All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

Went to game with $10 discount tix. Lots of giveaways. Mini poster with player pictures. Four goalies! The players who weren't playing were in lobby signing autographs. Some of them looked like high school kids. Justin Kea looks like a basketball player, thin but very tall.

There were balloons dropped and they all had prize coupons inside. I got a hotdog, popcorn, and autographed puck. The guy next to me was visiting from New Jersey and got a $100 Tim Hortons gift card. He asked, what's Tim Hortons? Don't have many in NJ.

Was impressed with Amerks work until they got big lead and let off the pedal in 3rd. There were a few times I was sure Syracuse was going to score, but Makarov somehow made a scrambling save.

Amerks rip Syracuse in front of big crowd

Kevin Oklobzija, ROC April 19, 2014

The arrival of Tim Schaller as an effective, contributing member of the Rochester Americans has been a work in progress, to be sure.

When the Buffalo Sabres organization signed him out of Providence College to a free agent contract last spring, they believed he could grow into a solid power forward.

They envisioned a him using his 6-foot-2, 213-pound frame and good skating to bowl over opponents, to kill penalties, to be a hounding forechecker, to lean on more skilled players in the defensive zone and, at times, to create a few goals.

As the American Hockey League regular season comes to a close Saturday, Schaller is now that player for the Amerks, as he showed again in Friday's 5-1 victory over the Syracuse Crunch.

@kevinoDandC

The #Amerks still don't know their first-round opponent, but it appears Games 1 and 2 are in the #ROC on April 25-26: http://on.rocne.ws/1jSsntA

Went to game with $10 discount tix. Lots of giveaways. Mini poster with player pictures. Four goalies! The players who weren't playing were in lobby signing autographs. Some of them looked like high school kids. Justin Kea looks like a basketball player, thin but very tall.

There were balloons dropped and they all had prize coupons inside. I got a hotdog, popcorn, and autographed puck. The guy next to me was visiting from New Jersey and got a $100 Tim Hortons gift card. He asked, what's Tim Hortons? Don't have many in NJ.

Was impressed with Amerks work until they got big lead and let off the pedal in 3rd. There were a few times I was sure Syracuse was going to score, but Makarov somehow made a scrambling save.

The giveways were great to see. I loved the tempo of the pressure from the Amerks offense. High intensity. The Crunch seriously started to get manhandled and threw some cheap shots. The one against Catenacci against the wall which led to the Petrecki fight was ridiculous. If Luke Adam could play like that at the NHL level....sigh. It sucks for him, he works his tail off from what I've seen. Ristolainen looked impressive, as was Ruhwedel with his movement of the puck. Makarov who is my favorite goalie prospect (I've seen in the system)...until Ullmark comes in.

Amerks win home finale, prepare prospects for playoffs

@matthewwgr Reporting

Matthew Coller

The playoff schedule is not set yet for the Rochester Americans, but when the do take the ice in post-season play, they will be a group stacked with players who could impact the future.

On Friday night, in a 5-1 blowout win over the Syracuse Crunch, the Amerks looked like full-strength team that could be very dangerous in the playoffs. Just as general manager Tim Murray planned, the Amerks will provide their young players experience and a chance to play big games along side strong veteran leaders like Kevin Porter, Colton Gillies and Mike Zigomanis.

Mikhail Grigorenko has played a sound game since being assigned to the Americans. He registered three shots on goal on Friday night and – more importantly – continued his solid defensive play. In the third period, he knocked a puck loose on a backcheck to create a 2-on-1 rush. The former Sabres top pick missed the shot just wide on the short side.

“The thing that I am most happy with is his consistency,” Cassidy said. “He's had one game where I didn't think he was as good as he needed to be but every other game he has been pretty good. He has been around the puck all the time, not a lot of shortcuts and very detailed.”

we should look at Hayes in any case

WHO? Aren't Jimmy and Kevin both property of other teams already?

My last name is "Hayes," I would love to have someone on the Amerks/Sabres with the last name "Hayes!" lol.

I'm really starting to like Deslauriers and Schaller...and Makarov looks like a mini "Dominator" to me sometimes.

Edited by Bob Malooga

WHO? Aren't Jimmy and Kevin both property of other teams already?

My last name is "Hayes," I would love to have someone on the Amerks/Sabres with the last name "Hayes!" lol.

Kevin Hayes will be a free agent in August. He doesn't plan on staying with Chicago.

AMERKS WILL PLAY CHICAGO WOLVES IN FIRST ROUND OF 2014 CALDER CUP PLAYOFFS

Games 1 and 2 of the series will take place in Rochester

The Rochester Americans will play the Chicago Wolves in the first round of the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs. The first two games of the best-of-five series will take place in Rochester at The Blue Cross Arena. Game 1 is scheduled for Friday, April 25, while Game 2 is scheduled for Saturday, April 26. Both games will start at 7:05 p.m.

Below is the full schedule for the best-of-five Western Conference Quarterfinal Series between the seventh-seeded Amerks and second-seeded Wolves:

Game 1 – Friday, April 25 – Chicago at Rochester, 7:05 p.m. ET (The Blue Cross Arena)

Game 2 – Saturday, April 26 – Chicago at Rochester, 7:05 p.m. ET (The Blue Cross Arena)

Game 3 – Thursday, May 1 – Rochester at Chicago, 8:00 p.m. ET (Allstate Arena)

*Game 4 – Friday, May 2 – Rochester at Chicago, 8:30 p.m. ET (Allstate Arena)

*Game 5 – Sunday, May 4 – Rochester at Chicago, 4:00 p.m. ET (Allstate Arena)

*if necessary

AMERKS WILL PLAY CHICAGO WOLVES IN FIRST ROUND OF 2014 CALDER CUP PLAYOFFS

Games 1 and 2 of the series will take place in Rochester

The Rochester Americans will play the Chicago Wolves in the first round of the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs. The first two games of the best-of-five series will take place in Rochester at The Blue Cross Arena. Game 1 is scheduled for Friday, April 25, while Game 2 is scheduled for Saturday, April 26. Both games will start at 7:05 p.m.

Below is the full schedule for the best-of-five Western Conference Quarterfinal Series between the seventh-seeded Amerks and second-seeded Wolves:

Game 1 – Friday, April 25 – Chicago at Rochester, 7:05 p.m. ET (The Blue Cross Arena)

Game 2 – Saturday, April 26 – Chicago at Rochester, 7:05 p.m. ET (The Blue Cross Arena)

Game 3 – Thursday, May 1 – Rochester at Chicago, 8:00 p.m. ET (Allstate Arena)

*Game 4 – Friday, May 2 – Rochester at Chicago, 8:30 p.m. ET (Allstate Arena)

*Game 5 – Sunday, May 4 – Rochester at Chicago, 4:00 p.m. ET (Allstate Arena)

*if necessary

WTF kind of schedule is that...... Friday, Saturday then wait until the following Thursday? Are the AHL schedule people drunk or something?

WTF kind of schedule is that...... Friday, Saturday then wait until the following Thursday? Are the AHL schedule people drunk or something?

AHL teams rely on weekend revenue, and travel is costly (thus the 2-3 schedule). Also, the schedule people are drunk.

Kevin Hayes will be a free agent in August. He doesn't plan on staying with Chicago.

Thanks for clarifying, that is certainly interesting...a big, right handed center (which we kind of lack).

I'd love for Buffalo to bring him in, even to just see if he has anything to offer them...wouldn't hurt.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kevin_hayes/

*He is rated (7.0-C) pretty much equally with most of our higher-rated prospects.

I did find this though...

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4679317/qa-with-hawks-prospect-kevin-hayes

"Do you know what your plan is going forward with the Blackhawks?"

KH: Pretty sure I’ll be signing once the season’s over. We’ll take it from there.

Edited by Bob Malooga

@kevinoDandC

#Amerks main practice group has 14 forwards, 8 D-men and 2 goalies. Very much the usual suspects.

It would appear Kevin Sundher and Freddy Roy are the extra forwards, though not doing line rushes yet.

#Amerks lines:

Larsson-Varone-Hutchings

Deslauriers-Porter-Armia

Gillies-Schaller-Irwin

Catenacci-Grigorenko-Adam

#Amerks D-pairings:

Petrecki-Ruhwedel

Pysyk-Ristolainen

Crawford-MacKenzie

Gauthier-Leduc /Tuzzolino

#Amerks RW Jamie Tardif (lower body injury) skating with extras. Likely won't play the weekend in Games 1 and 2.

#Amerks RW Mike Zigomanis skated earlier on his own. Coach Chadd Cassidy said progress is "a little slower than we thought."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So do we know what happened with Carrier?

I was curious about this earlier today, and saw a tweet response from Kevin oklabijiza- something or other saying that he wasn't at practice and still has a nagging lower ankle injury, and probably wouldn't crack the lineup regardless. This is my one under the radar prospects I have a decent feeling about I think he can surprise

I was curious about this earlier today, and saw a tweet response from Kevin oklabijiza- something or other saying that he wasn't at practice and still has a nagging lower ankle injury, and probably wouldn't crack the lineup regardless. This is my one under the radar prospects I have a decent feeling about I think he can surprise

Thanks. Kinda surprising that he wouldn't crack the lineup if healthy -- it's not like the Amerks are overflowing with good forwards.

@kevinoDandC

From our columnist, @leoroth: despite endless roster turmoil, #Amerks persevered and grew under coach Chadd Cassidy. http://www.democrata...inched/8041159/

Sabres prospect Mikhail Grigorenko thriving with AHL Amerks

Bill Hoppe, Olean Times Herald

Finally, almost two years after the Buffalo Sabres drafted him 12th overall, center Mikhail Grigorenko has landed in the AHL.

Just weeks before his 20th birthday, the prospect too good for junior but too green for the NHL has settled in nicely with the Americans.

The Amerks closed the regular season 7-1-1 with Grigorenko, who recorded his four assists in his first three appearances.

But numbers aren’t important right now.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Thanks. Kinda surprising that he wouldn't crack the lineup if healthy -- it's not like the Amerks are overflowing with good forwards.

He'd have to go in over Catenacci or one of the role guys who have worked their ###### off to get where they are and are contributing extensively as a checking line.

He'd have to go in over Catenacci or one of the role guys who have worked their ###### off to get where they are and are contributing extensively as a checking line.

I wouldn't read too much into Carrier sitting (or Justin Kea either)

Healthy Amerks actually have a lot of depth up front.

Role players like Irwin, Schaller and Gillies have been playing really well.

And I think the organization (or maybe it's just me) would rather see what Larsson, Armia and Grigorenko and Catenacci have.

Porter, Adam, Zigomanis, Tardif and Varone are going to play if healthy.

That's 12 and puts him in group of Black Aces with guys like Sundher and Roy and Hutchings.

It's not an easy lineup for an untested rookie with no AHL experience to crack in the playoffs.

I'd really like to see this group come together for a run.

If you subtract the nine-game debacle when the Sabres stripped the team, they've won a lot of games in the past few months.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.