The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

update.

Rode the horse.

The trainer, a really accomplished guy, does everything the complete opposite of everything I've ever learned. I felt like a complete fool, was so embarrassed. Just finished off my week of failure. 

But. He had me ride one of the horses that knows western pleasure lope- a very very slow, stylized jog. And as soon as I switched horses, everything went well. My reining came together. He prefers you learn to do EVERYTHING with your legs and not even really use the reins. Which is super neat but reallllllly difficult. 

My legs are super damn sore today. And my body. You forget that riding a horse is a full body workout if you do it right. 

All day sweat.  Rode 9 miles to the Habitat for Humanity build this morning.  Worked all day on the build (that's me toward the left in the light blue shirt in the rafters)

13221413_10101254275339144_5040908522126

The family we're building for

13244780_987546677960889_108338234721326

Rode home 12 miles (stopped of for some refreshment)

7_HhkbbRzWnhuXvLhzxuXSyqQOGX0GZqALKCwM5z

13173767_987447004637523_277912005344079

You will find that there is no better way to learn about a city than on the saddle of a bicycle. It's also a great way to meet people; make sure you check out local cycling groups. Enjoy!

I would like to call your saddle of a bicycle, and raise you a pair of running shoes.  I agree with you, but you also see different stuff when running!  More on that later....

I go to Runners' Roost, but same idea. Running sneaker prices can be kind of daunting, so I try to shop at the end of the year when all the 2015 models get discounted to make room for the 2016s. Got a pair of $125 Brooks Adrenaline for only $75.

Perhaps just a heads-up here.... the last year's version of running shoes are on clearance now.... someone else mentioned the Asics Cumulus 17... well the new ones came out (the 18's), so I just stocked up on the 17's.

And I get to go ride a horse for the first time in five years tomorrow! 

I rode a horse for the first time (since I was like, 8 years old) this past week!  Quads and groin were sore after, for sure.  I did actual cowboy stuff in Montana; my girlfriend and I went to visit/meet her family, it was great.  I helped move like 30 cattle, 2 miles to another pasture.  It was gorgeous out there.  I also did some great mountain biking, and a little hiking, canoeing, and fishing.  Oh, and beer drinking, of course.

Also, I successfully completed the Boston Marathon on April 18!  A 5.5-year project, completed at last.  I finally qualified with a 2:57 marathon last year.  The whole Boston Marathon weekend was such a great experience.  It's so weird for it to be over.

Now, on to more of a focus on ultimate (my true passion), rock climbing, biking (both road and mountain).  Probably will try a sprint triathlon or two later this summer as well, to see if I hook myself into that.

I really enjoy reading this thread and hearing about y'all's adventures and goals and whatnot!

Cereal, have you ever done a triathlon before? I've done a couple sprint tri's back in my prime. My biggest advice is to train the swim! 20k on a bike and a 5k run are cake compared to half a mile in the water.

I did my first sprint tri's when I was 21. The swim took me 18 minutes and I thought I was going to die coming out of the water. I can't remember how long I spent on the bike, but I know I did my 5k in 18 minutes and change. On my second one, a year later, I was out of the water in 12 minutes. I don't think I will ever be able to do better than that. Swimming is hard. Especially in open water.

Edited by ubkev

ub, you ran six-minute miles after all that swimming and biking? You stud.

Have you guys done any trail races? There's one here, marillatrailrace.com, that is seven miles and 14 miles. Way above my pay grade right now, but the seven-miler is an eventual goal.

Cereal, have you ever done a triathlon before? I've done a couple sprint tri's back in my prime. My biggest advice is to train the swim! 20k on a bike and a 5k run are cake compared to half a mile in the water.

I have not.  My experience will be much the same as yours.  I will be far weakest at the swim.  Although I did the mile swim at Boy Scout summer camp a couple times (like 15 years ago)!

Actually, I did do a 500m swim + 5k run duathlon(?) a few years ago, and confirmed that my swimming skillz are lacking.

Have you guys done any trail races? There's one here, marillatrailrace.com, that is seven miles and 14 miles. Way above my pay grade right now, but the seven-miler is an eventual goal.

So, it seems like trail running would be harder than road running, right?  Well, it's actually much harder than you'd think (at least for me).  I'd probably expect my mile splits to be a minute or two slower on the trails compared to road.  However, I'm also super paranoid (more than most people, I think) about rolling an ankle, and injuring myself for other activities.

A solid pair of trail running shoes is also very worth it!

So, it seems like trail running would be harder than road running, right?  Well, it's actually much harder than you'd think (at least for me).  I'd probably expect my mile splits to be a minute or two slower on the trails compared to road.  However, I'm also super paranoid (more than most people, I think) about rolling an ankle, and injuring myself for other activities.

Depends on the trail of course. If it's a footpath through the woods where you're jumping logs and rocks, sure. Part of this trail race is on a wide crushed gravel surface set up mainly for walkers. But here's another part of the race. And, no, I don't think she just lept off that boulder!

IMG_0129.jpg?format=1000w

I have not.  My experience will be much the same as yours.  I will be far weakest at the swim.  Although I did the mile swim at Boy Scout summer camp a couple times (like 15 years ago)!

Actually, I did do a 500m swim + 5k run duathlon(?) a few years ago, and confirmed that my swimming skillz are lacking.

Many years ago, I dated a girl who was into trail running.  50 milers.  Insane.

I would like to call your saddle of a bicycle, and raise you a pair of running shoes.  I agree with you, but you also see different stuff when running!  More on that later....

Perhaps just a heads-up here.... the last year's version of running shoes are on clearance now.... someone else mentioned the Asics Cumulus 17... well the new ones came out (the 18's), so I just stocked up on the 17's.

I rode a horse for the first time (since I was like, 8 years old) this past week!  Quads and groin were sore after, for sure.  I did actual cowboy stuff in Montana; my girlfriend and I went to visit/meet her family, it was great.  I helped move like 30 cattle, 2 miles to another pasture.  It was gorgeous out there.  I also did some great mountain biking, and a little hiking, canoeing, and fishing.  Oh, and beer drinking, of course.

Also, I successfully completed the Boston Marathon on April 18!  A 5.5-year project, completed at last.  I finally qualified with a 2:57 marathon last year.  The whole Boston Marathon weekend was such a great experience.  It's so weird for it to be over.

Now, on to more of a focus on ultimate (my true passion), rock climbing, biking (both road and mountain).  Probably will try a sprint triathlon or two later this summer as well, to see if I hook myself into that.

I really enjoy reading this thread and hearing about y'all's adventures and goals and whatnot!

Dude. We need to rename you Wheaties. 

You going to Wildwood this year, Cereal?

Of course!  Now that I am within driving distance (moved back to Rochester last year), I have no excuse to skip it.  Hitting the full gamut of northeast ultimate party tournaments this summer:  Poultry Days (finally!), Mars, Wildwood, Gender Blender (Toronto).  How about you?

ub, you ran six-minute miles after all that swimming and biking? You stud.

It was more based out of desire to not lose to my buddy. He beat me out of the water by like 4 minutes and I spent the rest of the bike and run trying to catch him.

... I failed.

The next year my 5k was in the high 19 mins, but my overall time ended up much better.

If I were to do one this summer, I think I'd be looking at something like an 18 minute swim(or maybe I'd just drown), maybe 55 minutes to an hour on the bike, and about a 24 minute 5k. I ain't as good as I once was. Lol

Edited by ubkev

Of course! Now that I am within driving distance (moved back to Rochester last year), I have no excuse to skip it. Hitting the full gamut of northeast ultimate party tournaments this summer: Poultry Days (finally!), Mars, Wildwood, Gender Blender (Toronto). How about you?

Yup, I'll be at Wildwood. I hafta get in shape because my body forgot how running works. WW is a great time, always one of the best weekends of the year.

Aw, you guys, big spiders are great. You can see big spiders coming. 

It's the little ones you gotta worry about. Like when you bump into a whole sack of em in your attic, and then you're jumping around screaming while you hit your head on the rafters. Not to mention you spend the next week waking up in a cold sweat, feeling like you've got little spiders crawling all over you...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.