All About Sabres Marketing, Branding, Promotions, P.R.

That Aud Smell

Oh man....you're already setting this up for a backfire. I love it. Just picture them coughing up the puck on a powerplay and giving up a breakaway goal......you turn to the side and mutter, "Blueprint."

i'm having a bit of fun for now. once they start playing, i think their motto/slogan/marketing campaign will fade from my memory. seriously.

if they're really stinkin' it up by the time march rolls around and if i've had a few, i will probably blurt out (loudly) a few BLUEPRINT!'s at the F'N Center. just to get my buddies laughing a bit.

i say that because: i am unconditional in wanting the team to succeed. i don't want my dislike for the marketing campaign to cloud how i am viewing or supporting the team. that's not the kind of fan i am.

Edited by That Aud Smell

i'm having a bit of fun for now. once they start playing, i think their motto/slogan/marketing campaign will fade from my memory. seriously.

if they're really stinkin' it up by the time march rolls around and if i've had a few, i will probably blurt out (loudly) a few BLUEPRINT!'s at the F'N Center. just to get my buddies laughing a bit.

i say that because: i am unconditional in wanting the team to succeed. i don't want my dislike for the marketing campaign to cloud how i am viewing or supporting the team. that's not the kind of fan i am.

Well, something needs to replace the old "hey Vanek! hit'm with your purse!" haha

check the team's twitter feed. foligno at the fort erie tim hortons on garrison; hodgson et al. up in st. cat's; alumni leading an event in nf, ontario.

has there always been such a concerted effort to court the team's (hockey) fans across the border?

in all events, i think it's good business.

#Blueprint

#RussBrandonsplaybook

The stuff up in Canada has been an annual thing in recent years leading up to training camp (not sure with the lockout last year). There was even a discussion on this board at one point where people were whining about the hospital visits.

especially because 26 may be gone by the time i take to such behavior. :cry:

Darcy today said that the trade market is dried up. No one is calling anyone. Also, he said that most all teams are checking out their younger guys at training camp and not thinking trades.

IMO, Vanek and/or Miller won't be in the talks until the trade deadline.

The stuff up in Canada has been an annual thing in recent years leading up to training camp (not sure with the lockout last year). There was even a discussion on this board at one point where people were whining about the hospital visits.

i thought that was the case. regrettable that people would complain about it (especially the hospital visits). for my own part, i quite like having sabre fans in southern ontario. we did a little staycation last year in NF, Ontario and hung around with a nice family from burlington. their older boys were both sabre fans because those are the games that dad takes them to every now and then.

if they're really stinkin' it up by the time march rolls around and if i've had a few, i will probably blurt out (loudly) a few BLUEPRINT!'s at the F'N Center.
Well, something needs to replace the old "hey Vanek! hit'm with your purse!" haha
especially because 26 may be gone by the time i take to such behavior.
Darcy IMO, Vanek and/or Miller won't be in the talks until the trade deadline.

that's what i was getting after.

Edited by That Aud Smell

People weren't whining. I was. And I wasn't whining, I was expressing my opinion that it's crass and disgusting to use sick kids to market your hockey team. It's a nuanced point. I can understand your failure to get it.

People weren't whining. I was. And I wasn't whining, I was expressing my opinion that it's crass and disgusting to use sick kids to market your hockey team. It's a nuanced point. I can understand your failure to get it.

Do you hold the same opinion about their visits to Children's and Roswell?

Seems to me that visits to the sick (especially kids) by local pro athletes are a tradition, almost customary.

And not for nothin': When Ontario-born players visit kids at a children's hospital or unit in St. Catharines or thereabouts, that's a much bigger feckin' deal to those kids than when some Russian-born player visits a sick kid in Nashville.

Do you hold the same opinion about their visits to Children's and Roswell?

Seems to me that visits to the sick (especially kids) by local pro athletes are a tradition, almost customary.

And not for nothin': When Ontario-born players visit kids at a children's hospital or unit in St. Catharines or thereabouts, that's a much bigger feckin' deal to those kids than when some Russian-born player visits a sick kid in Nashville.

Thanks for giving me the chance to flesh this out (one more time). I have no problem, zero zilch zippo, with individual professional athletes visiting hospitals, and plenty do for no other reason than it's a good thing to do. Nada. Why would I? It's great for all involved. When it slips into an organized team marketing event, I have a big problem with it. But, hey, that's our society. Sports teams all the way down to the high school level are doing this now. Marketers have no shame. I just passed a sign announcing "Eagles (Club) for Autism Awareness" — sponsored by Budweiser.

When it slips into an organized team marketing event, I have a big problem with it.

gotcha.

and i sorta remember the discussion that was had, now that you say that.

i understand your beef with it. but also bear in mind: there's an argument to be made that, in making it an organized team marketing event, the franchise and its stars are calling needed attention to a care-giving institution that needs people's support, providing the place with some salutary news coverage, etc.

gotcha.

and i sorta remember the discussion that was had, now that you say that.

i understand your beef with it. but also bear in mind: there's an argument to be made that, in making it an organized team marketing event, the franchise and its stars are calling needed attention to a care-giving institution that needs people's support, providing the place with some salutary news coverage, etc.

The guy in the white, unmarked cargo van has candy, too.

The guy in the white, unmarked cargo van has candy, too.

let me understand, then:

pedophiles in white vans who kidnap children by using candy as bait:children :: sports teams using visits to a children's hospital as a marketing opportunity:children's hospitals

or no?

Thanks for giving me the chance to flesh this out (one more time). I have no problem, zero zilch zippo, with individual professional athletes visiting hospitals, and plenty do for no other reason than it's a good thing to do. Nada. Why would I? It's great for all involved. When it slips into an organized team marketing event, I have a big problem with it. But, hey, that's our society. Sports teams all the way down to the high school level are doing this now. Marketers have no shame. I just passed a sign announcing "Eagles (Club) for Autism Awareness" — sponsored by Budweiser.

If you believe in rational choice theory, almost every act by almost every person is based upon self-interest.

let me understand, then:

pedophiles in white vans who kidnap children by using candy as bait:children :: sports teams using visits to a children's hospital as a marketing opportunity:children's hospitals

or no?

No, I think the hospitals know why they are getting in the van.

I have absolutely no problem with someone doing something good for the wrong reason (not even sure it is the wrong reason).

It sure beats someone doing something bad for the right reason.

Well, sure. No one's getting hurt here; visually exploited, maybe. I just find it unfortunate and unseemly that teams lower themselves to this level. Thankfully, a kid ends up enjoying some Skittles.

I think there's a better approach. Go in quietly without cameras, and no press releases. The team still gets word of mouth in the community.

Well, sure. No one's getting hurt here; visually exploited, maybe. I just find it unfortunate and unseemly that teams lower themselves to this level. Thankfully, a kid ends up enjoying some Skittles.

I think there's a better approach. Go in quietly without cameras, and no press releases. The team still gets word of mouth in the community.

You could view that just as negatively though. What if the "no cameras" approach was a deliberate attempt to create even more positive buzz by making it seem more sincere? Then you're left in the same place you are with arranging the cameras.

I completely disagree. Anytime someone does a good deed, there should be as many cameras and they should benefit as much as posible. I'm all for corporate pissing matches over who does the most good, even if it is for tax purposes. If it inspires more people to do the same, even better. Cuz the thing is, they don't have to do it all.

No, I think the hospitals know why they are getting in the van.

I see. Well, then. We need something other than creepy dudes in the white van with candy as out metaphor. Lemme think on it.

I'd be keen to hear what development officers at children's hospitals and the like think of that. Do they see value in high-profile athletes or celebrities coming in to the hospital and making a huge media splash? I'm betting they do.

Has anyone ever determined if that hospital invited the team and their cameras for that event? Could it very well be the the hospital came to the Sabres with the idea and not the other way around?

Although, frankly, I don't see where it matters one way or the other. Mutual benefit and all that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.