The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

That's what about 15 miles?  That's a long ride if you don't ride regularly.  (When I first started riding again in 2008 I did 15 miles and I thought I was gonna DIE.)

AND it's on a trail, not asphalt.  That's a tough ride.

Nothing like what Egg does, but my 26-k trail ride yesterday with my daughter and the in laws was my longest in a long time and the destination was definitely worth it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Sometimes, I really hate where I live.

And by sometimes, I mean almost all the time.

Nothing like what Egg does, but my 26-k trail ride yesterday with my daughter and the in laws was my longest in a long time and the destination was definitely worth it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Don't minimize it.  Tell us how you almost died.

Well, I was like riding along and then, bam, I felt a shudder. I pedaled my butt out of there and when I turned around it looked like this:

dcnr_004066.jpg

Hey, that's the Kinzua Bridge in my neck of the woods. Well worth a visit. This picture is right after it was hit by a tornado, even as the bridge was being repaired. I was mad that they didn't rebuild it, because riding a steam engine over it was a thrilling experience and a big tourist attraction. But what we've ended up with is arguably even better and a bigger draw. They left the ruins on the forest floor and turned the bridge into a skywalk with an adrenaline-rushing glass floor at the end where you can stand and look down over 300 feet. A really nice visitors center and museum just opened. There's good hiking and fishing in the valley and plans to convert the rails to the bridge into a trail. Also sasquatch has been sighted in this area and it was featured on one of those goofy shows. He even answered a call by using a rock, or something, to knock on a fallen pillar.

(And, Eleven, here's your chance to " on" something nice down here. Payback for my HarborCenter crack of days gone by.)

Edited by PASabreFan

The bridge we were at was an old rail crossing called the Kinsol trestle that fell out of use in the late '70s. I think it was built in the '20s, and is reputed to be the biggest wooden trestle of its type in the Old British Commonwealth.

About 10 years ago, it was failing and had been repeatedly set on fire by vandals, so the authorities decided it was a liability and were going to tear it down. Community said no way and rallied to save it, nabbed some heritage grants and started rebuilding it instead. A local firm that had worked on wood restoration at Windsor castle or some such Brit landmark, as well as saving Robert Shackleton's outpost in Antarctica got on board, and it reopened to the public about four or five years ago.

Very cool structure and even better heritage preservation story. It's now probably the highlight of the Vancouver Island portion of the Trans-Canada Trail.

Edited by dudacek

I finally ran 3.1 without stopping, but in a sluggardly 31:54. Still. The next time, I ran faster and didn't have to stop until half a mile to go (and then shortly after that again) because I was struggling to breathe in the heat and humidity. 29:32. Progress. Grateful.

Last night I walked and ran a 7 mile course that is used for a local trail race. Some of it on dirt/gravel roads but mostly "single-track" trails in the woods. Running down some of these hills on narrow trails, stepping on and around roots and rocks, jumping over logs and puddles, and scooting across narrow planks that bridge little streams, is FUN! (As is yelling HEY BEAR! HEY BEAR! BOBBY HEBERT! from time to time.) I ran about four miles and walked about three (first two miles are steadily uphill and there was no way I was doing that right out of the gate) in 1:36.

My calves now put ink's (and Hank's) to shame.

Good on you, PA.

ubkev doesn't like the heat, so I'm taking it pretty easy in these dog days. However I am pacing my son while he's getting in shape for his cross country season. Think, Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I'm the trainer on the bike and he's Little Mac running behind me.

For those too old or too young...

Edited by ubkev

d4rk, some of my friends and I went hiking in Stony Brook yesterday. The weather held, and we got lots of good hiking in, lots of stair climbing. To top it off, we swam in the waterfalls. It was a pretty awesome day. d4rk even broke his 20 year old sandals! We taped them up with my friend's climbing tape- looked like the things were held together with TP by the end. 

I hope to get more hiking in before summer and fall leave- going to be tough to fit in with all of the weddings marching our way over the next couple months.

13875061_10207315664596350_871086872_n.j

13871970_10207315664356344_1713318977_n.

13875132_10207315664436346_397509239_n.j

Very nice!

Bike counts? I've been meaning to try that; I've been walking more since I'm desperate for approval from a little electronic doo-dad, but if the bike counts too I'd rather do that.

I haven't gotten anything close to accurate in the way of "steps" or miles on the bike, but...

It helps if you put the pedometer where it sees both the up and down strokes as steps (which is appropriate- it's like counting left and right steps).  So.... attach to your shoe, or, if I'm wearing cycling pants, up inside the pants just above the knee.

... maybe this is why?  I've never tried putting the Fitbit on my leg.  Will have to test that theory this weekend!

Very nice!

I haven't gotten anything close to accurate in the way of "steps" or miles on the bike, but...

... maybe this is why?  I've never tried putting the Fitbit on my leg.  Will have to test that theory this weekend!

I liked my Fitbit, jumped in the pool with it............. Fitbit no worky no mo

Well, 7 months since shoulder surgery and made it through my first week of regular workouts unscathed. Still some exercises that cause discomfort so I'll have to avoid them, but all in all, I'm essentially back to normal capability. Now to regain the ~15 pounds of muscle and strength I lost. Long road ahead (gonna be light weight high rep for awhile still), but happy to finally be on it.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Well, 7 months since shoulder surgery and made it through my first week of regular workouts unscathed. Still some exercises that cause discomfort so I'll have to avoid them, but all in all, I'm essentially back to normal capability. Now to regain the ~15 pounds of muscle and strength I lost. Long road ahead (gonna be light weight high rep for awhile still), but happy to finally be on it.

Great to hear!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.