The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone else here does November Project.

Been trying to go a bit more regularly, get some cardio back in my life.

For those who're going "november what?" it's a free workout- a lot of cities have it. You show up, 6 am, they have a workout planned for 30 minutes, you go home. In Buffalo we usually meet at Hoyt Lake/Albright Knox stairs. Today we ran the stairs for awhile, ran to where they do Shakespeare in the park, and ran up and down the hill with a different workout (jump squats, mountain climbers, etc.) at the top each time. 

Believe it or not, it's actually a lot of fun. I have a friend who suffers with me- we take our time when we start to feel beat up. Lots of levels of fitness there- older folks, heavy folks, a mom and her kid, all the way to ironman competitors and pro marathoners. A couple of my coworkers do it so i joined in. 

Haven't thrown up yet- though I get close. I have 0 cardio haha 

1 hour ago, josie said:

Not sure if anyone else here does November Project.

Been trying to go a bit more regularly, get some cardio back in my life.

For those who're going "november what?" it's a free workout- a lot of cities have it. You show up, 6 am, they have a workout planned for 30 minutes, you go home. In Buffalo we usually meet at Hoyt Lake/Albright Knox stairs. Today we ran the stairs for awhile, ran to where they do Shakespeare in the park, and ran up and down the hill with a different workout (jump squats, mountain climbers, etc.) at the top each time. 

Believe it or not, it's actually a lot of fun. I have a friend who suffers with me- we take our time when we start to feel beat up. Lots of levels of fitness there- older folks, heavy folks, a mom and her kid, all the way to ironman competitors and pro marathoners. A couple of my coworkers do it so i joined in. 

Haven't thrown up yet- though I get close. I have 0 cardio haha 

Got to start somewhere.  Started working out again last March 3 days a week plus hockey 1 or 2 days a week.  Cardio, run a mile and half now in 9 min, long way from the 5 min miles I did in high school, or elliptical 1 mile incline at 11 in just over 10 min, then 20-30 min weights.  Been working on the over 50 belly fat and trying to get strength back.  Keep it going.

Edited by North Buffalo

Oh yeah, I finally uploaded a performance I did a couple months back if anyone's interested- I did hoop and trapeze to Danger Zone in a flight suit and yeah, it's silly. What I lack in grace and beauty I make up for in sheer "let me fit 8000000 things in 3 minutes"

• Like (+1) 2

I'm sweating today, I tell you.

And I am just sitting here.

It's another scorcher here today.  This is not normal.

+++++

Just updated ...

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/hourly-weather-forecast/nova-scotia/bedford?wx_auto_reload=

Edited by N S
linkage ... similar to shrinkage ...

2 hours ago, josie said:

Oh yeah, I finally uploaded a performance I did a couple months back if anyone's interested- I did hoop and trapeze to Danger Zone in a flight suit and yeah, it's silly. What I lack in grace and beauty I make up for in sheer "let me fit 8000000 things in 3 minutes"

Very cool

I am down stretched a groin on last shift reaching to keep a puck in ? and my work out partner, my son screwing around in parking lot busted his wrist... radial buckle fracture so we are partially down for a few weeks ?

Edited by North Buffalo

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I walked four miles in 50:20. I dunno, I thought it was pretty good. No one else seems to be impressed. Maybe it's one of those things you have to try. Can you walk 110 yards in 47 seconds, then do it 63 more times?

That’s a brisk walk. I walk a lot at what I consider a decent pace and I’m usually around an hour for 4 Miles.

I was impressed until Google told me a Russian racewalker did 5K (3 Miles) in a little over 18 minutes.

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

That’s a brisk walk. I walk a lot at what I consider a decent pace and I’m usually around an hour for 4 Miles.

I was impressed until Google told me a Russian racewalker did 5K (3 Miles) in a little over 18 minutes.

It looks like the record mile in a recorded event is 5:30. https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/07/10/tom-bosworth-race-walk-world-record-mile/

It's amazing. You'd almost have to see it to believe it.

That's the goofy, waddling racewalking technique. I wonder what the record is for "normal walking"?

Yesterday I hiked up Mt Elbert, which is the tallest peak in CO (second tallest in the US) at ~14,400 ft. The trail was somewhere around 10-12 miles round trip and had 4400 ft of elevation gain. Views were awesome, but my quads hate me. :-s

IMG_20180804_114304135_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180804_122044.jpg

IMG_20180804_122306.jpg

• Like (+1) 5

On 8/6/2018 at 12:47 AM, biodork said:

Yesterday I hiked up Mt Elbert, which is the tallest peak in CO (second tallest in the US) at ~14,400 ft. The trail was somewhere around 10-12 miles round trip and had 4400 ft of elevation gain. Views were awesome, but my quads hate me. :-s

IMG_20180804_114304135_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180804_122044.jpg

IMG_20180804_122306.jpg

Just saw this now. As someone who greatly enjoyed Vail's Booth Falls Trail and who barely completed the Missouri Lakes Trail, I can say that your hiking is very impressive. 

Unfortunately I valued my relationship with my wife over finishing the 12 mile round trip loop. (She struggled with the altitude much more than I)

11 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Just saw this now. As someone who greatly enjoyed Vail's Booth Falls Trail and who barely completed the Missouri Lakes Trail, I can say that your hiking is very impressive. 

Unfortunately I valued my relationship with my wife over finishing the 12 mile round trip loop. (She struggled with the altitude much more than I)

I haven't done either of those yet, but they both look pretty legit!  It's too bad some people have such trouble with the elevation; I tried taking my mom on a hike near Vail Pass a few weeks ago (Shrine Ridge) to see the mountain flowers, and she loved the hike but after a little over a mile she was so dizzy I made her turn around. She was really disappointed to not get the whole way, but I told her it's not worth making her sick!

I'm down to 49:20 on my four-mile power walk. It's looking like a 12:00 mile could be possible but perhaps elusive. Perfect. When I finished last night, my pulse was 160, I was breathing fairly hard but nothing crazy, I had a great sweat going, and I felt great. There was chase, a sense of accomplishment, a tiny bit of adrenaline and some ego boost when I passed people and imagined them thinking, "Wow, that guy walks fast," (reality: "Wow, that guy's a weirdo"). Back in the car, the thought occurred to me: why run?

Edited by PASabreFan
Ancient aliens

I find my answer to why I do most things is either: why not? Or: because I can.

Running is faster than walking(yeah, yeah, no sh## Sherlock) in that I'm off the elliptical or treadmill in 25 minutes or less. I'm all about utilization of time.

Good on you for setting goals. And a lot of people exercise like weirdos. 

I actually do speed intervals.  So I will run for about 2 minutes then walk for 1 minute and alternate.  I started out at 90 seconds running and 1 minute resting.  I will vary it around.  Harder to do when on the road, but on the treadmills it's easy.  It actually has 4 speed settings for the intervals, so I have my warm-up/cool-down walk speed, my interval walk speed, my run speed and then a sprint speed.  

I can't (and don't want to) run for an extended period of time.  I hate running.  But I can handle this..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning on buying new skis this year. I've had them all picked out for the past 9 months and I've been saving up. I'll definitely be getting them. Now, I have a question for y'all. I've got an opportunity to pick up a different pair of skis. A pair of skis unrelated to anything I currently do on the mountain. I can snag an $1100 pair of Downhill FIS Racing skis for $150. I do compete in beer league races, but beer league only runs Giant Slalom, never Downhill, so they're no use to me there. No, I want them only to be able to hit 85mph on the slopes. It's like buying a Lamborghini to drive 5 times a year. I'm never going to be able to race them in competition, and I'm going to have to explain to my wife why I have 4 pairs of skis. 

Worth it? What say you?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.