract :(

Ott isn't going to sign a 1-year extension under any circumstances.

Vanek is neither Yzerman or Gretzky...

As for decisiveness, wasn't there some season where lindy changed the captains every month or some sh!t? I'll take 2capts and co over a hippie love commune all season long.

Didn't like that either.. When no one stands out, single no one out. That's the message I take away from today...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.