All About Sabres Marketing, Branding, Promotions, P.R.

That Aud Smell

Got it. So, anyone who calls anything a blue print needs to be a licensed professional, because to call something a blue print necessarily requires accredited professionalism with regard to the project being planned.

2vsrtzk.jpg

:w00t:

Petey and Hodgson were chilling with sick kids at a Niagara hospital the other day and someone took pictures. What self-congratulating thing did they call that?

I'm on a mobile, so pardon the unwieldy formatting.

You're losing traction in the debate by engaging in hyperbole and absurdism. I did not say that people who use the term need to be licensed professionals. I said that the term "blueprint" denotes and connotes something in the nature of a drawing or a plan that is fully and reasonably expected to deliver a known and knowable outcome. again, it's a shite metaphor for any hockey team touting its prospects and especially so for a team with such an uncertain future.

Your reference to "Petey" and "Hodger" (it's Hodger, eh?) and their photo op is non-sensical in this connection. That sort of stuff is non-hockey in nature -- community relations type stuff. It's good that they do it, but it's not going to help us win games or build a winner. (If you're going to say that that sort of stuff is in fact a part of the #Blueprint for building a winning hockey team, then please don't. Every single NHL team engages in those sorts of laudable activities -- it's not a difference maker.)

edit: i will point out that your #blueprint does, in fact, comprise a drawing that provides a clear plan for reliably delivering a certain outcome. if only assembling a hockey team were so easy.

edit 2: another thought on chz's point. from a metaphorical standpoint, chz got to talking about whether the *business plan* for that hotel (for which someone created a series of blueprints before it was built to spec) would work. that's a different issue. i think "business plans" are in fact more like creating a winning hockey team.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm on a mobile, so pardon the unwieldy formatting.

You're losing traction in the debate by engaging in hyperbole and absurdism. I did not say that people who use the term need to be licensed professionals. I said that the term "blueprint" denotes and connotes something in the nature of a drawing or a plan that is fully and reasonably expected to deliver a known and knowable outcome. again, it's a shite metaphor for any hockey team touting its prospects and especially so for a team with such an uncertain future.

Your reference to "Petey" and "Hodger" (it's Hodger, eh?) and their photo op is non-sensical in this connection. That sort of stuff is non-hockey in nature -- community relations type stuff. It's good that they do it, but it's not going to help us win games or build a winner. (If you're going to say that that sort of stuff is in fact a part of the #Blueprint for building a winning hockey team, then please don't. Every single NHL team engages in those sorts of laudable activities -- it's not a difference maker.)

edit: i will point out that your #blueprint does, in fact, comprise a drawing that provides a clear plan for reliably delivering a certain outcome. if only assembling a hockey team were so easy.

edit 2: another thought on chz's point. from a metaphorical standpoint, chz got to talking about whether the *business plan* for that hotel (for which someone created a series of blueprints before it was built to spec) would work. that's a different issue. i think "business plans" are in fact more like creating a winning hockey team.

Great post. Perhaps we can steer this thread back on track now?

And as metaphors go, it's a poor one. A #blueprint is something that is foolproof (or is supposed to be) because it's a document of a technical nature that, if followed, unfailingly leads to the correct result.

I said that the term "blueprint" denotes and connotes something in the nature of a drawing or a plan that is fully and reasonably expected to deliver a known and knowable outcome. again, it's a shite metaphor for any hockey team touting its prospects and especially so for a team with such an uncertain future.

Don't backpedal on your verbs. Your original statement is incorrect, and there's no way around it.

Your reference to "Petey" and "Hodger" (it's Hodger, eh?) and their photo op is non-sensical in this connection. That sort of stuff is non-hockey in nature -- community relations type stuff. It's good that they do it, but it's not going to help us win games or build a winner.

As is a series of videos of preseason interviews with players. (Ugh, I hope it's not Hodger, but knowing this team... Hodgsy? Blech.)

I'm not trying to be a dick with this nitpickery, but getting uppity over the use of a particular word used as the hashtag title of a video series...

You're losing traction in the debate by engaging in hyperbole and absurdism.

Anyways, what's up with marketing?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I'm with Aud on this one. Physics is just being argumentative. "I can draw blue print for a house that falls down…" Really?

I'm sure you have never heard the phrase "blueprint for success" either.

It's presumptive, prematurely self congratulatory, and annoying. But then again, aren't all hashtags annoying (in fact, I personally find the term hashtag beyond obnoxious).

I can't believe I commented on f####n Twitter.

[/size]

Don't backpedal on your verbs. Your original statement is incorrect, and there's no way around it.

As is a series of videos of preseason interviews with players. (Ugh, I hope it's not Hodger, but knowing this team... Hodgsy? Blech.)

I'm not trying to be a dick with this nitpickery, but getting uppity over the use of a particular word used as the hashtag title of a video series...

Anyways, what's up with marketing?

ho, ho - some cross-examination with support from a dictionary. good on ya. I'll stand pat with whaI i said. blueprints are, are supposed to be, foolproof, overwhelmingly predictive of a contemplated outcome, if they aren't they fail of their essential purpose, and the term denotes and connotes the same.

I'm a word guy. And the #blueprint branding on social media irks me. I accept that I may be in a small minority on that.

I suppose everyone would be happier if they came out and said they don't have a plan, or that they do, and its success is based mostly on luck. I honestly and truly don't understand how saying they have a plan is presumptive or self-congratulatory.

I'd be happieir if they were working a slogan that more properly reckoned with the task at hand.

you say they're only saying they have a plan. I'd say they're saying quite a bit more by using the word they are.

but, yeah -- moving on.

It's a frickin twitter hashtag fer cryin out loud. It's not supposed to be profound or anything.

fair deuce.

even at that, though, marketing/branding nowadays is more and more (and more (And more)) about social media. I think my irritation traces to the idea that #Blueprint got run up a flagpole and people saluted. Not sure it went as high as TB, but I wouldn't be surprised.

you want to know a stupid tag? #billsmafia lets talk about that atrocity. As for #Blueprint I don't care. They Sabres have been increasing the amount of extra things they do for the fans over the last couple years from Beyond Blue n Gold, to #blueprint stuff and I like the extras. Honestly they could call it #iguaranteethecup and I wouldn't care. But then again i ignore hashtags and really care more about content.

you want to know a stupid tag? #billsmafia lets talk about that atrocity. As for #Blueprint I don't care. They Sabres have been increasing the amount of extra things they do for the fans over the last couple years from Beyond Blue n Gold, to #blueprint stuff and I like the extras. Honestly they could call it #iguaranteethecup and I wouldn't care. But then again i ignore hashtags and really care more about content.

The thought of tweets and content makes me chuckle.

I'm with Aud on this one. Physics is just being argumentative. "I can draw blue print for a house that falls down…" Really?

I'm sure you have never heard the phrase "blueprint for success" either.

It's presumptive, prematurely self congratulatory, and annoying. But then again, aren't all hashtags annoying (in fact, I personally find the term hashtag beyond obnoxious).

I can't believe I commented on f####n Twitter.

Soon, you will be Tweeting. We all will be. #slipperyslope

more than fair.

one nit: #billsmafia was created by a group of tweeting fans and isn't, as far as i know, something that the team endorses in any way. but, yeah - blechk.

you raise a good point about the team doing more and different things - beyond blue and gold is just aces (and, yeah, it has its own thread (as it should)).

i saw a link about how the bruins host a "state of the bruins" event, where buffalo's own jeremy jacobs speaks as well as neely (and, i suspect, others).

BT1aGQiIYAAiUti.jpg

not sure now's the time for the sabres to roll that out, but it's an interesting idea.

i'd like to see them take a hack at a return of in-game goofiness via digital shorts. like warrener's corner (was that it?) meets fu man drew.

Soon, you will be Tweeting. We all will be. #slipperyslope

i have come to rely on twitter for a lot. i've created a list on my account called "newspapers" -- it's just tweet after tweet from a variety of (non paywall) news sources. little wonder actual newspapers are struggling to find their place among new media.

As we've all figured out by now, "Hockey Heaven" was a probably a bit presumptuous, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the ambition on and off the ice.

I still like the reach on that "hockey heaven" bit. It was clearly an aspirational attempt to shift (start to shift) the culture -- and was directed to the dark days of Black Sunday. I think they're still aspiring to it. (Are they still using it?)

FWIW, "hockey heaven" is fuzzy and diffuse on my slogan palate -- "blueprint" has a distinct and specific flavor.

EDIT: they're not pushing hockey heaven anymore. in fact, the franchise's new motto is ...

post-760-0-11882400-1378913020_thumb.png

Edited by That Aud Smell

Increasing extra things they do for the fans? A video series and a slogan? Have you forgotten their "thank you" to the fans after the lockout was reduced prices on overpriced merch?

This is pretty much a one-way relationship. We exist to do things for them.

Increasing extra things they do for the fans? A video series and a slogan? Have you forgotten their "thank you" to the fans after the lockout was reduced prices on overpriced merch?

This is pretty much a one-way relationship. We exist to do things for them.

so don't buy ######

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.