The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

We normally have a full squad (4 or 5 D, 6 or 8 F) but this is our third 1045 game in a row and the wussin out. Right now we only have one sub.

Man, if we have 10 we're lucky. I get around 35 minutes of ice per game. 3 rotating D is awesome!

Yeah, ten is perfect.

6,... Not so much.

Go Sabres!!!!

Yeah, 6 is no bueno. We would probably steal a couple from the other team. Everyone makes the playoffs in our leagues and we've all played together for a while so its pretty chill. Ya know until someone gets pissy, then its chippy and the real fun starts.

Yeah, 6 is no bueno. We would probably steal a couple from the other team. Everyone makes the playoffs in our leagues and we've all played together for a while so its pretty chill. Ya know until someone gets pissy, then its chippy and the real fun starts.

We ended up with 8, which still sucks, but at least would have been better than 6, only, 2 of the fill-ins decided that they like to skate angry and were in the box all night. Really? With a short bench you dumb- are going to make us skate shorthanded all night?!

We ended up with 8, which still sucks, but at least would have been better than 6, only, 2 of the fill-ins decided that they like to skate angry and were in the box all night. Really? With a short bench you dumb-###### are going to make us skate shorthanded all night?!

Haha, man. Some people suck. Our refs eat the whistles. It has to be reallllly bad to get called.

Got up super early and joined the November Project's 6am skate at Canalside today. First time skating there! 

Anyone else do November Project stuff? 

It's a year round thing and free- you show up at the event (usually the stairs at the Albright Knox) and some sort of fitness dealio goes down. You don't have to be fit at all- I had thought it was all like super marathoner types- nope. All ages and sizes and levels of fitness.

Today we skated for 30 minutes straight- 22 laps of the rink is a 5k I think. I definitely did more than that and was totally gassed. Went with a couple of friends (one of whom had never skated before), skated in 6 degree weather, and now I'm all chipper and it's weird. I hate mornings... 

Got up super early and joined the November Project's 6am skate at Canalside today. First time skating there! 

Anyone else do November Project stuff? 

It's a year round thing and free- you show up at the event (usually the stairs at the Albright Knox) and some sort of fitness dealio goes down. You don't have to be fit at all- I had thought it was all like super marathoner types- nope. All ages and sizes and levels of fitness.

Today we skated for 30 minutes straight- 22 laps of the rink is a 5k I think. I definitely did more than that and was totally gassed. Went with a couple of friends (one of whom had never skated before), skated in 6 degree weather, and now I'm all chipper and it's weird. I hate mornings...

That's OK. If it's really bothering you, just call one of your clients. Pretty sure that can remove that "chipper" feeling in a hurry. :p

That's OK. If it's really bothering you, just call one of your clients. Pretty sure that can remove that "chipper" feeling in a hurry. :P

haha I've got a bank account that has a more immediate downer effect! 

I support this. Send Mark 100 texts. 

No

because he'd reply with 15 for each one I sent

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first day skiing. Back on the mountain for the first time in 8 years. I didn't realize how much I actually missed it. Skiing has always been my most beloved sporting activity and after being on the snow for about 6 seconds I remembered why. God, I love the feeling. Stomped a 540 for the kids in the park on my last run. Ok, it was more for me, but they thought it was cool. :)

• 1 month later...

When I "launched" my "running" "career" in "2015"... I mean 2015, I stumbled upon a controversy in the running world. When are you running and when are you jogging?

The debate is surprisingly nuanced. Some people think it's merely how fast you are traveling — the pace at which you become a jogger is said to be in the neighborhood of a 10-minute mile. Others are more subjective, saying it's more about your mindset, your purpose, the effort you are putting into it, maybe if you have a specific goal in mind — so if you're just out there "taking it easy" the analogy might be jogging: running as strolling: walking.

I bought into the objective definition. I was a runner because I could do 3.1 miles in about 29 minutes. Lately, it's been taking me over 30 minutes as I try to lengthen my distance a little, so I've been jogging. Effort, to my mind, had nothing to do with it. If you're slow, you're jogging. If you're fast/er, you're running.

May I introduce you to Hurricane Hawkins? This amazing 101-year-old woman ran a 100 meter sprint at just under an 11-minute mile pace, a world record for her age. No one could possibly say she was jogging!

Maybe it's more about how much of your potential energy you are using. She looks to be using about all she has. She's running for sure.

I avoid the controversy altogether by neither jogging nor running But that’s an awesome video and interesting debate over the definition.

It is. These fit, lean guy and gal gazelles fly past me, and they are barely expending any energy. If it's easy for them, are they running?

It is. These fit, lean guy and gal gazelles fly past me, and they are barely expending any energy. If it's easy for them, are they running?

Just because it looks easy, doesn't make it easy. Usain Bolt's heart rate probably hits 190 in the 9 seconds that it takes him to run the 100. It's probably back down in the 60s after about 2 or 3 minutes. He never looks like he's working hard.

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday I did my first public performance! We performed at the Ugly Disco in Rochester- a big drunken bash full of wasted middle aged people in shiny polyester and wigs that raised money for Golisano Children's Hospital.

Here's a few shots of me as a bright lisa frank cocaine fantasy 

hh6GtMg.jpgdmyoD9u.jpg

tntvwvK.jpg

58THyM1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, I missed those pics back in April. Really neat!!

Came here to post that I bought my wife a bike for her birthday. The pup also got her a birthday present- a doggy trailer to tow behind my bike so she can join us on rides. It’ll obviously be more recreational than hardcore fitness, but hey, I broke a sweat the first time we used it :P

Edited by EichSnipe

Yesterday evening I went on a 26 mile dinner (and ice cream) ride.  This morning I led the breakfast ride for 29 miles.  Then I mowed the lawn, and now I'm clearing some space in the garden and planting the things I got the wife for Mothers Day. 

Oh, it was in the 90s today.

You could say I broke a sweat.

My new job is easily within biking distance from my house. I've gotta get a bike up and running so I can start doing that on nice days.

How far?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.