All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

With the contract limit. Sabres will have to trim somewhere, especially if they want to start tendering youngsters with all those picks.

They've had five goalies under contract all year. I don't think there will be any reason to change that. But if they do want to drop one, Knapp's contract is also up. He's only two months younger than Hackett and makes about 100k less. If they decide to drop one, I don't see any reason to keep Knapp.

Larsson fought last night. Thought it was noteworthy. He's not a good fighter but willingness means something. Not being scared of getting punched in the face has more merit than one might think.

He's got heart, but he is not a very good hockey player.

4/12 - Amerks win fifth straight in shootout:

The Rochester Americans overcame an early deficit and withstood the home team’s late-game rally to earn a 4-3 shootout win over the North Division rival Hamilton Bulldogs Saturday at the FirstOntario Centre. The win extends Rochester’s win streak to five straight games and keeps the Amerks in sole possession of seventh place in the Western Conference with just four games left in the 2013-14 regular season.

Brayden Irwin (1+1) and Tim Schaller (0+2) each finished with two-point nights, while Colton Gillies and Kevin Porter also found the back of the net in the win for Rochester, which improved to 35-27-6-4 on the season. Rookie goaltender Andrey Makarov made his eighth straight start in net for the Amerks and stopped 35 of 38 shots he faced to notch his fifth straight win. Phil Varone, Joel Armia and Porter scored on three straight attempts in the shootout-sweep for the Amerks and Makarov stopped all three Hamilton shooters in his first AHL shootout action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yHtJ-uDr7Zg

@AmerksHockey

Roster Moves: The #Amerks have signed goalie Mark Guggenberger (Gwinnett, ECHL) to a PTO. The #Sabres recalled Pysyk, Deslauriers & Makarov

@kevinoDandC

I'm guessing the #Amerks new goalie, Mark Guggenberger, makes his AHL debut today in Cleveland. Now in the O-zone: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/hockeyozone/2014/04/13/amerks-add-goalie/7669913/

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No goals for Grigo yet, that's a bummer

He had a couple close calls last night.

He's not been a standout in the two games, I've seen, but he's pretty good out there.

Much more involved in battles and that "wait for it" mentality that was so frustrating in Buffalo isn't nearly so evident.

His hands are easily the best on the team. Made a sweet no-look world-class pass into the slot while charging around the back of the net that Armia totally whiffed on.

He's playing where he should be right now and could be an AHL first- liner next season

I think he gets a decent look in Buffalo partway throughout next season and should be up here to stay the year after.

He doesn't have "jump off the ice" talent but he seems to do a lot of things at an above average level. I think he'll make a decent third line player in the NHL.

Exactly. He's definitely a NHL talent. Like you said, he's not a guy who will blow up the scoreboard, but is very useful in puck possession and fighting/winning pucks in the dirty areas, such as the corners. And he's an above average defensive forward. I think he's almost a lock to center the 3rd or 4th line next season in Buffalo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.