All About Sabres Marketing, Branding, Promotions, P.R.

That Aud Smell

Sizzle, why are you trying to shame me? I'm not opposed to sick kids getting visits from Sabres.

Agreed. If I followed all of this properly then I believe the issue was the publicity they bring with the visit. It's not that they shouldn't do it or it doesn't have value it's that there's no need to make such a big deal about it.

Here's the thing. I think both are great. I think it's great if an athlete decides, on their own, to visit people or to do something else that picks people up. I also think it's great if they do it as part of an overall publicity event.

There are no losers here. In the end, people benefit. When it's done in the public eye some people may see the story and feel good for that child. When it's done privately that wouldn't happen. When it's done publicly someone may say, look at that guy, what an ego. When it's done privately that wouldn't happen.

Whatever... would you rather see a story about an athlete visiting children in a hospital or a story about an athlete shooting someone. I know which way I'm voting.

It would be a horrible world if people stopped doing good deeds because they thought they might feel too good afterward or benefit too much from it.

Exactly, every single good deed is done in order to get some sort of gain. Whether it is media attention, a tax benefit, or just the good feeling you get from helping someone out... there's always some level of personal gain.

Exactly, every single good deed is done in order to get some sort of gain. Whether it is media attention, a tax benefit, or just the good feeling you get from helping someone out... there's always some level of personal gain.

But why should those poor kids have to suffer being cheered up so that we the public can see it on the news and also be cheered up? Oh the horror!

Your entire argument revolves around the Sabres using hospital visits for evil. Sizzle soundly defeats you and all you can do is cry that he's shaming you? Good, you should be ashamed. Not everything in this world is an evil plot.

Evil? OK. It's interesting that no one can score points against my position without exaggerating what I'm saying.

At Halloween, PA gives candy ricin cigarettes to children!

There's a pretty big chasm between, "Wow, that felt good to help the little old lady across the street," and "We need more sponsorships from southern Ontario businesses, can we find any sick kids to put on camera?" wouldn't you say?

It would be a horrible world if people stopped doing good deeds because they thought they might feel too good afterward or benefit too much from it.

"People" aren't doing a good deed here. Unless Mitt Romney was right. That's the difference.

Edited by PASabreFan

A lot of this stuff, (media blitz, 3rd jersey, video series, etc,), is just under attack because the team has been so crappy and some fans are so fatigued by the empty promises that it is easy to take offense to some of this as slimeball marketing tapdancing to try and distract or inflate. Even going back to the "If I want to make money, I'll drill a well" comment....there have been a lot of mixed messages coming out of the franchise. Within 25 months of that comment, season ticket prices were up between 15-25%...all while the play on the ice has nosedived even further. It's that perfect storm that will get people raising eyebrows and finding things as disingenuous. I for one have seen plenty of Sabres on their own time, visit Roswell without any fanfare. Players, coaches, broadcasters. So while it is fair to question the motives on the business side given everything else we have been told and have seen, the people themselves doing the visiting are for the most part brightening days, and doing it out of their own goodwill. Don't hate the playa...hate the game.

Evil? OK. It's interesting that no one can score points against my position without exaggerating what I'm saying.

There's a pretty big chasm between, "Wow, that felt good to help the little old lady across the street," and "We need more sponsorships from southern Ontario businesses, can we find any sick kids to put on camera?" wouldn't you say?

"People" aren't doing a good deed here. Unless Mitt Romney was right. That's the difference.

You did kinda invoke the idea of evil when you compared them to a creepy guy in a van.

Since when is an athelete cheering up a sick kid not a good deed?

Edited by SwampD

If I remember correctly, the last time we had this discussion, someone chimed in who either had a kid or a family member who was on the receiving end of one of these hospital visits at some point. That right there is the only point of view on this whole subject that means anything in this discussion, that of the kids who are visited.

Exactly. Fine. So let some of the players drive up to southern Ontario some day, no press release, no cameras, no media coverage, and visit the kids. The kids won't get any less out of it that way — Mom and Dad can take the pics — and that's really the most important thing, right, the kids?

Exactly. Fine. So let some of the players drive up to southern Ontario some day, no press release, no cameras, no media coverage, and visit the kids. The kids won't get any less out of it that way — Mom and Dad can take the pics — and that's really the most important thing, right, the kids?

You're assuming these players don't already do this on their own time. As Drane just posted, they do.

You did kinda invoke the idea of evil when you compared them to a creepy guy in a van.

Since when is an athelete cheering up a sick kid not a good deed?

Oy. I should have known not to get into this again. It's all shrader's fault.

You're assuming these players don't already do this on their own time. As Drane just posted, they do.

He's not the first poster to point that out — I was.

A lot of this stuff, (media blitz, 3rd jersey, video series, etc,), is just under attack because the team has been so crappy and some fans are so fatigued by the empty promises that it is easy to take offense to some of this as slimeball marketing tapdancing to try and distract or inflate. Even going back to the "If I want to make money, I'll drill a well" comment....there have been a lot of mixed messages coming out of the franchise. Within 25 months of that comment, season ticket prices were up between 15-25%...all while the play on the ice has nosedived even further. It's that perfect storm that will get people raising eyebrows and finding things as disingenuous. I for one have seen plenty of Sabres on their own time, visit Roswell without any fanfare. Players, coaches, broadcasters. So while it is fair to question the motives on the business side given everything else we have been told and have seen, the people themselves doing the visiting are for the most part brightening days, and doing it out of their own goodwill. Don't hate the playa...hate the game.

I've never blamed the players for doing it. And I disagree — I hated this in 1999 and 2007 and every other time I'd see Sabres on the news making the rounds.

I've never blamed the players for doing it. And I disagree — I hated this in 1999 and 2007 and every other time I'd see Sabres on the news making the rounds.

I gotta admit, this is a wierd one. It's like getting mad at the bartender for being nice to me. I know that for the most part, they are only doing it to get a bigger tip, But I'll gladly pay a little extra to get served by someone not treating me like sh!t.

So corporations aren't allowed to do good things either?

What the hell are you even arguing?

Okay not to completely change the subject but it strikes me as interesting that the Sabres social media folks are dropping pics of Enroth but not pics of Miller. Coincidence? Sure could be but still when you have Ryan Miller as your GT and it is big news he is back, i figured you would have some pics of him today.

ps. I know he was in a photo shoot yesterday, just interesting that is all.

I gotta admit, this is a wierd one. It's like getting mad at the bartender for being nice to me. I know that for the most part, they are only doing it to get a bigger tip, But I'll gladly pay a little extra to get served by someone not treating me like sh!t.

This is a great analogy.

The pursuit of business is what's on trial here. The ultimate question is: are all business pursuits "bad"? IMHO, the obvious answer is no.

Business, by its definition, is "a usually commercial or mercantile activity engaged in as a means of livelihood". Because it relies upon others to survive, it is compromised at its core. Let's strip away the modern economy and the concept of trade. Let us return to the fields and woods to farm and hunt for ourselves for survival. If someone in the family falls ill, and no one has the skill to aid the sick person, they are doomed to die.

If the fields suffer a disease that attacks the vegetation, that year's crop is doomed. If the deer are over-hunted in an area, those who rely upon the deer in that area for meat, will most likely starve over the winter.

What then? There is no trade. There is no economy. People will die. And they will suffer long before they die.

Let's reintroduce an economy and trade. The Smith family lost its crop to disease, and the only deer Mr. Smith could kill was malnourished.

Mr. Smith could then, at least, trade his labor for food for his family. Maybe his wife can trade some blankets she made for more food. In fact, one of the blankets went to a family where a child is sick in bed, and needs the blanket to stay warm. The Smith family survives the winter thanks to business - but the compromise is that Mr. Smith has to leave his family every day to work in Mr. York's fields, and Mrs. Smith had to take advantage of a sick kid to move one of her blankets.

Compromises on ideals? Absolutely. But this system is far better than Mr. Smith going over to Mr. York's cabin in the middle of the night and slaughtering his family to steal food.

Okay not to completely change the subject but it strikes me as interesting that the Sabres social media folks are dropping pics of Enroth but not pics of Miller. Coincidence? Sure could be but still when you have Ryan Miller as your GT and it is big news he is back, i figured you would have some pics of him today. ps. I know he was in a photo shoot yesterday, just interesting that is all.

the introduction of a new subject is of course welcome. the same thing's going on at GR with the promo pieces -- the names being called (ehrhoff scoring with a hodgson screen) have clearly been carefully chosen by people on the business side (with presumed input from the hockey side?). anyway, there's an RJ call of a big enroth save in one of those ads but nothing about miller, as others have previously noted. these marketing plans get put together far in advance of their execution -- the franchise was clearly prepared to have a season without miller (and they don't appear to be changing tack now that he's here).

TimHortons_09A_slide.jpg

that. that is not real.

is that real?

Here's Johnny!

oh, well done.

And how is it that you are so aware of their motive to fry them over it?

Why were the Sabres in southern Ontario? Why didn't they visit a hospital in Wellsville?

Oh..it's real! It came from said tour of S. Ontario that is firing up the furnaces here.

That's last year, right? I know I've seen Ted's O face before.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.