Vanek: ‘I didn’t ask to be traded’

papazoid

I hadn't really considered Flynn in the slot, but it could happen. His game is a lot like Pominville's.

i still can't find the link, but hamilton specifically said at the time of the trade that pominville's departure seemed tied to flynn's emergence and potential (potential) to play the same game as pominville, without a ton of drop-off.

- There is no doubt that Hossa has benefited from having much better teammates than Vanek has had, at least since Black Sunday.

occurs to me that, prior to black sunday, vanek played on a third line centered mostly by ... who? connolly? hecht? (i honestly can't remember.) so in addition to having better teammates, he also had worse opponents.

[/size]

i still can't find the link, but hamilton specifically said at the time of the trade that pominville's departure seemed tied to flynn's emergence and potential (potential) to play the same game as pominville, without a ton of drop-off.

[/size]

occurs to me that, prior to black sunday, vanek played on a third line centered mostly by ... who? connolly? hecht? (i honestly can't remember.) so in addition to having better teammates, he also had worse opponents.

Roy.

[/size]

[/size]

Roy.

Max Van Roy

Does anyone know the actual trade deadline date this season. I can't seem to find it and am guessing King Gary just hasn't even thought about it yet.

Really? You think that's the reason you can't find it?

Hey thanks for your help! You have a great day now. Oh wait, you didn't answer my question. Hope you have a lousy day and someone steals your lunch money instead.

Hey thanks for your help! You have a great day now. Oh wait, you didn't answer my question. Hope you have a lousy day and someone steals your lunch money instead.

The point is that either it hasn't been announced yet or it was announced and you were unable to find it. There is zero possibility that "King Gary hasn't thought about it yet." It was a waste of everyone's time to have to read that post.

briere ?

hmm. i'm not sure.

i feel like we did this a while back - reconstruct the lines from the 05-06 team.

drury-grier were a fixture together. sometimes roy skated with them. if not roy, then who? kotalik? pominville?

briere-dumont were also generally paired. i remember a lot of hecht with them. also some pominville?

was the third line a lot connolly at center with vanek and max on the wings?

mair/gaustad as the fourth line centers/wings with a good dose of paille?

man. that was a good roster.

Everything you and Sizzle (and others here, to be sure) are saying is plausible. I'm just saying that it's also quite plausible -- and is in fact consistent with his actions -- that he has never been particularly happy here and is going to bolt the first chance he gets.

As far as whether he can be blamed -- I kinda think some loyalty to the fans and franchise that has paid him over $50MM is in order. This isn't a Drury/Briere situation, where he's being lowballed and/or jerked around. Nor, despite what some may feel, is this a Mickey Mouse situation that anyone would want to GTFO of. It's a rebuilding situation, but it's a team with some good young talent, good goaltending (at least for now), deep-pocketed and committed ownership, great facilities and passionate fans who fill up the building.

(NB I'm assuming -- and this is admittedly a big assumption-- that TP is willing to give him as much as he'd get anywhere else.)

Right now I don't believe he has been offered anything so its hard to say what the Sabres are offering/going to offer. it is possible too and I'm not totally disagreeing that maybe he never wanted to be in Buffalo and does want out, He just seems like the kind of guy who doesn't rock the boat and is good with the situation he was given here. Now that he has his choice though, its given him options to see what else is available without having to be the bad guy by demanding a trade.

but as for the end of that paragraph, does having "good young talent" (we hope, none of its proven NHL talent though, and it may take some time for it to reach good NHL talent level) really appeal to a veteran player who is in his prime and maybe wants to be on a cup contender before he starts his decline? If Vanek was younger, or maybe had a cup or 2 under his belt it might interest him more seeing as how theres no rush to win a championship if he has one already. But for the last part, sure the fans may fill the seats, but alot of other cities do too. All we heard last year was how bad the atmosphere was, like a library in there, or large groups of other teams fans, etc.

The point is that either it hasn't been announced yet or it was announced and you were unable to find it. There is zero possibility that "King Gary hasn't thought about it yet." It was a waste of everyone's time to have to read that post.

If the bolded part were criteria to keep a post active around here this place would have less hits than Tim Connolly.

Really dude? This thread is partially about Vanek being moved at the deadline.

I also have a secondary interest in the question of the deadline date. Should I just start another thread only to be slapped around for starting that thread? Hmmmm, are you Bill Daly? Objecting to Gary being called King? Personally I don't like the little twitching chief of the NHL.

I was hoping maybe the league had a calendar of events like the NFL does that lists dates of important events. With the season upon us I was hoping that would have been known information at this point. But I'm sure Gare will get to it when he sees fit.

I'm asking a question on a message board in a related thread. Thanks for you help. Again.

Do you know somewhere I can save 15% on my car insurance as an aside though?

Really dude? This thread is partially about Vanek being moved at the deadline.I also have a secondary interest in the question of the deadline date. Should I just start another thread only to slapped around for stating that thread? Hmmmm are you Bill Daly? Objecting to Gary being called King? I'm asking a question on a message board in a related thread. Thanks for you help. Again.

Do you somewhere I can save 15% on my car insurance as an aside though?

Spoilers: it'll be some time in February. Until then, I don't much care. :)

Really dude? This thread is partially about Vanek being moved at the deadline.

I also have a secondary interest in the question of the deadline date. Should I just start another thread only to be slapped around for starting that thread? Hmmmm, are you Bill Daly? Objecting to Gary being called King? Personally I don't like the little twitching chief of the NHL.

I was hoping maybe the league had a calendar of events like the NFL does that lists dates of important events. With the season upon us I was hoping that would have been known information at this point. But I'm sure Gare will get to it when he sees fit.

I'm asking a question on a message board in a related thread. Thanks for you help. Again.

Do you know somewhere I can save 15% on my car insurance as an aside though?

Please. Don't call Flo. She needs to go.

Vanek:

September 5 2013

Summer is over and a new season is about to start. I’m back in Buffalo for about 2 weeks now and I’m really looking forward to the start of the season. We had some strong drafts in the last years and I’m really excited to see how the youngsters will do on the ice. Of course, we veterans are now also asked to step it up and lead those young players.

So, everybody wants to know how my future looks. As I said multiple times before, let’s wait and see. I really want to see our talents perform and what perspectives there are. My summer was pretty quiet and I could completely focus on my training. I never thought about a possible trade, simply because I have no say in this matter. I’m still very happy to live my dream and play in the NHL, that’s what counts most and will always stay that way. It’s going to be exciting to work together with Ron Rolston, who did a marvelous job, in my opinion, last season. Now he has the team for a full training camp and I think he has really deserved his chance as head coach.

Just a quick look into the future. I’m so looking forward to the Olympics in Sochi. That’s going to be such a great thing for our national team. That we even qualified was such a big surprise… But now we want more and show some good games in Russia. Until then it’s all about the Sabres. We want to prove to our critics that our team is not as bad as some want to make it out.

That's encouraging. I'm glad he's getting along with Rolston. At least he's open to seeing what's next, and hasn't gone into "get me the hell out of here" tantrum mode.

But his hesitation, although understandable, is also the worst possible thing for the Sabres from an asset mangement perspective. They need to know if they have to trade him or if he'll resign; the sooner, the better, otherwise his trade value diminishes. Hopefully he can figure things out before the regular season begins, or at least by game #20.

I don't think there is anything here beyond what Vanek is saying: if he likes the way this season goes and sees hope for the future, the door is open to re-sign. If not it will close.

The Sabres will trade him if they can't sign him, or if they see a better future in a trade.

It really is a wait and see.

That's encouraging. I'm glad he's getting along with Rolston. At least he's open to seeing what's next, and hasn't gone into "get me the hell out of here" tantrum mode.

But his hesitation, although understandable, is also the worst possible thing for the Sabres from an asset mangement perspective. They need to know if they have to trade him or if he'll resign; the sooner, the better, otherwise his trade value diminishes. Hopefully he can figure things out before the regular season begins, or at least by game #20.

I actually don't think it's a big deal because by the time the deadline rolls around it should be fairly evident which way the team, and thus Vanek, is trending.

<bump>

who centered vanek in 2005-2006 when roy skated on drury's wing?

(it's really bugging me.)

found this....

Buffalo's top line will consist of a cannon shot and two versatile centers. Ales Kotalik will join the tandem of Derek Roy and Chris Drury, who gelled during the Sabres playoff run.

Maxim Afinogenov will take JP Dumont's place, as Dumont departed for Nashville via free agency in the off-season, on a line with Daniel Briere and Jochen Hecht.

The third line manifested itself during preseason with three players who matriculated through the Sabres farm system. Jiri Novotny, who led the Amerks in scoring last season with 54 points in 66 games, will center Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville. (novotny only played 14 games, tim connoly played in 63).

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=437248

found this....

Buffalo's top line will consist of a cannon shot and two versatile centers. Ales Kotalik will join the tandem of Derek Roy and Chris Drury, who gelled during the Sabres playoff run.

Maxim Afinogenov will take JP Dumont's place, as Dumont departed for Nashville via free agency in the off-season, on a line with Daniel Briere and Jochen Hecht.

The third line manifested itself during preseason with three players who matriculated through the Sabres farm system. Jiri Novotny, who led the Amerks in scoring last season with 54 points in 66 games, will center Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville. (novotny only played 14 games, tim connoly played in 63).

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=437248

see that dont seem right cause i remember pommer playing with breire

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/11/report-sabres-willing-to-retain-part-of-vaneks-salary-in-trade/

goodbye Thomas............lol.... Cody , make note, less space, time and skill on the ice with you.. (you may want to press for only a 1-2 year bridge)

Interesting to see what OTT thinks..

Stafford and Miller must be thinking "why not me too"

Will the GM consider a trade to an eastern team?

Archived