Vanek: ‘I didn’t ask to be traded’

papazoid

The way you wrote it made it sound like "botton 4 in the conference (or league)".

Big difference

Well, then that's your problem not mine. I was just referencing the quote so folks knew which quote I was referring to. What, I have to find these things and post them explicitly so there are no misunderstandings? The quote was discussed on WGR yesterday and is around.

YES, BOTTOM FOUR IN THE PLAYOFFS. Still doesn't matter. He said they have to "HOPE" to make the bottom four. I think it's a pretty woeful comment.

Well, then that's your problem not mine. I was just referencing the quote so folks knew which quote I was referring to. What, I have to find these things and post them explicitly so there are no misunderstandings? The quote was discussed on WGR yesterday and is around.

YES, BOTTOM FOUR IN THE PLAYOFFS. Still doesn't matter. He said they have to "HOPE" to make the bottom four. I think it's a pretty woeful comment.

If you're referencing a quote it is your responsibility to post the entire quote. Basic forum etiquette.

So he is here because the Sabres actual value his play over the last few seasons and wanted him back to upgrade the defence?

Does seem a bit strange, innit?

OTOH, most coaches and GMs like veteran defensemen, and the Sabres' group is pretty green -- so a 1-year flyer on Hank, with the bonus of his prior good chemistry with Myers, isn't crazy.

I still think Tallinder is here as a placeholder that can be traded/waived if one of the rookies looks ready.

Also quite possible.

I don't think anyone is/has been saying he hates Buffalo

Everything he has said to this point though has more to do with him not wanting to stick around through a complete tear-down rebuild situation and is open to going to a new team when he become a FA.

He struggled to stay in the lineup in NJ and was a healthy scratch a bunch of times IIRC

They would have probably gotten the same out of just playing one of the rookies or signing another FA, instead they brought back another "blast from the past" whos only explanation fans had for bringing him back was that it can be a last ditch attempt to help reunite the spark he had with Myers.

Well, it's quite possible Vanek is just being PR-savvy. There is nothing to be gained for him to say that he doesn't like it here and is definitely going to UFA.

As for the only explanation the fans had for Tallinder's return: who cares what explanation the fans came up with?

NoActually it kind of does, cause if he was that highly coveted/valued, he would have been traded by now and there would have been constant attention/trade watches for him, remember when the Rick Nash trade watches?

Nash was traded in what, July? It was also public knowledge he requested the trade and the Jackets were actively trying to move him. Vanek hasn't requested a trade, and at best we know the Sabres were listening to offers, which is quite different than shopping him. The lack of a trade says nothing about Vanek's value. Frankly I'm in agreement with other who think the Sabres think they're pretty good and can convince Vanek to sign, so they're in no hurry to move him.

Nash was traded in what, July? It was also public knowledge he requested the trade and the Jackets were actively trying to move him. Vanek hasn't requested a trade, and at best we know the Sabres were listening to offers, which is quite different than shopping him. The lack of a trade says nothing about Vanek's value. Frankly I'm in agreement with other who think the Sabres think they're pretty good and can convince Vanek to sign, so they're in no hurry to move him.

At what cost? :blink:

Whats market rate next year

What's market rate for him next year with a cap increase? 9.5 x 5? :cry: Not for me thanks!

I have no idea what it will be (probably not 9.5 per, more 7-8 ish per is my guess), but why would a player sign for less than market as a ufa, especially one who is 29-30 years old and has 250+ goals in eight seasons ? :blink: Good thing for him you are not the GM huh? lol

I have no idea what it will be (probably not 9.5 per, more 7-8 ish per is my guess), but why would a player sign for less than market as a ufa, especially one who is 29-30 years old and has 250+ goals in eight seasons ? :blink: Good thing for him you are not the GM huh? lol

There is NFW Vanek gets $9MM per year.

Some idiot GM (Holmgren, Sather say hello) with a bump in the cap and expectations of another bump might just do something that incredibly stupid and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Or maybe some bottom dweller that dazzles Vaneks eyes with that kind of an offer? Florida maybe? I did say not for me thanks! :blink:

Some idiot GM (Holmgren, Sather say hello) with a bump in the cap and expectations of another bump might just do something that incredibly stupid and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Or maybe some bottom dweller that dazzles Vaneks eyes with that kind of an offer? Florida maybe? I did say not for me thanks! :blink:

the dollar has lost 25 % of its value in the last six years... so 25% of 7 is 1.4. 1.4 +7= 8.4 +/- ...thus my guess is 8 ish..assuming washington stops printing money at 98 billion a month...lol

So basically your original post was terribly misleading and you refused to make it not be that way because you're lazy? Got it.

Quick, name the last star player traded at the opening of training camp. The trade market being closed right now has nothing to do with how teams value Vanek.

Good ole' Grant Fuhr was traded at the beginning of the 91 training camp.

Mark Messier was traded at the very beginning of that regular season.

So basically your original post was terribly misleading and you refused to make it not be that way because you're lazy? Got it.

Good ole' Grant Fuhr was traded at the beginning of the 91 training camp.

Mark Messier was traded at the very beginning of that regular season.

Not but since the 05 lockout who has been traded? Let alone the new CBA. It changed how the league did business. I bet it will be November before anything outside of a minor trade even starts to get talked about.

Not but since the 05 lockout who has been traded? Let alone the new CBA. It changed how the league did business. I bet it will be November before anything outside of a minor trade even starts to get talked about.

Let's see what preseason injuries occur around the league before writing off any trade activity.

Let's see what preseason injuries occur around the league before writing off any trade activity.

Again there will not be a major trade in preseason or October . If anything happens it would be like 3rd liner for 3rd liner swap. Unless a team suffers multiple catastrophic injuries in preseason it will be quiet.

Does seem a bit strange, innit?

OTOH, most coaches and GMs like veteran defensemen, and the Sabres' group is pretty green -- so a 1-year flyer on Hank, with the bonus of his prior good chemistry with Myers, isn't crazy.

Also quite possible.

Well, it's quite possible Vanek is just being PR-savvy. There is nothing to be gained for him to say that he doesn't like it here and is definitely going to UFA.

As for the only explanation the fans had for Tallinder's return: who cares what explanation the fans came up with?

Yeah, I would have expected them to pick up a veteran D-man to replace Lydman and Regher, but there were plenty of others available that would have been much bigger upgrades over a guy who was losing icetime in jersey, but weren't Sabres previously. It would make sense that they bring him back and pair him back up with Tyler to try and spark him again. But removing that from the equation, it makes no sense bringing him back. its another "feel good/get the old band back together" move

Yeah, I would have expected them to pick up a veteran D-man to replace Lydman and Regher, but there were plenty of others available that would have been much bigger upgrades over a guy who was losing icetime in jersey, but weren't Sabres previously. It would make sense that they bring him back and pair him back up with Tyler to try and spark him again. But removing that from the equation, it makes no sense bringing him back. its another "feel good/get the old band back together" move

I think this has Pegulas fingers all over it. You know the meddling owner telling the gm what to do who to sign for how long etc etc etc I'm surprised we didn't ship Enroth out to accommodate Hasek! :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived